Your question

Possible Computer

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Media Center
Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2006 4:57:44 AM

Hey guys, You may remember me posting before, I was looking for a good media center pc, and I found this deal online that caught my attention because it has pretty much everything I need. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

My question basically is, do you folks think this is worth buying now at this discounted price, or should I try to stick it out until July/August for the conroe? Keep in Mind I have to throw in a 7900gt in there still so thats another 300$.

-Oly

More about : computer

May 8, 2006 7:42:51 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, You may remember me posting before, I was looking for a good media center pc, and I found this deal online that caught my attention because it has pretty much everything I need. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

My question basically is, do you folks think this is worth buying now at this discounted price, or should I try to stick it out until July/August for the conroe? Keep in Mind I have to throw in a 7900gt in there still so thats another 300$.

-Oly

yea its good! but if and only if the mobo supports Conroe... which u have to find out!
a c 487 à CPUs
May 8, 2006 7:57:52 AM

Quote:

Tough call, performance wise you should wait, however, prices are low in anticipation of Conroe. You might consider researching the MB and determine if it is Conroe compatible, if so, then buy it. Play with it for a year, get your 7900 GT and save up 200 or 300 and get a drop in Conroe when you can afford it, this only works if you are certain that the MB supports Conroe.

Jack

The mobo is based on the i945G. Considering that there is no confirmation yet that the i975X will be compatible iwth Conroe, it is very remote, at best, that such an old chipset will be compatible with Conroe.
Related resources
May 8, 2006 8:16:11 AM

The thing is you can wait for Conroe or after it hits and makes the older cpu cheaper. That way you get some good deal.
May 8, 2006 8:34:40 AM

Quote:

-Oly

Please don't do it.....

It's an 820 which is pretty bad...

The chipset is an 945G and will not support anything much better and will not support a conroe.

The RAM is PC2-4200 (533MHz) which is terrible.

And it has Intel integrated graphics which is worse than my 16bit ISA VGA card ( I'm kidding but you get the point ).
May 8, 2006 8:50:16 AM

Yes an 820 is not great at all, for it is very limited and is not overclockable nor supported with good overclocking mobo. Those cpu are only good at stock retail pc like gateway, dell etc.
May 8, 2006 9:01:54 AM

Quote:
Yes an 820 is not great at all, for it is very limited and is not overclockable nor supported with good overclocking mobo. Those cpu are only good at stock retail pc like gateway, dell etc.

:-D

Indeed.... with those specs a $300 Sempron system may be able to beat it....

I would not recommend that system.

If it was half that price maybe.... and even then I wouldn't get it for anyone but my worst enemy.
May 8, 2006 9:02:03 AM

Quote:

-Oly

Please don't do it.....

It's an 820 which is pretty bad...

The chipset is an 945G and will not support anything much better and will not support a conroe.

The RAM is PC2-4200 (533MHz) which is terrible.

And it has Intel integrated graphics which is worse than my 16bit ISA VGA card ( I'm kidding but you get the point ).

Plus, it's a Gateway. Gateway = Crap.

Gateway (along with Dell, HP, Toshiba, et al) use the absolute cheapest parts they can buy. Cheapest RAM, cheapest PSU, cheapest Motherboard... You get the idea.

If you can't/won't build it yourself, at least buy from a local shop that builds their own (i.e. doesn't buy from the big-brands).

One of the major things you should keep in mind is the service and warantee. Most people do not realize that it is S.O.P. for all the big companies to wipe and reload your hard drive if you send it in for anything. Problem with your DVD-RW? Wipe/reload the hard drive! They don't give a damn about your data. They will screw you in every way possible on the warantee. You will have to deal with tech support from India who only speak enough English to read from a script.

Do not buy a computer from these people. You will regret it down the road.
May 8, 2006 5:33:46 PM

What makes the 820 so bad? I heard it runs a bit hotter, but Gateway says the BTX case design is supposed to reduce the heat for those parts. I am curious why the pc2-4200 Ram is no good either?
May 8, 2006 7:03:53 PM

there is nothing wrong with an 820 in real terms it is as good as a X2 3800. perhaps not ideal if you intend on gaming i assume that is what the 7900GT is for! but if its just going to be media centre then it will be fine. but seriously if you can wait for Conroe then do, you will then get a kick ass CPU that runs incredibly cool making it perfect for a hush hush media centre PC they come out in July so not long to wait
May 8, 2006 9:23:01 PM

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with an 820 in real terms it is as good as a X2 3800. perhaps not ideal if you intend on gaming i assume that is what the 7900GT is for! but if its just going to be media centre then it will be fine. but seriously if you can wait for Conroe then do, you will then get a kick ass CPU that runs incredibly cool making it perfect for a hush hush media centre PC they come out in July so not long to wait

AMD is currently quite a bit better for gaming and virtually everything else.

This is why Intel was forced to price their CPUs so aggressively.

If this was a decent system I'd say ok but this is an 820 with a pathetic 945G, Intel graphics and PC2-4200 made for Gateway in some sweatshop somewhere.

They threw the cheapest components they could get their hands on in there, it probably has a $5 PSU and $20 motherboard. The PSU will probably die within 4 weeks powering a 7900GT.
May 10, 2006 3:20:24 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I went to go check one out in the store and I think its not quite what I had in mind. I also want to get a computer a little more current instead of one that was excess stock of old inventory. I decided I am going to go with this instead, as I have been happy with all the HP stuff I have owned. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center...

Remember I need a media center PC, and it has to have a TV tuner. I checked this one out and the build feels more solid, and it has better features, like 1 gig sticks of ram, instead of doing 512 x 4. I think it seems like a good PC, a little on the high side for cost, I need to stay about 1k or 1.1k but I want something that will last.
So I guess my question is....
Do you all feel this is a better choice than the gateway?
May 10, 2006 3:49:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, I went to go check one out in the store and I think its not quite what I had in mind. I also want to get a computer a little more current instead of one that was excess stock of old inventory. I decided I am going to go with this instead, as I have been happy with all the HP stuff I have owned. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center...

Remember I need a media center PC, and it has to have a TV tuner. I checked this one out and the build feels more solid, and it has better features, like 1 gig sticks of ram, instead of doing 512 x 4. I think it seems like a good PC, a little on the high side for cost, I need to stay about 1k or 1.1k but I want something that will last.
So I guess my question is....
Do you all feel this is a better choice than the gateway?

It's better yes, but not by much.

It's twice the price and you still get PC2-4200, a sucky chipset and an nVidia 7300 which the lowest end card in the 7xxx series.

You could do much better than that.

What are you planning to use this beast for?

I thought you needed a 7900GT or better?
May 10, 2006 4:02:18 AM

The 7900 gt I planned on putting in myself. I know you really can't buy a pc with good graphics capability without paying out the ying yang for it. So I planned to buy one and put it in as a given. I like the feel of the HP's a bit better. I am trying to stick with what retail channels have to offer in case I need to return it, I would prefer to buy from Circuit City because I work there (I sell TV's) and I will get a discount. I am using this machine for multimedia stuff, like recording TV, music, and definitely some games (the 7900gt is so I don't have framerate that sucks). I don't want to build a pc this time, because there is no advantage to me doing so price wise. The Hp seems fairly well put together, and it has almost all the features I wanted. I am getting close to buying one, but I was hoping to hear some positive feedback about this possible pc.
May 10, 2006 4:08:34 AM

Just to put this in perspective, this is what I have now http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_desktop_FT9150.asp

except mine is even older, it has a smaller hard drive and a 2.53 Prestonia P4. So, whatever I upgrade to is going to be a major move upwards. I am using a computer I bought in June of 2002!
May 10, 2006 4:09:54 AM

I wish I could have given it better marks but it's not that much better than the gateway given the $1200 price tag.

What else do they carry in-store?

Can you afford to wait 13 days for AM2?
May 10, 2006 4:13:57 AM

I was hoping to stick with Intel Processors, I have an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ in my notebook, and honestly I don't think it performs that well, I have not been very impressed with it. You really think the AM2 platform is gonna make that much difference, its just going to DDR2 but using the same processors right?
May 10, 2006 4:48:23 AM

NOPE, its new Processers, because you need to make new processers to fit the new sockets AM2. and the DDR2 switch is just a extra feature, not really a big deal

BTW, people who did not know that AM2 is a new socket standard, well know it now. *AM2 is a socket not a processer*
May 10, 2006 5:00:50 AM

Quote:
I was hoping to stick with Intel Processors, I have an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ in my notebook, and honestly I don't think it performs that well, I have not been very impressed with it. You really think the AM2 platform is gonna make that much difference, its just going to DDR2 but using the same processors right?

If you are planning to get an Intel you should wait until Summer to see if con-eo delivers.

AMD64s currently beat the P4 based Intel CPUs in virtually all benchmarks despite a 1.2GHz core clock deficit so getting a 930 doesn't make any sense. Either wait for a Non-P4 Intel or AM2 or AMD64 @ 65nm.

The P4 is obsolete.

PS You cannot compare notebooks to desktops, many notebooks are crippled or under perform desktops even when they use desktop CPUs.
May 10, 2006 6:33:09 AM

Quote:

Laptops will always be out-performed by desktops. Always always always. If you spent $3,000 on a laptop, you could get a desktop for 1/2 - 2/3 the price that would out-perform it. Don't judge AMD based on your laptop experience. You have a great number of things on there bottlenecking your performance (integrated graphics, 5400 RPM hard drive, and a need for everything to run cool and take as little power as possible).

And why are you not building this yourself? It is the only way (shy of having someone you trust build it for you) to get quality parts all around. All of the big companies skimp and cut corners wherever they can. All of them. Even HP (though I admit they are a better choice than Gateway).
May 10, 2006 7:57:17 AM

Quote:

Laptops will always be out-performed by desktops. Always always always. If you spent $3,000 on a laptop, you could get a desktop for 1/2 - 2/3 the price that would out-perform it. Don't judge AMD based on your laptop experience. You have a great number of things on there bottlenecking your performance (integrated graphics, 5400 RPM hard drive, and a need for everything to run cool and take as little power as possible).

And why are you not building this yourself? It is the only way (shy of having someone you trust build it for you) to get quality parts all around. All of the big companies skimp and cut corners wherever they can. All of them. Even HP (though I admit they are a better choice than Gateway).

I couldn't agree more. :-D :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

It doesn't matter how good certain components are they will always under perform similar desktops because of the inherent bottlenecks.
May 10, 2006 11:44:29 AM

Quote:

OMG What was Oly whineing about again. how is'nt a 3800+ not a good performer? I have a Overclocked 1700+ and omg, it does light years better than my friends 3.0Ghz non-HT (HP) p4. lols because i go overthere and open up tomshardware and omg it took almost 7 minutes to load the page. and his programs loaded at rates of 4-5 minutes. My 1700+(o/c'd) does like 2 second page loads and my word opens in 12-15 sceonds. Considering that he has 1gig DDR 400 and i have 256 mb DDR 333 :p  ifeel so happy my entrylevel AMD does better than most all p4(non-Ht)
May 10, 2006 9:30:43 PM

Quote:
What if you put a laptop CPU in a desktop motherboard?

Those run fine, because on a desktop motherboard you have a completely different BIOS. It's not constantly trying to speed-step the CPU in order to save power. The motherboard is also more performance-oriented, where as laptop motherboards are geared towards the best ballence of performance/power.

In fact, some laptop CPUs run better than their desktop versions (see Pentium M versus Pentium 4). But again, that is with desktop motherboard/RAM/HDD/VGA.
!