Explorer failure and lockup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 16, 2005 2:32:32 PM

Recently I have started getting Explorer failure messages.
This happens if I have a specific explorer window open for a
particular folder, e.g. My Documents and at the same time I have a
main Windows Explorer window open.
When I close the main Windows Explorer window and then also close the
specific explorer window, they both close but up pops the Explorer
failure message. This happens regardless of which order I close them.

No matter how many times I try to close it, the pop-up keeps
re-appearing bang smack in the middle of the screen).

Shutting down Windows 98 (using any variety of options or DLL calls)
subsequently locks up my PC and I have to manually press the reset
switch - every time!

I keep my PC up to date with Windows Update and the latest installed
patch is KB896727. It is only since I installed this patch that the
above problem has started occurring.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

---
Pentium II
256MB RAM
Windows 98 original
ZoneAlarm 4.5.594 (latest that will run successfully on Windows 98
original)
AVG-Free 7.0.344, definitions up to date
September 16, 2005 2:32:33 PM

Gary D. wrote:
> Recently I have started getting Explorer failure messages.
> This happens if I have a specific explorer window open for a
> particular folder, e.g. My Documents and at the same time I have a
> main Windows Explorer window open.
> When I close the main Windows Explorer window and then also close the
> specific explorer window, they both close but up pops the Explorer
> failure message. This happens regardless of which order I close them.
>
> No matter how many times I try to close it, the pop-up keeps
> re-appearing bang smack in the middle of the screen).
>
> Shutting down Windows 98 (using any variety of options or DLL calls)
> subsequently locks up my PC and I have to manually press the reset
> switch - every time!
>
> I keep my PC up to date with Windows Update and the latest installed
> patch is KB896727. It is only since I installed this patch that the
> above problem has started occurring.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix for this?
>
> ---
> Pentium II
> 256MB RAM
> Windows 98 original
> ZoneAlarm 4.5.594 (latest that will run successfully on Windows 98
> original)
> AVG-Free 7.0.344, definitions up to date

I don't know if it's coincidence, but I started having similar problems
Last Monday after an AVG update. Got much better after the next update.
Not sure about the update numbers.

I've found explorer to be generally unstable. TotalCommander has been
MUCH more stable. It uses underlying msexplorer technology, so that
still crashes, but not as much. And the user interface is much better.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK