XP home backup utility

September 16, 2004 6:24:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
new systems to combat piracy?).

I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.

I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
and have it running again?

Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary XP
utilities but didn't find anything.

More about : home backup utility

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 6:24:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

FYI - MS had nothing to do with your New PC not having a WinXP CD - your PC
manufacturer did that to skim dollars off the cost of your PC (so don't
blame MS). Also, many reputable PC manufacturers (not the fly by night or I
don't care about my customer manufacturers) still supply an original WinXP
OEM version of either the Home or Professional edition, although be it BIOS
locked to the PC it was installed on.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

Roland Young wrote:

> I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
> computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
> new systems to combat piracy?).
>
> I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
> don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
> particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.
>
> I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
> twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
> utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
> then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
> main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
> and have it running again?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary XP
> utilities but didn't find anything.

You can download ntbackup.msi from here:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
September 16, 2004 6:24:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Roland Young" <rmbyoung@cantab.net> wrote in message
>I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
>computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
>new systems to combat piracy?).
>
> I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which
> I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am
> referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated
> System Recovery.
>
> I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
> twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
> utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
> then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
> main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second
> disk and have it running again?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary
> XP utilities but didn't find anything.

What you are look for is an image program such as Norton Ghost Version 9
{Google for other image programs}. Norton Ghost Version 9 will create an
image on your USB hard drive which you can use to restore your system if you
have a hard drive failure. Norton Ghost Version 9 also allows you to restore
selected folders or files and to create incremental images as you would be
able to with a backup program.

If you copy your hard drive to your USB drive, you would not be able to just
connect the USB drive and boot from that drive because your BIOS is not
likely to have the drivers need to recognize the USB drive.

Don
September 16, 2004 10:02:24 AM

"Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Roland Young" <rmbyoung@cantab.net> wrote in message
> >I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with
the
> >computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
> >new systems to combat piracy?).
> >
> > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD,
which
> > I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am
> > referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated
> > System Recovery.
> >
> > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to
store
> > twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
> > utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD
and
> > then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
> > main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second
> > disk and have it running again?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary
> > XP utilities but didn't find anything.
> >

> What you are look for is an image program such as Norton Ghost Version 9
> {Google for other image programs}. Norton Ghost Version 9 will create an
> image on your USB hard drive which you can use to restore your system if
you
> have a hard drive failure. Norton Ghost Version 9 also allows you to
restore
> selected folders or files and to create incremental images as you would be
> able to with a backup program.
>
> If you copy your hard drive to your USB drive, you would not be able to
just
> connect the USB drive and boot from that drive because your BIOS is not
> likely to have the drivers need to recognize the USB drive.
>
> Don

I agree with Don it is essential to use a ghost image but I would strongly
recommend Acronis True Image which I think is the easiest system to use and
also allows individual files to be restored as well as the whole system
Blair
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 5:49:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:25:14 AM

Roland Young wrote:
> I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied
> with the computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped
> including the CD with new systems to combat piracy?).
>
> I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD,
> which I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I
> am referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and
> Automated System Recovery.
> I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to
> store twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using
> the backup utility different from just copying the whole drive to the
> second HDD and then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to
> isolate it? If my main disk were to fail, would it be possible just
> to connect the second disk and have it running again?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the
> necessary XP utilities but didn't find anything.
You can get the backup program from here:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup...

--
Gene K
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Inclusion of the cd is a manufacturer's decision, not Microsoft. Search for
ntbackup.msi, but don't be surprised if the search comes up empty. Backup
and restore are procedures to save the contents of your hard disk. It is
not an imaging program and the saved file is not an executable version of
the hard drive. A backup must be restored in order for you to recover a
hard drive. The saved file is not something you can hook up and run. If
you are unable to find Backup.exe on your hard drive, you can install it
from any version of Windows XP, so if you have a friend or relative with an
XP cd you can follow the directions from this link to install it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
There are other choices for backup programs and some are listed at the end
of the article.

"Gene K" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Roland Young wrote:
>> I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied
>> with the computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped
>> including the CD with new systems to combat piracy?).
>>
>> I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD,
>> which I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I
>> am referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and
>> Automated System Recovery.
>> I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to
>> store twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using
>> the backup utility different from just copying the whole drive to the
>> second HDD and then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to
>> isolate it? If my main disk were to fail, would it be possible just
>> to connect the second disk and have it running again?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the
>> necessary XP utilities but didn't find anything.
> You can get the backup program from here:
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup...
>
> --
> Gene K

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:53:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am also trying to back up my computer. (I've never done this!!) I used the
XP backup utility, but now I don't know where to save the file! I tried
zipping it and copying it to a CD, but it's too large. I don't have a "split"
hard drive, so I just have it sitting in a file in My Documents. I'm assuming
this is not the right way to do this. Can anyone help me in simple terms?? Do
I need to buy software like Norton Ghost, or should I "rent" space from a
vendor and save the file that way? (That seems a little dangerous to me,
seeing as I have all our financial records in Money files. )

Thanks,

"Rock" wrote:

> Roland Young wrote:
>
> > I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
> > computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
> > new systems to combat piracy?).
> >
> > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
> > don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
> > particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.
> >
> > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
> > twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
> > utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
> > then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
> > main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
> > and have it running again?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary XP
> > utilities but didn't find anything.
> >

> You can download ntbackup.msi from here:
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:40:58 PM

karly mom wrote:

> I am also trying to back up my computer. (I've never done this!!) I used the
> XP backup utility, but now I don't know where to save the file! I tried
> zipping it and copying it to a CD, but it's too large. I don't have a "split"
> hard drive, so I just have it sitting in a file in My Documents. I'm assuming
> this is not the right way to do this. Can anyone help me in simple terms?? Do
> I need to buy software like Norton Ghost, or should I "rent" space from a
> vendor and save the file that way? (That seems a little dangerous to me,
> seeing as I have all our financial records in Money files. )
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>Roland Young wrote:
>>

>>>I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
>>>computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
>>>new systems to combat piracy?).
>>>
>>>I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
>>>don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
>>>particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.
>>>
>>>I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
>>>twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
>>>utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
>>>then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
>>>main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
>>>and have it running again?
>>
>>You can download ntbackup.msi from here:
>>http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

But, but does NTBACKUP do disk spanning? (i.e. multiple disks in a
single backup operation) - RM
September 27, 2004 8:14:04 PM

karly mom wrote:

> I am also trying to back up my computer. (I've never done this!!) I used the
> XP backup utility, but now I don't know where to save the file! I tried
> zipping it and copying it to a CD, but it's too large. I don't have a "split"
> hard drive, so I just have it sitting in a file in My Documents. I'm assuming
> this is not the right way to do this. Can anyone help me in simple terms?? Do
> I need to buy software like Norton Ghost, or should I "rent" space from a
> vendor and save the file that way? (That seems a little dangerous to me,
> seeing as I have all our financial records in Money files. )
>
> Thanks,

You have discovered the basic limitation of Ntbackup. It will not span
CD's. You are correct. Saving the backup on the same hard drive gives
you no protection. There are several options. One is to purchase a DVD
writer. Get a CD-R/RW/DVD-R/RW combo drive so you can read/write both
CD's and DVD's. DVD's store 4.7 GB. After the backup burn it to DVD.
You will need 3rd party burning software, such as Nero or Roxio because
XP cannot write to DVDs natively. Depending on the size of your hard
drive that still might not be enough. Another choice is an external
hard drive. That's what I use -- a 250 GB Western Digital external USB2
drive. Ntbackup will write to an external drive.

Another choice with just the CD writer you have is a backup program like
Backup MyPC from Stompsoft. It is an excellent program, can backup to
CD's and DVDs and can span CD's so if the backup needs 5 CD' it will do
that.

The third option is to use a disk imaging program like Symantec's Drive
Image, Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or BootitNG. This creates a
compressed image of the hard drive. It can't be stored on the same
partition, and storing it on a different partition of the same drive is
no protection. You'll need to put the image on another drive (internal
or external) or on CD or DVD. As long as the CD or DVD burner you have
is supported by the program it can create the backup directly on that
medium, but you need to check that your burner is supported. Restores
can be done of the complete drive or of individual files and folders.
These programs are fast, efficient and easy to use. It is best if you
have an external hard drive to burn the images to.

I use Drive Image with the 250 GB external USB2 hard drive. When I
purchased Drive Image it was from Powerquest. Since then they have been
bought out by Symantec so now it's Symantec's Drive Image. The problem
is that Symantec uses an activation scheme on it's programs and added
that to DI. I like to avoid activation if i can though I am using Norton
AV 2004 which uses activation and has been no problem so far. Once
Symantec bought Powerquest they took the technology from Drive Image and
integrated it with their imaging program, Norton Ghost. I have not
worked with the latest release of Ghost but I am guessing it's much the
same as Drive Image. I have not worked with Acronis True Image but many
people love it. And BootitNG is the lowest cost one of the group, works
well and several in this newsgroup really like it.

Whatever you do, you should have a backup program and backup regularly.
It's not an issue of if but _when_ data loss will occur.
!