system disk - desperate for answer

Question
I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
drive in
an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
machine, can we????

ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
HAHA!!

THANKS!!
19 answers Last reply
More about system disk desperate answer

    "Dana" wrote:

    > Question
    > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > drive in
    > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > machine, can we????
    >
    > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > HAHA!!
    >
    > THANKS!!

    "cross_the_border731@yahoo.com"
    NO Don't use the Windows XP for the 98!
    Check what model it is.
    then go to the manufacture's website to see if they have any drivers
    available for your model.

    I didn't think that would be a good idea! HA! It's tricky getting her to
    download any drivers - doubt that's do-able. But maybe I can get her to tell
    me the model, I can download em and email them back to her.... Argh...

    Win 98 doesnt' just "see" the drive???!!

    Thanks for your time!!

    "Cross_the_border" wrote:

    > "Dana" wrote:
    >
    > > Question
    > > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > > drive in
    > > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > > machine, can we????
    > >
    > > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > > HAHA!!
    > >
    > > THANKS!!
    >
    > "cross_the_border731@yahoo.com"
    > NO Don't use the Windows XP for the 98!
    > Check what model it is.
    > then go to the manufacture's website to see if they have any drivers
    > available for your model.

    Windows 98 typically detects new hardware during bootup. If this isn't
    happening, she probably needs to start the computer in Safe mode by
    tapping the F8 key repeatedly during bootup, then going to Control
    Panel, System, Device Manager and removing any unnecessary or
    duplicate device drivers. She may be prompted for her Windows
    98 CD.

    Ben

    "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31B9B32F-FAAF-46AD-BEC1-AA25E7F80019@microsoft.com...
    > Question
    > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > drive in
    > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > machine, can we????
    >
    > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > HAHA!!
    >
    > THANKS!!

    Thanks Ben, I think we'll probably have to check out the device manager
    eventually! Those duplicate drivers would be in the CD ROM area of DM or
    elsewhere?

    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > Windows 98 typically detects new hardware during bootup. If this isn't
    > happening, she probably needs to start the computer in Safe mode by
    > tapping the F8 key repeatedly during bootup, then going to Control
    > Panel, System, Device Manager and removing any unnecessary or
    > duplicate device drivers. She may be prompted for her Windows
    > 98 CD.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31B9B32F-FAAF-46AD-BEC1-AA25E7F80019@microsoft.com...
    > > Question
    > > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > > drive in
    > > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > > machine, can we????
    > >
    > > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > > HAHA!!
    > >
    > > THANKS!!

    She is trying to install a CD-ROM drive in place of the broken DVD drive? She does
    not need any special drivers, but she *does* have to be sure the jumper on the CD
    drive is set correctly, and the cables are connected correctly.

    Is the BIOS "seeing" the CD drive when the computer starts up...showing it on the
    boot screens?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Question
    > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > drive in
    > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > machine, can we????
    >
    > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > HAHA!!
    >
    > THANKS!!

    man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
    they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
    sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
    initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
    booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.

    I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
    cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
    HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
    the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....

    When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
    should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!

    Funny thing is, the person this computer is going to - could care less about
    cds, etc, but she does want her email and that software is on a CD! HAHA!!

    Thanks!

    > man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
    > they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
    > sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
    > initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
    > booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.

    The most probable cause is because the Master/slave jumpers are not properly
    set. The HD must be set as the Master and the CD-ROM must be set as the Slave.

    > I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
    > cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
    > HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
    > the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....

    Most likely the jumper has been removed and she will need to take the one off
    the DVD drive to use on the CD drive. One end of the ribbon cable is connected
    to the motherboard, the other to the HD set as Master and the CD drive set as
    Slave is connected to the center connector on the ribbon cable.

    Most drives have a diagram on the top of the drive showing jumper settings.
    If they're still having problems figuring it out, please supply the Make/Model
    of both the HD and CD-ROM drive.

    > When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
    > should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!

    That would depend on the machines specs.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ok, well bad news - it's still giving a DISK Boot failure.....
    I think it's time to *boot* something alright.......>:-(

    "Dana" wrote:

    > man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
    > they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
    > sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
    > initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
    > booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.
    >
    > I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
    > cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
    > HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
    > the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....
    >
    > When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
    > should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!
    >
    > Funny thing is, the person this computer is going to - could care less about
    > cds, etc, but she does want her email and that software is on a CD! HAHA!!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > She is trying to install a CD-ROM drive in place of the broken DVD drive? She does
    > > not need any special drivers, but she *does* have to be sure the jumper on the CD
    > > drive is set correctly, and the cables are connected correctly.
    > >
    > > Is the BIOS "seeing" the CD drive when the computer starts up...showing it on the
    > > boot screens?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Question
    > > > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > > > drive in
    > > > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > > > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > > > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > > > machine, can we????
    > > >
    > > > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > > > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > > > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > > > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > > > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > > > HAHA!!
    > > >
    > > > THANKS!!

    ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing. STill get
    a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through that
    on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
    her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said the
    choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)

    Reboot - same error message.

    "Dana" wrote:

    > man, oh man, it's getting weirder and weirder... The DVD wasn't working when
    > they started up the computer I gave her. (I think it used to work - it's been
    > sitting for two years). So......... we took the CDROM drive out of the
    > initial computr where the modem was wonky.... When she put that drive in and
    > booted, she got a BOOT DISK FAILURE message.
    >
    > I just talked to her (she's in austin - I'm in San Atnonio) and the ribbon
    > cable IS plugged into both the CD and the HD..... SO! i asked her to take the
    > HD out and set the jumpers to MASTER (not easy over the phone!) - She said
    > the CD didn't have any jumper plastic thingies....
    >
    > When she gets the HD back in, should we just be able to turn it on and it
    > should just go like lightnin'!! ????? ARGH!!
    >
    > Funny thing is, the person this computer is going to - could care less about
    > cds, etc, but she does want her email and that software is on a CD! HAHA!!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > She is trying to install a CD-ROM drive in place of the broken DVD drive? She does
    > > not need any special drivers, but she *does* have to be sure the jumper on the CD
    > > drive is set correctly, and the cables are connected correctly.
    > >
    > > Is the BIOS "seeing" the CD drive when the computer starts up...showing it on the
    > > boot screens?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Question
    > > > I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
    > > > drive in
    > > > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
    > > > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
    > > > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
    > > > machine, can we????
    > > >
    > > > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
    > > > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
    > > > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
    > > > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
    > > > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
    > > > HAHA!!
    > > >
    > > > THANKS!!

    Windows typically detects all hardware during setup and can usually handle
    devices added afterward, but when hardware is removed, the drivers should
    be removed in Safe mode to free up the resources that become available. If
    Windows 98 is already running and this doesn't help, see
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=151911 since this may be the cause of
    the problem.

    Ben

    > ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing.

    HD set as Master is fine, CD set as NONE is NOT. The CD must be set as Slave
    if it is on the same IDE channel as the HD. A setting as NONE means that no
    other devices are attached to the ribbon cable.

    STill get
    > a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through that
    > on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
    > her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said the
    > choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)

    Get the drives jumpererd properly first, then if there is still a "boot disk
    failure", we can deal with that.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ok brian,

    so first we jumper the CD as slave.... would we start up with the system
    disk in?

    I finally did get a win98 boot disk file off the net to email her which she
    just used to boot from - it doesn't find the cd (obviously) and is giving her
    a ton of troubleshooting / help info

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing.
    >
    > HD set as Master is fine, CD set as NONE is NOT. The CD must be set as Slave
    > if it is on the same IDE channel as the HD. A setting as NONE means that no
    > other devices are attached to the ribbon cable.
    >

    > STill get
    > > a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through that
    > > on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
    > > her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said the
    > > choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)
    >
    > Get the drives jumpererd properly first, then if there is still a "boot disk
    > failure", we can deal with that.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >
    > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > ok, well, the HD is set to master now and the cd is set to nothing. STill
    get
    > a Disk Boot Failure - in the bios - (really hard to make my way through
    that
    > on the phone), she has the choice of IDE Hard Disk Detection - which takes
    > her to Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, et.c.... She said
    the
    > choices are N for SKIP and 1 for Yes.... I told her to pick yes(??)

    You or your client would probably benefit from having
    some sort of reference book available. Manuals distributed
    free with main boards usually tell you how to connect
    drives and other "peripherals." Standard methods are
    described in manuals like Scott Mueller's Upgrading and
    Repairing PCs of which libraries have many old editions.

    Connecting any two drive to a PC via IDE (wide data
    cable) has two features.
    1. Jumpers on each drive must be set. You need
    the HD including C:\ to be set Master. Any other
    drive on the same IDE connector must be set Slave.
    It is wrong to have " cd is set to nothing." The
    CD drive should be jumpered to Slave when on the
    same IDE line as the HD with C:\

    2. The data cable has at least three connectors,
    one on each end and one intermediate connector.
    With luck the socket on the main board is so shaped
    that the IDE connector fits OK only in the right
    orientation and not the other.
    3. It does not matter whether the HD goes on the
    connector at the other end or the intermediate
    connector (says Mueller, 8th edition, p.647.)
    There may be a difference between the drive
    connectors (pin 28, see manual.) But if you
    have correctly done steps 1 and 2 above, and
    the system does not boot C:\ it should be
    fairly easy to swap the two drive connections.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    If the boot disk is not in the floppy drive when she gets the error message,
    she needs to change the boot disk order in the BIOS. Look in the BIOS under
    "setup options" or similar for "boot sequence" or similar. Set the boot order
    for: A, HD, CD. Save and reboot without the 98 boot disk in the floppy drive.
    Post back with the results.

    --

    > Brian,
    > Ok, set the jumpers on the cd as slave. HD is a master. Still getting the
    > Disk Boot Failure....
    >

    > "Dana" wrote:
    >
    >> ok brian,
    >>
    >> so first we jumper the CD as slave.... would we start up with the system
    >> disk in?
    >>
    >> I finally did get a win98 boot disk file off the net to email her which she
    >> just used to boot from - it doesn't find the cd (obviously) and is giving her
    >> a ton of troubleshooting / help info
    >>
    >> "Brian A." wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > HD set as Master is fine, CD set as NONE is NOT. The CD must be set as
    >> > Slave
    >> > if it is on the same IDE channel as the HD. A setting as NONE means that
    >> > no
    >> > other devices are attached to the ribbon cable.
    >> >

    >> > STill get
    >> >
    >> > Get the drives jumpererd properly first, then if there is still a "boot
    >> > disk
    >> > failure", we can deal with that.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >> >
    >> > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Brian,
    I was also thinking it was a boot-order issue, but we pooped out.... This
    was an all afternoon over the phone thing with my 65-year-old mother! I CAN'T
    TAKE IT ANYMORE!! HA!! But I did pretty good in getting her to take the HD
    and CD out and move the jumpers! We did venture into the bios once or twice,
    but .......

    The Bios are hard to navigate over the phone and I'm not sure I could get
    her to boot order area but MEANWHILE, I can't thank you enough for ALL your
    help - After eleventybillion phone calls, and at this risk of us killing each
    other
    (over the phone), I "gave up" and said I really didn't know what else to do.
    Since this was for a friend of my mom's, we've now convinced her to buck up
    and go buy a new computer.. Anyone in the market for a boat anchor??!!

    I do appreciate your help - maybe I'll tackle it another time - but really,
    I kinda doubt it.... it would mean my driving to go pick it up and with gas
    at $3 a gallon, that's not likely!!

    Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
    this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

    Thanks again,

    > P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
    > this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

    ROFL!!

    Neither and both, <bg>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Just for "fun". Everyone here is a user just like you (well, maybe not *just* like
    you ;-)) and does this on a totally voluntary basis without monetary compensation.
    As for MS-MVPs, they are just users who have worked on these groups and elsewhere
    for a long time, with a good rate of success, and have been awarded for their
    persistence (read: stubbornness) and accuracy in solving computer-related problems
    and supplying information. :-)
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
    > this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

    | Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask -
    is
    | this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

    It's therapy these days in most loony bins now that lobotomy is
    outlawed, you'll soon see!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    | > Post back with the results.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    | > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    | >
    | > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    | >

    | > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > Brian,
    | > > Ok, set the jumpers on the cd as slave. HD is a master. Still
    getting the
    | > > Disk Boot Failure....

    Detection - which

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I do appreciate your help - maybe I'll tackle it another time - but
    really,
    > I kinda doubt it.... it would mean my driving to go pick it up and with

    $3 a gallon - if only <sigh> $6 a gallon here in UK. :-(

    Zippy

Windows