Closed

window disappears when restore button clicked

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 18, 2005 2:28:29 AM

Hello!

I am using last version of windows 98 on a PIII 550 with 256 megs ram,
Nvidia 16 meg AGP, and USB Microsoft optical mouse.

Today, when I opened WS-FTP, the program window disappeared, somewhere...
The program appears when I right click the program in the Taskbar and choose
"Maximize", and I am back to desktop (wallpaper) when I then click the
'reduced size' (restore) icon between the dash and the X at the top right of
the program screen. What happened, and how do I get it back, visible in
the less than maximized screen size?

Regards,

Andy
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:51:46 PM

Ensure that the application is restored. Enter Alt + Space + M. The screen
pointer should move to an edge. Use the arrow keys to drag the window back
into the display until you can grab the title bar with the mouse.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Andy" <nomail@here.net> wrote in message
news:o $Opxi$uFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hello!
>
> I am using last version of windows 98 on a PIII 550 with 256 megs ram,
> Nvidia 16 meg AGP, and USB Microsoft optical mouse.
>
> Today, when I opened WS-FTP, the program window disappeared, somewhere...
> The program appears when I right click the program in the Taskbar and
> choose
> "Maximize", and I am back to desktop (wallpaper) when I then click the
> 'reduced size' (restore) icon between the dash and the X at the top right
> of
> the program screen. What happened, and how do I get it back, visible in
> the less than maximized screen size?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy

September 18, 2005 7:47:46 PM

Hello, Jeff!

Thanks for your response!

Following your instructions didn't work... The pointer did move to an edge,
but no matter how I moved it, nothing appeared. I tried the 'size' once
from the properties and a four way cross appeared, but again, no matter
how I manipulated it, nothing ever appeared...

Thanks for trying; I guess I'll have to live with the program in maximized
mode...

Regards,

Andy

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
news:o eXdoyAvFHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Ensure that the application is restored. Enter Alt + Space + M. The screen
> pointer should move to an edge. Use the arrow keys to drag the window back
> into the display until you can grab the title bar with the mouse.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Andy" <nomail@here.net> wrote in message
> news:o $Opxi$uFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am using last version of windows 98 on a PIII 550 with 256 megs ram,
> > Nvidia 16 meg AGP, and USB Microsoft optical mouse.
> >
> > Today, when I opened WS-FTP, the program window disappeared,
somewhere...
> > The program appears when I right click the program in the Taskbar and
> > choose
> > "Maximize", and I am back to desktop (wallpaper) when I then click the
> > 'reduced size' (restore) icon between the dash and the X at the top
right
> > of
> > the program screen. What happened, and how do I get it back, visible
in
> > the less than maximized screen size?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andy

September 18, 2005 9:09:42 PM

I don't know, but... Did you click a shortcut to open WS-FTP? Then,
R-Clk it instead, choose Properties, & examine the Run box. Have it say
"Normal window".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Andy" <nomail@here.net> wrote in message
news:o $Opxi$uFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Hello!
|
| I am using last version of windows 98 on a PIII 550 with 256 megs ram,
| Nvidia 16 meg AGP, and USB Microsoft optical mouse.
|
| Today, when I opened WS-FTP, the program window disappeared,
somewhere...
| The program appears when I right click the program in the Taskbar and
choose
| "Maximize", and I am back to desktop (wallpaper) when I then click the
| 'reduced size' (restore) icon between the dash and the X at the top
right of
| the program screen. What happened, and how do I get it back,
visible in
| the less than maximized screen size?
|
| Regards,
|
| Andy

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 9:43:31 PM

Don't use the mouse at all when you use Alt+Spacebar+Move....just use the arrow keys
on the keyboard.

Restore the max'ed window using the "square" control in the upper right. This will
make the window disappear, according to your description. Right-click the taskbar
icon for that missing window, click Move on the menu that appears. Then use the
arrow keys till you see an outline of part of the window appear onscreen somewhere.
Try the right arrow key for 10 seconds, then the left for 20. Try the up arrow for
10, then the down arrow for 20. Increase the number of seconds on each try: 20
seconds with the left, then 40 with the right. It may be so far off in any
direction that it will take quite a bit of time to see a portion of it in outline,
edge back onto the screen.

The reason for doubling the time in the opposite direction is to get back to "square
one" and then go a equal time from there, in the other direction.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Hello, Jeff!
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> Following your instructions didn't work... The pointer did move to an edge,
> but no matter how I moved it, nothing appeared. I tried the 'size' once
> from the properties and a four way cross appeared, but again, no matter
> how I manipulated it, nothing ever appeared...
>
> Thanks for trying; I guess I'll have to live with the program in maximized
> mode...
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> news:o eXdoyAvFHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Ensure that the application is restored. Enter Alt + Space + M. The screen
> > pointer should move to an edge. Use the arrow keys to drag the window back
> > into the display until you can grab the title bar with the mouse.
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > "Andy" <nomail@here.net> wrote in message
> > news:o $Opxi$uFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I am using last version of windows 98 on a PIII 550 with 256 megs ram,
> > > Nvidia 16 meg AGP, and USB Microsoft optical mouse.
> > >
> > > Today, when I opened WS-FTP, the program window disappeared,
> somewhere...
> > > The program appears when I right click the program in the Taskbar and
> > > choose
> > > "Maximize", and I am back to desktop (wallpaper) when I then click the
> > > 'reduced size' (restore) icon between the dash and the X at the top
> right
> > > of
> > > the program screen. What happened, and how do I get it back, visible
> in
> > > the less than maximized screen size?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Andy

December 23, 2005 12:31:21 PM

I found that rather than Alt+space+m, I recovered the window when I used alt+space+S since it disappeared due to a size problem not a position problem. Now it works fine. :D
Anonymous
April 6, 2009 4:34:14 AM

Thanks,

Pressed Alt + space + M and then used my keyboard arrows key and it worked for me. Earlier i was doing this but i was using mouse keys.
Thanks a lot.
April 6, 2010 5:45:32 AM

I am SO glad that I found this discussion. I was having this problem with Microsoft Word 2003 after I had switched to a dual monitor configuration. For me, I had to change Word from Maximize to Restore (where Word is no longer visible), then I right clicked on the Word icon on the taskbar and selected the "Move" menu item, then using the arrow keys I was able to move the Word application window back into view.

Thanks everyone. Even though this thread started back in 2005, it is still very useful 5 years later.
May 7, 2010 4:51:32 PM

Since this is one of the top hits when googling this issue, I thought I'd add another cause/cure.

With some multi-monitor configurations (particularly when the monitors have different sizes), some applications aren't smart enough to notice that they've opened on a monitor that isn't attached.

For example, when I last used Evernote 3.1, I was at work, with two monitors. When I closed it, it was on monitor 2. Today, I started Evernote, but I'm at home, with one monitor. Evernote opens on monitor 2, even though it is not there. Re-sizing the window, or moving the window won't move it onto monitor 1.

But, I'm using an Nvidia graphics card, so I installed the Nvidia "extensions," which adds lines to the system menu (e.g. the one you get when you right-click the app on the task bar). One of those extra lines reads, "Send Window to Display 1". Clicking that produces the desired result.

Other graphics card manufacturers have similar extensions.

Nvidia Desktop Manager has an option, "Prevent windows from opening off-screen," (which I have selected) but Evernote is determined to open on the missing display nonetheless.
May 11, 2010 12:47:08 AM

Andy said:

Hello!

I am using last version of windows 98 on a PIII 550 with 256 megs ram,
Nvidia 16 meg AGP, and USB Microsoft optical mouse.

Today, when I opened WS-FTP, the program window disappeared, somewhere...
The program appears when I right click the program in the Taskbar and choose
"Maximize", and I am back to desktop (wallpaper) when I then click the
'reduced size' (restore) icon between the dash and the X at the top right of
the program screen. What happened, and how do I get it back, visible in
the less than maximized screen size?

Regards,

Andy

Check out your monitor setting's to high to low???
June 11, 2010 2:59:24 PM

kleinfelter said:
Since this is one of the top hits when googling this issue, I thought I'd add another cause/cure.

With some multi-monitor configurations (particularly when the monitors have different sizes), some applications aren't smart enough to notice that they've opened on a monitor that isn't attached.

That was exactly my issue, I switched the ordering of my monitors and lost an application when I restored it.
Once I realized the problem was that it wanted to open to the right of my rightmost screen, a simple fix became obvious:

Move my extra screen (currently left of the main window) to the right of the main window. Poof, window appear!
Move the window to the main screen, put the screens back in the order I want them, carry on with my day.
August 12, 2010 12:08:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!