How can I wipe an unwriteable tape?

I know how to security-erase a tape (in fact in my former
life I wrote a program to do it to one of those 9-track
tapes the size of a small thick-crust pizza). But the
problem is that I have a tape, an HP 20GB TR-5, which I
can't any longer do anything to, neither write, erase,
initialize or identify. The simple solution would be
to throw it in the garbage, except that it probably
still has on it most a full system backup with plenty
of private, sensitive, copyright and/or embarrassing
data on it. It it were paper I'd shred it. Any
suggestions on how to wipe it other than to scour the
city for a bulk eraser I can use at minimal expense?
For instance, any household chemicals that would easily
dissolve it? Any household-attainable temperatures
that would remove the data without starting a toxic-
smoke fire?

Thanks for any ideas.
19 answers Last reply
More about wipe unwriteable tape

    How about a party. Have everyone bring a scissors and let them cut a length
    of tape into 1/4 inch bits.
    You provide the drinks and snacks. You party could be the talk of the town.

    From: "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca>

    | I know how to security-erase a tape (in fact in my former
    | life I wrote a program to do it to one of those 9-track
    | tapes the size of a small thick-crust pizza). But the
    | problem is that I have a tape, an HP 20GB TR-5, which I
    | can't any longer do anything to, neither write, erase,
    | initialize or identify. The simple solution would be
    | to throw it in the garbage, except that it probably
    | still has on it most a full system backup with plenty
    | of private, sensitive, copyright and/or embarrassing
    | data on it. It it were paper I'd shred it. Any
    | suggestions on how to wipe it other than to scour the
    | city for a bulk eraser I can use at minimal expense?
    | For instance, any household chemicals that would easily
    | dissolve it? Any household-attainable temperatures
    | that would remove the data without starting a toxic-
    | smoke fire?
    |
    | Thanks for any ideas.

    Degauss it.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Anthony Buckland wrote:
    > I know how to security-erase a tape (in fact in my former
    > life I wrote a program to do it to one of those 9-track
    > tapes the size of a small thick-crust pizza). But the
    > problem is that I have a tape, an HP 20GB TR-5, which I
    > can't any longer do anything to, neither write, erase,
    > initialize or identify. The simple solution would be
    > to throw it in the garbage, except that it probably
    > still has on it most a full system backup with plenty
    > of private, sensitive, copyright and/or embarrassing
    > data on it. It it were paper I'd shred it. Any
    > suggestions on how to wipe it other than to scour the
    > city for a bulk eraser I can use at minimal expense?
    > For instance, any household chemicals that would easily
    > dissolve it? Any household-attainable temperatures
    > that would remove the data without starting a toxic-
    > smoke fire?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    Magnet

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    From: "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com>

    | Magnet
    |
    | --
    | dadiOH
    | ____________________________
    |
    | dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    | ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    | LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    | Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    Magnets are steady state. To erase magnetic media requires an alternating magnetic flux.
    This sanitizing method is called degaussing. It is not unlike degaussing the mask of a CRT
    when you get colour botches on the monitor.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Put it inside the vaccuum cleaner
    turn vac on
    erased
    1000W motors have very large circulating fields, instant degauss

    --

    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    _
    "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
    > I know how to security-erase a tape (in fact in my former
    > life I wrote a program to do it to one of those 9-track
    > tapes the size of a small thick-crust pizza). But the
    > problem is that I have a tape, an HP 20GB TR-5, which I
    > can't any longer do anything to, neither write, erase,
    > initialize or identify. The simple solution would be
    > to throw it in the garbage, except that it probably
    > still has on it most a full system backup with plenty
    > of private, sensitive, copyright and/or embarrassing
    > data on it. It it were paper I'd shred it. Any
    > suggestions on how to wipe it other than to scour the
    > city for a bulk eraser I can use at minimal expense?
    > For instance, any household chemicals that would easily
    > dissolve it? Any household-attainable temperatures
    > that would remove the data without starting a toxic-
    > smoke fire?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    A permanent magnet (if that's what dadiOH was referring to) is perfectly
    suitable for erasing magnetic media.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>

    | A permanent magnet (if that's what dadiOH was referring to) is perfectly
    | suitable for erasing magnetic media.
    | --
    | Jeff Richards
    | MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    No, it isn't. For example, one permanent magnet can not de-magnetize another permanent
    magnet. However, put a permanent magnet in the field of a degausser and the permanent
    magnet will no longer be permanently magnetized. To degauss a Travan tape (Class III type
    ?), the device will need to generate at least 1700 Oe (Oerstads).

    http://www.datalinksales.com/degaussers/pf215.htm

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>
    >
    >> A permanent magnet (if that's what dadiOH was referring to) is
    >> perfectly suitable for erasing magnetic media.
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >

    > No, it isn't. For example, one permanent magnet can not de-magnetize
    > another permanent magnet. However, put a permanent magnet in the
    > field of a degausser and the permanent magnet will no longer be
    > permanently magnetized. To degauss a Travan tape (Class III type ?),
    > the device will need to generate at least 1700 Oe (Oerstads).

    All I know is that a magnet - even a small, kitchen type bar - would
    totally wipe my old 5 1/4 floppies...

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    erase magnetic MEDIA, which are not permanent magnets

    From: "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com>

    | All I know is that a magnet - even a small, kitchen type bar - would
    | totally wipe my old 5 1/4 floppies...
    |
    | --
    | dadiOH
    | ____________________________
    |
    | dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    | ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    | LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    | Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    That was a false assumption. You might not have been able to have read the disk but you
    didn'y use Disk Doctor other other tools to examine the disk.

    In addition, a 5 1/4" Floppy Disk requires less coercively that of a Travan tape.
    I think a floppy is between 700 ~ 750 Oe (Oerstads). The higher the capacity, the greater
    amount of coercively is needed. This low coercively is of a floppy drive is one of the
    reasons floppies have high data failure rates.

    When you ran that bar magnet by the floppy the movement was similar to creating an
    alternating flux my the motion. However this is nothing compared to the 60 Hz AC line where
    the magnetic flux alternates 60 time per second and was able to do some damage to the FAT.
    However, you can't guarantee that there is NO data still in existence. The degausser I
    suggested is one such product that will.

    Anyone who does not believe in what have stated should look up the DoD standards for the
    sanitization of magnetic media quantify many aspects sets the requirements for various
    media.

    From: "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | erase magnetic MEDIA, which are not permanent magnets
    |
    | --

    Each granule or molecule of a magnetic media has become one.
    If not, then how do you expect to read the disk that has been on the shelf for 12 months ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I use them and never thought how they work,
    another day, another bit of info.
    thanks
    _

    From: "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I use them and never thought how they work,
    | another day, another bit of info.
    | thanks

    Physics is the basis of all electronic computers whether digital or analog.
    Here's two concepts to research..

    Nematic Crystals
    Piezoelectric effect

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com>
    >

    >> All I know is that a magnet - even a small, kitchen type bar - would
    >> totally wipe my old 5 1/4 floppies...

    > That was a false assumption. You might not have been able to have
    > read the disk but you didn'y use Disk Doctor other other tools to
    > examine the disk.

    This was long before Disk Doctor; in fact, it was pretty much before any
    sort of tools. It was in the days when I was writing my own low level
    stuff in assembler ( including formatting) with a view toward
    implementing dynamically linked libraries for 8 bit computers. Which I
    did. Years before MS had them. Weren't call DLL files then though.

    By "formatting", I don't mean what it means today...I mean writing the
    track ID, filler bytes, etc. Post magnet there was nothing left...no
    track ID (that the FDC could find), no (correct) filler bytes.
    __________________

    > Anyone who does not believe in what have stated should look up the
    > DoD standards for the sanitization of magnetic media quantify many
    > aspects sets the requirements for various media.

    I don't doubt you, don't know squat about magnetism. All I know is it
    wiped my floppies :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    > From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>
    >
    > | A permanent magnet (if that's what dadiOH was referring to) is perfectly
    > | suitable for erasing magnetic media.
    > | --
    > | Jeff Richards
    > | MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >

    > No, it isn't. For example, one permanent magnet can not de-magnetize
    another permanent
    > magnet. However, put a permanent magnet in the field of a degausser and
    the permanent
    > magnet will no longer be permanently magnetized. To degauss a Travan tape
    (Class III type
    > ?), the device will need to generate at least 1700 Oe (Oerstads).
    >
    > http://www.datalinksales.com/degaussers/pf215.htm

    Yes it can because it forces the magnetic domains om the tape be aligned in
    the same direction thus destroying the original alignment.
    In fact an early cheap portable tape recorder a Clarion,which I had,used
    such a method to save on battery power need to drive an oscillator needed to
    AC erase. The AC method drives the magnetic domains through many hysteresis
    loops resulting in less tape noise(hiss).
    --
    infi

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:46:22 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >From: "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com>
    >
    >| Magnet

    >Magnets are steady state. To erase magnetic media requires an alternating magnetic flux.
    >This sanitizing method is called degaussing. It is not unlike degaussing the mask of a CRT
    >when you get colour botches on the monitor.

    The reason you use AC to degauss a TV is that you don't bias it with a
    DC field. In fact, if you flash the on/off switch of a degaussing wand
    you *magnetise* the CRT. Erasing the tape with a DC field is perfectly
    OK since all that happens is that the magnetic domains all tend to
    polarise in the same direction. In fact, while VCRs use AC for
    erasing, audio tapes are erased by either a DC or AC erase head.

    See http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/05_01.pdf

    -- Franc Zabkar

    Anthony Buckland wrote:
    > I know how to security-erase a tape (in fact in my former
    > life I wrote a program to do it to one of those 9-track
    > tapes the size of a small thick-crust pizza). But the
    > problem is that I have a tape, an HP 20GB TR-5, which I
    > can't any longer do anything to, neither write, erase,
    > initialize or identify. The simple solution would be
    > to throw it in the garbage, except that it probably
    > still has on it most a full system backup with plenty
    > of private, sensitive, copyright and/or embarrassing
    > data on it. It it were paper I'd shred it. Any
    > suggestions on how to wipe it other than to scour the
    > city for a bulk eraser I can use at minimal expense?
    > For instance, any household chemicals that would easily
    > dissolve it? Any household-attainable temperatures
    > that would remove the data without starting a toxic-
    > smoke fire?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    Unless you're storing the keys to the nuclear arsenal,
    driving over it a few times with your SUV should be
    sufficient.
    Sometimes HiTech ain't warranted....
    mike
    --
    Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
    FS 512MB 45X SD Flash memory.

    Magnetic media can be erased by a permanent magnet. You can test that with
    any floppy, or with a VHS tape. It actually erases very effectively. Some
    media may require strong magnets, and some tapes may require the tape to be
    actually wiped across the magnet rather than simply waving it around in the
    general vicinity, but magnetic media can definitely be wiped by a permanent
    magnet. To erase magnetic media you do not demagnetize it. The media is
    simply a thin film of tiny magnets. A permanent magnet aligns them all one
    way - it's a simple case of one permanent magnet reversing the polarity of
    millions of other magnets.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>
    >
    > | A permanent magnet (if that's what dadiOH was referring to) is perfectly
    > | suitable for erasing magnetic media.
    > | --
    > | Jeff Richards
    > | MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >

    > No, it isn't. For example, one permanent magnet can not de-magnetize
    > another permanent
    > magnet. However, put a permanent magnet in the field of a degausser and
    > the permanent
    > magnet will no longer be permanently magnetized. To degauss a Travan tape
    > (Class III type
    > ?), the device will need to generate at least 1700 Oe (Oerstads).
    >
    > http://www.datalinksales.com/degaussers/pf215.htm
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Take it to the cops, they reckon they have the best equipment,
    they could act on your behalf........ (tee hee)

    ...Rex..
    > I know how to security-erase a tape (in fact in my former
    > life I wrote a program to do it to one of those 9-track
    > tapes the size of a small thick-crust pizza). But the
    > problem is that I have a tape, an HP 20GB TR-5, which I
    > can't any longer do anything to, neither write, erase,
    > initialize or identify. The simple solution would be
    > to throw it in the garbage, except that it probably
    > still has on it most a full system backup with plenty
    > of private, sensitive, copyright and/or embarrassing
    > data on it. It it were paper I'd shred it. Any
    > suggestions on how to wipe it other than to scour the
    > city for a bulk eraser I can use at minimal expense?
    > For instance, any household chemicals that would easily
    > dissolve it? Any household-attainable temperatures
    > that would remove the data without starting a toxic-
    > smoke fire?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

Windows