system disk - desperate for answer

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Question
I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
drive in
an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
machine, can we????

ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
HAHA!!

THANKS!!

"Dana" wrote:

> Question
> I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> drive in
> an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> machine, can we????
>
> ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> HAHA!!
>
> THANKS!!

"cross_the_border731@yahoo.com"
NO Don't use the Windows XP for the 98!
Check what model it is.
then go to the manufacture's website to see if they have any drivers
available for your model.

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I didn't think that would be a good idea! HA! It's tricky getting her to
download any drivers - doubt that's do-able. But maybe I can get her to tell
me the model, I can download em and email them back to her.... Argh...

Win 98 doesnt' just "see" the drive???!!

Thanks for your time!!

"Cross_the_border" wrote:

> "Dana" wrote:
>
> > Question
> > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> > drive in
> > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> > machine, can we????
> >
> > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> > HAHA!!
> >
> > THANKS!!
>
> "cross_the_border731@yahoo.com"
> NO Don't use the Windows XP for the 98!
> Check what model it is.
> then go to the manufacture's website to see if they have any drivers
> available for your model.

Windows 98 typically detects new hardware during bootup. If this isn't
happening, she probably needs to start the computer in Safe mode by
tapping the F8 key repeatedly during bootup, then going to Control
Panel, System, Device Manager and removing any unnecessary or
duplicate device drivers. She may be prompted for her Windows
98 CD.

Ben

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31B9B32F-FAAF-46AD-BEC1-AA25E7F80019@microsoft.com...
> Question
> I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> drive in
> an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> machine, can we????
>
> ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> HAHA!!
>
> THANKS!!

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks Ben, I think we'll probably have to check out the device manager
eventually! Those duplicate drivers would be in the CD ROM area of DM or
elsewhere?

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Windows 98 typically detects new hardware during bootup. If this isn't
> happening, she probably needs to start the computer in Safe mode by
> tapping the F8 key repeatedly during bootup, then going to Control
> Panel, System, Device Manager and removing any unnecessary or
> duplicate device drivers. She may be prompted for her Windows
> 98 CD.
>
> Ben
>
> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31B9B32F-FAAF-46AD-BEC1-AA25E7F80019@microsoft.com...
> > Question
> > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> > drive in
> > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> > machine, can we????
> >
> > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> > HAHA!!
> >
> > THANKS!!

She is trying to install a CD-ROM drive in place of the broken DVD drive? She does
not need any special drivers, but she *does* have to be sure the jumper on the CD
drive is set correctly, and the cables are connected correctly.

Is the BIOS "seeing" the CD drive when the computer starts up...showing it on the
boot screens?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question
> I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> drive in
> an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> machine, can we????
>
> ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> HAHA!!
>
> THANKS!!

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.

I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....

When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!

Funny thing is, the person this computer is going to - could care less about
cds, etc, but she does want her email and that software is on a CD! HAHA!!

Thanks!

> man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
> they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
> sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
> initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
> booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.

The most probable cause is because the Master/slave jumpers are not properly
set. The HD must be set as the Master and the CD-ROM must be set as the Slave.

> I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
> cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
> HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
> the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....

Most likely the jumper has been removed and she will need to take the one off
the DVD drive to use on the CD drive. One end of the ribbon cable is connected
to the motherboard, the other to the HD set as Master and the CD drive set as
Slave is connected to the center connector on the ribbon cable.

Most drives have a diagram on the top of the drive showing jumper settings.
If they're still having problems figuring it out, please supply the Make/Model
of both the HD and CD-ROM drive.

> When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
> should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!

That would depend on the machines specs.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ok, well bad news - it's still giving a DISK Boot failure.....
I think it's time to *boot* something alright.......>:-(

"Dana" wrote:

> man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
> they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
> sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
> initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
> booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.
>
> I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
> cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
> HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
> the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....
>
> When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
> should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!
>
> Funny thing is, the person this computer is going to - could care less about
> cds, etc, but she does want her email and that software is on a CD! HAHA!!
>
> Thanks!
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > She is trying to install a CD-ROM drive in place of the broken DVD drive? She does
> > not need any special drivers, but she *does* have to be sure the jumper on the CD
> > drive is set correctly, and the cables are connected correctly.
> >
> > Is the BIOS "seeing" the CD drive when the computer starts up...showing it on the
> > boot screens?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Question
> > > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> > > drive in
> > > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> > > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> > > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> > > machine, can we????
> > >
> > > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> > > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> > > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> > > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> > > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> > > HAHA!!
> > >
> > > THANKS!!

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing. STill get
a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through that
on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said the
choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)

Reboot - same error message.

"Dana" wrote:

> man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
> they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
> sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
> initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
> booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.
>
> I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
> cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
> HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
> the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....
>
> When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
> should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!
>
> Funny thing is, the person this computer is going to - could care less about
> cds, etc, but she does want her email and that software is on a CD! HAHA!!
>
> Thanks!
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > She is trying to install a CD-ROM drive in place of the broken DVD drive? She does
> > not need any special drivers, but she *does* have to be sure the jumper on the CD
> > drive is set correctly, and the cables are connected correctly.
> >
> > Is the BIOS "seeing" the CD drive when the computer starts up...showing it on the
> > boot screens?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Question
> > > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
> > > drive in
> > > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
> > > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
> > > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> > > machine, can we????
> > >
> > > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
> > > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> > > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> > > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> > > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
> > > HAHA!!
> > >
> > > THANKS!!

Windows typically detects all hardware during setup and can usually handle
devices added afterward, but when hardware is removed, the drivers should
be removed in Safe mode to free up the resources that become available. If
Windows 98 is already running and this doesn't help, see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=151911 since this may be the cause of
the problem.

Ben

> ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing.

HD set as Master is fine, CD set as NONE is NOT. The CD must be set as Slave
if it is on the same IDE channel as the HD. A setting as NONE means that no
other devices are attached to the ribbon cable.

STill get
> a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through that
> on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
> her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said the
> choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)

Get the drives jumpererd properly first, then if there is still a "boot disk
failure", we can deal with that.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ok brian,

so first we jumper the CD as slave.... would we start up with the system
disk in?

I finally did get a win98 boot disk file off the net to email her which she
just used to boot from - it doesn't find the cd (obviously) and is giving her
a ton of troubleshooting / help info

"Brian A." wrote:

> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing.
>
> HD set as Master is fine, CD set as NONE is NOT. The CD must be set as Slave
> if it is on the same IDE channel as the HD. A setting as NONE means that no
> other devices are attached to the ribbon cable.
>

> STill get
> > a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through that
> > on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
> > her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said the
> > choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)
>
> Get the drives jumpererd properly first, then if there is still a "boot disk
> failure", we can deal with that.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing. STill
get
> a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through
that
> on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
> her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said
the
> choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)

You or your client would probably benefit from having
some sort of reference book available. Manuals distributed
free with main boards usually tell you how to connect
drives and other "peripherals." Standard methods are
described in manuals like Scott Mueller's Upgrading and
Repairing PCs of which libraries have many old editions.

Connecting any two drive to a PC via IDE (wide data
cable) has two features.
1. Jumpers on each drive must be set. You need
the HD including C:\ to be set Master. Any other
drive on the same IDE connector must be set Slave.
It is wrong to have " cd is set to nothing." The
CD drive should be jumpered to Slave when on the
same IDE line as the HD with C:\

2. The data cable has at least three connectors,
one on each end and one intermediate connector.
With luck the socket on the main board is so shaped
that the IDE connector fits OK only in the right
orientation and not the other.
3. It does not matter whether the HD goes on the
connector at the other end or the intermediate
connector (says Mueller, 8th edition, p.647.)
There may be a difference between the drive
connectors (pin 28, see manual.) But if you
have correctly done steps 1 and 2 above, and
the system does not boot C:\ it should be
fairly easy to swap the two drive connections.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

If the boot disk is not in the floppy drive when she gets the error message,
she needs to change the boot disk order in the BIOS. Look in the BIOS under
"setup options" or similar for "boot sequence" or similar. Set the boot order
for: A, HD, CD. Save and reboot without the 98 boot disk in the floppy drive.
Post back with the results.

--

> Brian,
> Ok, set the jumpers on the cd as slave. HD is a master. Still getting the
> Disk Boot Failure....
>

> "Dana" wrote:
>
>> ok brian,
>>
>> so first we jumper the CD as slave.... would we start up with the system
>> disk in?
>>
>> I finally did get a win98 boot disk file off the net to email her which she
>> just used to boot from - it doesn't find the cd (obviously) and is giving her
>> a ton of troubleshooting / help info
>>
>> "Brian A." wrote:
>>
>> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > HD set as Master is fine, CD set as NONE is NOT. The CD must be set as
>> > Slave
>> > if it is on the same IDE channel as the HD. A setting as NONE means that
>> > no
>> > other devices are attached to the ribbon cable.
>> >

>> > STill get
>> >
>> > Get the drives jumpererd properly first, then if there is still a "boot
>> > disk
>> > failure", we can deal with that.
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>> >
>> > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Brian,
I was also thinking it was a boot-order issue, but we pooped out.... This
was an all afternoon over the phone thing with my 65-year-old mother! I CAN'T
TAKE IT ANYMORE!! HA!! But I did pretty good in getting her to take the HD
and CD out and move the jumpers! We did venture into the bios once or twice,
but .......

The Bios are hard to navigate over the phone and I'm not sure I could get
her to boot order area but MEANWHILE, I can't thank you enough for ALL your
help - After eleventybillion phone calls, and at this risk of us killing each
other
(over the phone), I "gave up" and said I really didn't know what else to do.
Since this was for a friend of my mom's, we've now convinced her to buck up
and go buy a new computer.. Anyone in the market for a boat anchor??!!

I do appreciate your help - maybe I'll tackle it another time - but really,
I kinda doubt it.... it would mean my driving to go pick it up and with gas
at $3 a gallon, that's not likely!!

Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

Thanks again,

> P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
> this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

ROFL!!

Neither and both, <bg>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Just for "fun". Everyone here is a user just like you (well, maybe not *just* like
you ;-)) and does this on a totally voluntary basis without monetary compensation.
As for MS-MVPs, they are just users who have worked on these groups and elsewhere
for a long time, with a good rate of success, and have been awarded for their
persistence (read: stubbornness) and accuracy in solving computer-related problems
and supplying information. :)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
> this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

| Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask -
is
| this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

It's therapy these days in most loony bins now that lobotomy is
outlawed, you'll soon see!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Brian,
| I was also thinking it was a boot-order issue, but we pooped out....
This
| was an all afternoon over the phone thing with my 65-year-old mother!
I CAN'T
| TAKE IT ANYMORE!! HA!! But I did pretty good in getting her to take
the HD
| and CD out and move the jumpers! We did venture into the bios once or
twice,
| but .......
|
| The Bios are hard to navigate over the phone and I'm not sure I could
get
| her to boot order area but MEANWHILE, I can't thank you enough for
ALL your
| help - After eleventybillion phone calls, and at this risk of us
killing each
| other
| (over the phone), I "gave up" and said I really didn't know what else
to do.
| Since this was for a friend of my mom's, we've now convinced her to
buck up
| and go buy a new computer.. Anyone in the market for a boat anchor??!!
|
| I do appreciate your help - maybe I'll tackle it another time - but
really,
| I kinda doubt it.... it would mean my driving to go pick it up and
with gas
| at $3 a gallon, that's not likely!!
|
| Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask -
is
| this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!
|
| Thanks again,
|
| "Brian A." wrote:
|
| > If the boot disk is not in the floppy drive when she gets the
error message,
| > she needs to change the boot disk order in the BIOS. Look in the
BIOS under
| > "setup options" or similar for "boot sequence" or similar. Set the
boot order
| > for: A, HD, CD. Save and reboot without the 98 boot disk in the
floppy drive.
| > Post back with the results.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
| >
| > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| >

| > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Brian,
| > > Ok, set the jumpers on the cd as slave. HD is a master. Still
getting the
| > > Disk Boot Failure....

Detection - which

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I do appreciate your help - maybe I'll tackle it another time - but
really,
> I kinda doubt it.... it would mean my driving to go pick it up and with
gas
> at $3 a gallon, that's not likely!!

$3 a gallon - if only <sigh> $6 a gallon here in UK. :-(

Zippy