XP home backup utility

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
new systems to combat piracy?).

I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.

I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
and have it running again?

Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary XP
utilities but didn't find anything.
10 answers Last reply
More about home backup utility
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    FYI - MS had nothing to do with your New PC not having a WinXP CD - your PC
    manufacturer did that to skim dollars off the cost of your PC (so don't
    blame MS). Also, many reputable PC manufacturers (not the fly by night or I
    don't care about my customer manufacturers) still supply an original WinXP
    OEM version of either the Home or Professional edition, although be it BIOS
    locked to the PC it was installed on.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    "Roland Young" <rmbyoung@cantab.net> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
    >computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
    >new systems to combat piracy?).
    >
    > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which
    > I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am
    > referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated
    > System Recovery.
    >
    > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
    > twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
    > utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
    > then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
    > main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second
    > disk and have it running again?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary
    > XP utilities but didn't find anything.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Roland Young wrote:

    > I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
    > computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
    > new systems to combat piracy?).
    >
    > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
    > don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
    > particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.
    >
    > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
    > twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
    > utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
    > then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
    > main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
    > and have it running again?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary XP
    > utilities but didn't find anything.

    You can download ntbackup.msi from here:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Roland Young" <rmbyoung@cantab.net> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
    >computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
    >new systems to combat piracy?).
    >
    > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which
    > I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am
    > referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated
    > System Recovery.
    >
    > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
    > twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
    > utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
    > then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
    > main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second
    > disk and have it running again?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary
    > XP utilities but didn't find anything.

    What you are look for is an image program such as Norton Ghost Version 9
    {Google for other image programs}. Norton Ghost Version 9 will create an
    image on your USB hard drive which you can use to restore your system if you
    have a hard drive failure. Norton Ghost Version 9 also allows you to restore
    selected folders or files and to create incremental images as you would be
    able to with a backup program.

    If you copy your hard drive to your USB drive, you would not be able to just
    connect the USB drive and boot from that drive because your BIOS is not
    likely to have the drivers need to recognize the USB drive.

    Don
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Roland Young" <rmbyoung@cantab.net> wrote in message
    > >I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with
    the
    > >computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
    > >new systems to combat piracy?).
    > >
    > > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD,
    which
    > > I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am
    > > referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated
    > > System Recovery.
    > >
    > > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to
    store
    > > twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
    > > utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD
    and
    > > then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
    > > main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second
    > > disk and have it running again?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the necessary
    > > XP utilities but didn't find anything.
    > >

    > What you are look for is an image program such as Norton Ghost Version 9
    > {Google for other image programs}. Norton Ghost Version 9 will create an
    > image on your USB hard drive which you can use to restore your system if
    you
    > have a hard drive failure. Norton Ghost Version 9 also allows you to
    restore
    > selected folders or files and to create incremental images as you would be
    > able to with a backup program.
    >
    > If you copy your hard drive to your USB drive, you would not be able to
    just
    > connect the USB drive and boot from that drive because your BIOS is not
    > likely to have the drivers need to recognize the USB drive.
    >
    > Don

    I agree with Don it is essential to use a ghost image but I would strongly
    recommend Acronis True Image which I think is the easiest system to use and
    also allows individual files to be restored as well as the whole system
    Blair
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Roland Young wrote:
    > I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied
    > with the computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped
    > including the CD with new systems to combat piracy?).
    >
    > I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD,
    > which I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I
    > am referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and
    > Automated System Recovery.
    > I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to
    > store twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using
    > the backup utility different from just copying the whole drive to the
    > second HDD and then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to
    > isolate it? If my main disk were to fail, would it be possible just
    > to connect the second disk and have it running again?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the
    > necessary XP utilities but didn't find anything.
    You can get the backup program from here:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    --
    Gene K
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Inclusion of the cd is a manufacturer's decision, not Microsoft. Search for
    ntbackup.msi, but don't be surprised if the search comes up empty. Backup
    and restore are procedures to save the contents of your hard disk. It is
    not an imaging program and the saved file is not an executable version of
    the hard drive. A backup must be restored in order for you to recover a
    hard drive. The saved file is not something you can hook up and run. If
    you are unable to find Backup.exe on your hard drive, you can install it
    from any version of Windows XP, so if you have a friend or relative with an
    XP cd you can follow the directions from this link to install it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    There are other choices for backup programs and some are listed at the end
    of the article.

    "Gene K" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Roland Young wrote:
    >> I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied
    >> with the computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped
    >> including the CD with new systems to combat piracy?).
    >>
    >> I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD,
    >> which I don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I
    >> am referring in particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and
    >> Automated System Recovery.
    >> I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to
    >> store twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using
    >> the backup utility different from just copying the whole drive to the
    >> second HDD and then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to
    >> isolate it? If my main disk were to fail, would it be possible just
    >> to connect the second disk and have it running again?
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. I searched for downloads of the
    >> necessary XP utilities but didn't find anything.
    > You can get the backup program from here:
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
    >
    > --
    > Gene K

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I am also trying to back up my computer. (I've never done this!!) I used the
    XP backup utility, but now I don't know where to save the file! I tried
    zipping it and copying it to a CD, but it's too large. I don't have a "split"
    hard drive, so I just have it sitting in a file in My Documents. I'm assuming
    this is not the right way to do this. Can anyone help me in simple terms?? Do
    I need to buy software like Norton Ghost, or should I "rent" space from a
    vendor and save the file that way? (That seems a little dangerous to me,
    seeing as I have all our financial records in Money files. )

    Thanks,

    karly mom wrote:

    > I am also trying to back up my computer. (I've never done this!!) I used the
    > XP backup utility, but now I don't know where to save the file! I tried
    > zipping it and copying it to a CD, but it's too large. I don't have a "split"
    > hard drive, so I just have it sitting in a file in My Documents. I'm assuming
    > this is not the right way to do this. Can anyone help me in simple terms?? Do
    > I need to buy software like Norton Ghost, or should I "rent" space from a
    > vendor and save the file that way? (That seems a little dangerous to me,
    > seeing as I have all our financial records in Money files. )
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>Roland Young wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have XP Home pre-installed on my PC, but the CD was not supplied with the
    >>>computer (as I understand it, Microsoft has stopped including the CD with
    >>>new systems to combat piracy?).
    >>>
    >>>I want to backup my system. As the necessary tools are on the XP CD, which I
    >>>don't have, is there anywhere they can be downloaded from? I am referring in
    >>>particular to Windows XP Backup, Restore, and Automated System Recovery.
    >>>
    >>>I plan to backup my system to a second HDD which is large enough to store
    >>>twice the amount of data I have on my main disk. How is using the backup
    >>>utility different from just copying the whole drive to the second HDD and
    >>>then disconnecting it from the PC (it is a USB HDD) to isolate it? If my
    >>>main disk were to fail, would it be possible just to connect the second disk
    >>>and have it running again?
    >>
    >>You can download ntbackup.msi from here:
    >>http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

    But, but does NTBACKUP do disk spanning? (i.e. multiple disks in a
    single backup operation) - RM
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    karly mom wrote:

    > I am also trying to back up my computer. (I've never done this!!) I used the
    > XP backup utility, but now I don't know where to save the file! I tried
    > zipping it and copying it to a CD, but it's too large. I don't have a "split"
    > hard drive, so I just have it sitting in a file in My Documents. I'm assuming
    > this is not the right way to do this. Can anyone help me in simple terms?? Do
    > I need to buy software like Norton Ghost, or should I "rent" space from a
    > vendor and save the file that way? (That seems a little dangerous to me,
    > seeing as I have all our financial records in Money files. )
    >
    > Thanks,

    You have discovered the basic limitation of Ntbackup. It will not span
    CD's. You are correct. Saving the backup on the same hard drive gives
    you no protection. There are several options. One is to purchase a DVD
    writer. Get a CD-R/RW/DVD-R/RW combo drive so you can read/write both
    CD's and DVD's. DVD's store 4.7 GB. After the backup burn it to DVD.
    You will need 3rd party burning software, such as Nero or Roxio because
    XP cannot write to DVDs natively. Depending on the size of your hard
    drive that still might not be enough. Another choice is an external
    hard drive. That's what I use -- a 250 GB Western Digital external USB2
    drive. Ntbackup will write to an external drive.

    Another choice with just the CD writer you have is a backup program like
    Backup MyPC from Stompsoft. It is an excellent program, can backup to
    CD's and DVDs and can span CD's so if the backup needs 5 CD' it will do
    that.

    The third option is to use a disk imaging program like Symantec's Drive
    Image, Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or BootitNG. This creates a
    compressed image of the hard drive. It can't be stored on the same
    partition, and storing it on a different partition of the same drive is
    no protection. You'll need to put the image on another drive (internal
    or external) or on CD or DVD. As long as the CD or DVD burner you have
    is supported by the program it can create the backup directly on that
    medium, but you need to check that your burner is supported. Restores
    can be done of the complete drive or of individual files and folders.
    These programs are fast, efficient and easy to use. It is best if you
    have an external hard drive to burn the images to.

    I use Drive Image with the 250 GB external USB2 hard drive. When I
    purchased Drive Image it was from Powerquest. Since then they have been
    bought out by Symantec so now it's Symantec's Drive Image. The problem
    is that Symantec uses an activation scheme on it's programs and added
    that to DI. I like to avoid activation if i can though I am using Norton
    AV 2004 which uses activation and has been no problem so far. Once
    Symantec bought Powerquest they took the technology from Drive Image and
    integrated it with their imaging program, Norton Ghost. I have not
    worked with the latest release of Ghost but I am guessing it's much the
    same as Drive Image. I have not worked with Acronis True Image but many
    people love it. And BootitNG is the lowest cost one of the group, works
    well and several in this newsgroup really like it.

    Whatever you do, you should have a backup program and backup regularly.
    It's not an issue of if but _when_ data loss will occur.

Backup Microsoft Windows XP