  • Media Player
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 18, 2005 12:29:03 PM

I have no sound in Windows Media Player, ver. 7.1. Haven't for a long time
but thought I would try and fix it.
Sometimes it just plays the video without sound without getting an error
message. Sometimes it will pop-up the error message: "Can't playback the
audio stream. No audio hardware is available or the hardware is not
responding" and will not even play the video.
Have downloaded and reinstalled WMP. No good.
Have read and tried all the KB stuff.
Under Multimedia, Audio, what is in the box is 'VIA Audio (WAVE)'. When
going to Advanced Properties to reset the acceleration, Apply, OK, it appears
to work but after going back to check it, it is back at Full Accel. It won't
hold it at Min.
The other option in the box is 'Use any available device'. Have tried doing
that but still no sound in WMP.
I can't see how this can be a sound card/hardware problem as WimAmp plays
..wmv, .avi, .mpeg files just fine with sound, as does Quicktime with .mov. CD
music plays fine.

Any ideas?

System info:
Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10)
Computer Make: Compaq Presario (1277)
Processor: 433 MHz AMD-K6
Memory: 196 MB (188 w/ 8 relegated to sound card)
Screen Resolution: 800 by 600
Web Browser: Firefox & IE6
Other Information:
ZA, AVG, VIA AC97, Compaq / Phoenix BIOS, HP 5510 All In One

More about : sound media player

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:16:26 AM

"Rob Forker" <RobForker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have no sound in Windows Media Player, ver. 7.1. Haven't for a long
time
> but thought I would try and fix it.
> Sometimes it just plays the video without sound without getting an
error
> message. Sometimes it will pop-up the error message: "Can't playback
the
> audio stream. No audio hardware is available or the hardware is not
> responding" and will not even play the video.
> Have downloaded and reinstalled WMP. No good.
> Have read and tried all the KB stuff.
> Under Multimedia, Audio, what is in the box is 'VIA Audio (WAVE)'.
When
> going to Advanced Properties to reset the acceleration, Apply, OK, it
appears
> to work but after going back to check it, it is back at Full Accel. It
won't
> hold it at Min.
> The other option in the box is 'Use any available device'. Have tried
doing
> that but still no sound in WMP.
> I can't see how this can be a sound card/hardware problem as WimAmp
plays
> .wmv, .avi, .mpeg files just fine with sound, as does Quicktime with
..mov. CD
> music plays fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> System info:
> Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10)
> Computer Make: Compaq Presario (1277)
> Processor: 433 MHz AMD-K6
> Memory: 196 MB (188 w/ 8 relegated to sound card)
> Screen Resolution: 800 by 600
> Web Browser: Firefox & IE6
> Other Information:
> ZA, AVG, VIA AC97, Compaq / Phoenix BIOS, HP 5510 All In One

Rob.,

I am far from sure that I am being helpful here. Try going to Control
Panel > Multimedia > make sure that 'Preferred device' is set correctly.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:16:27 AM

Emrys,
Thanks for the reply, but...
I've tried 'Preferred Device ' with both available options with no success...
I'm far from a beginner, but this has me baffled...
especially since I have sound in every other program except WMP...

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

> "Rob Forker" <RobForker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have no sound in Windows Media Player, ver. 7.1. Haven't for a long
> time
> > but thought I would try and fix it.
> > Sometimes it just plays the video without sound without getting an
> error
> > message. Sometimes it will pop-up the error message: "Can't playback
> the
> > audio stream. No audio hardware is available or the hardware is not
> > responding" and will not even play the video.
> > Have downloaded and reinstalled WMP. No good.
> > Have read and tried all the KB stuff.
> > Under Multimedia, Audio, what is in the box is 'VIA Audio (WAVE)'.
> When
> > going to Advanced Properties to reset the acceleration, Apply, OK, it
> appears
> > to work but after going back to check it, it is back at Full Accel. It
> won't
> > hold it at Min.
> > The other option in the box is 'Use any available device'. Have tried
> doing
> > that but still no sound in WMP.
> > I can't see how this can be a sound card/hardware problem as WimAmp
> plays
> > .wmv, .avi, .mpeg files just fine with sound, as does Quicktime with
> ..mov. CD
> > music plays fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > System info:
> > Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10)
> > Computer Make: Compaq Presario (1277)
> > Processor: 433 MHz AMD-K6
> > Memory: 196 MB (188 w/ 8 relegated to sound card)
> > Screen Resolution: 800 by 600
> > Web Browser: Firefox & IE6
> > Other Information:
> > ZA, AVG, VIA AC97, Compaq / Phoenix BIOS, HP 5510 All In One
>
> Rob.,
>
> I am far from sure that I am being helpful here. Try going to Control
> Panel > Multimedia > make sure that 'Preferred device' is set correctly.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

September 19, 2005 4:16:28 AM

Have you posted the problem on the mediaplayer forums?

You may also find something helpful here:
WMP Mini-FAQ: http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Emrys,
> Thanks for the reply, but...
> I've tried 'Preferred Device ' with both available options with no success...
> I'm far from a beginner, but this has me baffled...
> especially since I have sound in every other program except WMP...
>
> "Emrys Davies" wrote:
>
> > "Rob Forker" <RobForker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have no sound in Windows Media Player, ver. 7.1. Haven't for a long
> > time
> > > but thought I would try and fix it.
> > > Sometimes it just plays the video without sound without getting an
> > error
> > > message. Sometimes it will pop-up the error message: "Can't playback
> > the
> > > audio stream. No audio hardware is available or the hardware is not
> > > responding" and will not even play the video.
> > > Have downloaded and reinstalled WMP. No good.
> > > Have read and tried all the KB stuff.
> > > Under Multimedia, Audio, what is in the box is 'VIA Audio (WAVE)'.
> > When
> > > going to Advanced Properties to reset the acceleration, Apply, OK, it
> > appears
> > > to work but after going back to check it, it is back at Full Accel. It
> > won't
> > > hold it at Min.
> > > The other option in the box is 'Use any available device'. Have tried
> > doing
> > > that but still no sound in WMP.
> > > I can't see how this can be a sound card/hardware problem as WimAmp
> > plays
> > > .wmv, .avi, .mpeg files just fine with sound, as does Quicktime with
> > ..mov. CD
> > > music plays fine.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > System info:
> > > Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10)
> > > Computer Make: Compaq Presario (1277)
> > > Processor: 433 MHz AMD-K6
> > > Memory: 196 MB (188 w/ 8 relegated to sound card)
> > > Screen Resolution: 800 by 600
> > > Web Browser: Firefox & IE6
> > > Other Information:
> > > ZA, AVG, VIA AC97, Compaq / Phoenix BIOS, HP 5510 All In One
> >
> > Rob.,
> >
> > I am far from sure that I am being helpful here. Try going to Control
> > Panel > Multimedia > make sure that 'Preferred device' is set correctly.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Emrys Davies.

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:16:28 AM

"Rob Forker" <RobForker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Emrys,
> Thanks for the reply, but...
> I've tried 'Preferred Device ' with both available options with no
success...
> I'm far from a beginner, but this has me baffled...
> especially since I have sound in every other program except WMP...

There is a small button to the left of the volume slider
which toggles between Mute and Sound.

Make sure that you don't have it muted accidentally.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:57:06 AM

Glee,
Will try the mediaplayer forums. Thanks for the addresses.
Had already been to the nwlink site. No help there.
And re: Hugh's suggestion, the sound is not muted and the volume control on
WMP is somewhere between 50-100%.

"glee" wrote:

> Have you posted the problem on the mediaplayer forums?
>
> You may also find something helpful here:
> WMP Mini-FAQ: http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rob Forker" <RobForker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Emrys,
> > Thanks for the reply, but...
> > I've tried 'Preferred Device ' with both available options with no success...
> > I'm far from a beginner, but this has me baffled...
> > especially since I have sound in every other program except WMP...
> >
> > "Emrys Davies" wrote:
> >
> > > "Rob Forker" <RobForker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > time
> > > error
> > > the
> > > When
> > > appears
> > > won't
> > > doing
> > > plays
> > > ..mov. CD

> > > Rob.,
> > >
> > > I am far from sure that I am being helpful here. Try going to Control
> > > Panel > Multimedia > make sure that 'Preferred device' is set correctly.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Emrys Davies.

July 11, 2007 8:44:33 AM

Not sure if this is the problem you're describing, and I see this is an old thread, but if someone else is searching for what I was searching for and finds this maybe it will help them.

This is for fixing when you can see video but no audio, only when trying to stream audio or video in windows media player (either embedded or not embedded). Problem shows up for example in CNN videos.

Go to the following registry folder:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\NodeCLSIDs\{95037DA1-6ED9-4B27-8CFF-9AD3DFB0B2F2}]

double click on 'Auto Insert" on the right side of the box.

Change the Value from "1" to "0" and click OK.

You should be set.
!