PCL on HP LaserJet 1015

Can anyone help? I have an HP LaserJet 1015 and I want to be able to
print "Hello World" in a couple of places/sizes, (for a start anyway)
using PCL.

I am told the file should be sent directly to the printer without it
going via a Windows program, which I understand would change the file.
I'm running XP Pro.

Any clues would be most welcome.

PeteGeo
1 answer Last reply
More about laserjet 1015

    [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
    to the cited author.]

    In article <b040d105.0502210151.4cee3030@posting.google.com>, petegeo47
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Can anyone help? I have an HP LaserJet 1015 and I want to be able to
    > print "Hello World" in a couple of places/sizes, (for a start anyway)
    > using PCL.
    >
    > I am told the file should be sent directly to the printer without it
    > going via a Windows program, which I understand would change the file.
    > I'm running XP Pro.
    >
    > Any clues would be most welcome.

    Create a text file with the code you want to print.

    If the printer is connected directly to a parallel port, you can do
    this:
    COPY /b FILENAME PRN

    If the printer is on a USB port, you need to share it first. Just
    right-click it from start/printers, and turn on sharing, giving it a
    simple name (no spaces.)

    Create a dummy printer port (optional):
    NET USE LPT2 \\yourprinter\printershare (This will not work with
    Win9x/ME)

    You can then do:
    COPY /b filename LPT2

    You can also print to yours, or any network printer, like this:
    COPY /b filename \\thecomputer\printershare

    The '/b' means to do a binary copy (use the file size to know how much
    to copy). Without that, Windows will stop at the first Ctrl-Z character
    it finds, a legacy of the CP/M operating system MS-DOS was sort-of
    emulating. In those days, files were often stored in 256 or 512-byte
    blocks without exact byte sizes stored in the directory. The ^Z (Ctrl-Z)
    marked the end of a text file so it didn't continue and send junk.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals