yes another SLi vs Crossfire thread but different. read!!!

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ok well this is kinda SLi vs crossfire but iv heard the NF4 Ultra chipset + vid card is best. and i dont care for dual GPU's but is that true?

also can an NF4 SLi chip set run crossfire iv been hearing CF is just software.

also which gives better preformance SLi or CF?

i i SLi i will be 7600GT's or low-end(slower clocked) 7900GT's and if i CF ATi cards it will be X1800XT and ATi will be making an X1800GTO CF edition i believe.

the X1800's are cheaper.

thanks

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Wich one works better depends on the game... but most of the time SLI has the edge. I have been thinking about this myself, I am gonna go with SLI mainly becouse of the way ATI has that dongle the performance difference isnt realy enough to push the issue one way or the other.

ok well this is kinda SLi vs crossfire but iv heard the NF4 Ultra chipset + vid card is best. and i dont care for dual GPU's but is that true?

also can an NF4 SLi chip set run crossfire iv been hearing CF is just software.

Both are just software, can be done but both need hacked drivers. The ULi authorized drivers are out there and officially come from nV that enable SLi on any dual PEG mobo. And ATi even announced what some boutique OEMs already knew and were doing, you can run Xfire on SLi Mobos.

Here's mention of both in the same article;

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30291

As for single card performance, most reviews have shown the newer RD580s outperforming the NF4 solutions.

However, they still have a bit of a USB performance issue (about 85% that of the NF4s compared to the old RD4xx which had 40% performance) which is about the same as the ULi options. Although their SATA performance is now better than the NF4s, so it's a tradeoff.

also which gives better preformance SLi or CF?

As has been mentioned, very dependant on application and settings.

Both have their areas of stength.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
ATI will be making a x1800gto crossfire card ?from where-who did you hear this?That'll be interesting

Radeon X1300 , X1600 and X1800gto CrossFire Ready cards do not require an external connector or Master card. CrossFire mode is enabled via software and the cards communicate over the PCI Express® bus

S7A88Y

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
CF has a faster interface than SLI, plus the NF4 chipset isn't as stable as a ATi solution. Also wiht the R580's you can run both CF and SLI with some modded drivers.