Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2006 11:40:21 AM

Does anybody know? other than intel or AMD
cuz VIA does
just curious

Thanx
May 8, 2006 4:11:55 PM

Cooldude,

I do not understand the nature of your question.

In terms of buying CPU's for a home PC you have one of two choices of manufactures: Intel or AMD.

If you were asking what companies you can purchase from directly: None that I know of. AMD has a "Shop AMD" link, but that only shows some pre-built systems by manufactures.

I do not know anything about VIA.

I prefer to purchase computer hardware at www.newegg.com
May 8, 2006 4:27:37 PM

Dell, just to upgrade processor a couple of notches sometimes exceeds the price you could buy the chip online, much less the difference in actual cost...
Related resources
May 8, 2006 4:29:19 PM

AMD and Intel do not sell themselves. VIA does not either.
May 8, 2006 4:29:23 PM

You are not sure what you are asking :roll:
May 8, 2006 5:25:05 PM

Not for desktop, but IBM and SUN do.
May 8, 2006 5:25:58 PM

Quote:
Not for desktop, but IBM and SUN do.

I think HP does as well.
May 8, 2006 6:04:21 PM

Quote:
cuz VIA does
just curious

Thanx

I'm gonna go out on a limb and translate his question like this... "Do retailers carry systems with CPUs from manufacturers OTHER than Intel/AMD?"

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find a Via based handheld or for that matter an older Mac with a PowerPC chip... other than those rare exceptions, I believe all systems are either AMD or Intel based.
May 8, 2006 6:06:28 PM

Quote:
cuz VIA does
just curious

Thanx

I'm gonna go out on a limb and translate his question like this... "Do retailers carry systems with CPUs from manufacturers OTHER than Intel/AMD?"

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find a Via based handheld or for that matter an older Mac with a PowerPC chip... other than those rare exceptions, I believe all systems are either AMD or Intel based.
Sony will soon be in the mix with PS3 shipping with Linux.
May 8, 2006 7:16:53 PM

Quote:
cuz VIA does
just curious

Thanx

Whoops... forgot about that.
May 8, 2006 7:23:29 PM

Quote:
cuz VIA does
just curious

Thanx

Whoops... forgot about that.
There are a lot of independent CPU manufacturers actually. None of them are x86 compatible, and that's why we never hear of them. However, in terms of actual design, AMD and Intel are decades behind others. Sun has been at work on ultra-efficient processors for a long time. IBM worked on the first octo cores years ago.
May 8, 2006 7:46:53 PM

Intel has the highest performing chip out right now, dunno how thats decades behind.
But you are right that those CPUs are far superior to the danged x86 CPU, not only performance-wise but also on the technological side. A partner-company of IBM has a 256 core CPU and is working on a 1025 core CPU and all of that @ 1W, just as an example.
And most companies (or research/science centers) that do build CPUs build them for their own software so they will never be seen anywhere outside of their own machines.

AfaIk theres only AMD and Intel on retail and a few times also VIA.
May 8, 2006 8:03:00 PM

Quote:
Intel has the highest performing chip out right now, dunno how thats decades behind.

If you're referring to Conroe, I would like to point out that it hasn't been released yet, so it's not "the highest performing chip out right now". False statement.

If you're referring to P4, well then that is just a blatant false statement.
May 8, 2006 11:23:25 PM

Quote:

If you're referring to Conroe, I would like to point out that it hasn't been released yet, so it's not "the highest performing chip out right now". False statement.

If you're referring to P4, well then that is just a blatant false statement.
Intel/AMD definately do have the best x86 chips out. But outside of x86, other chips aren't bad. Cell has huge parallelization with 8 cores. IBM's PowerPC's will be hitting 4ghz and are very competitive even compared to Intel offerings on the Mac's. Sun has extremely power-efficient processors. Take your pick. x86 is just the most adaptable and easy to use, but one day x86 will have to be replaced.
!