Personal Laser Printer

Hello- I need a recomendation for a personal laser printer. Here's what I
need:

1. Parallel port
2. Non-GDI- I need to connect this printer to some industrial equipment that
has a proprietary operating system -PCL 4 would be nice- But I at least need
the ability to dump ASCII text to the parallel port.
3. Inexpensive- I need quite a few of these, so I would like to keep the
initial costs below $200.
4. B&W

I had been buying Brother HL-1440 (I have about 60 of them), but they are
being discontinued. The replacement uses a different cartridge, so that I
thought this would be a good opportunity to see if anything else was out
there.

Thanks,

Mark
3 answers Last reply
More about personal laser printer

    In article <111juad8jot8j61@corp.supernews.com>, Mark <marklb@bogus.net> wrote:
    >Hello- I need a recomendation for a personal laser printer. Here's what I
    >need:
    >
    >1. Parallel port
    >2. Non-GDI- I need to connect this printer to some industrial equipment that
    >has a proprietary operating system -PCL 4 would be nice- But I at least need
    >the ability to dump ASCII text to the parallel port.
    >3. Inexpensive- I need quite a few of these, so I would like to keep the
    >initial costs below $200.
    >4. B&W
    >
    >I had been buying Brother HL-1440 (I have about 60 of them), but they are
    >being discontinued. The replacement uses a different cartridge, so that I
    >thought this would be a good opportunity to see if anything else was out
    >there.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mark

    The low-end samsung lasers as of a year ago have been good to me and
    ISTR that the CDrom that came with it had Linux software on it, which
    is a good indication that they are not GDI printers. Depending on the
    model they may be USB-only.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    If you are getting good service from Brother, why not stick with them. I
    replaced my old Brother 4550 with a newer model 6800 and it is way improved
    and about half the price. On the other hand I know lots of people who are
    unhappy with the quality of the latest HP low end lasers.

    "Art" <begunaNOSPAMPLEASE@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > If you are getting good service from Brother, why not stick with them. I
    > replaced my old Brother 4550 with a newer model 6800 and it is way
    improved
    > and about half the price. On the other hand I know lots of people who are
    > unhappy with the quality of the latest HP low end lasers.
    >

    > "Mark" <marklb@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello- I need a recomendation for a personal laser printer. Here's what
    > > need:
    > >
    > > 1. Parallel port
    > > 2. Non-GDI- I need to connect this printer to some industrial equipment
    > > that
    > > has a proprietary operating system -PCL 4 would be nice- But I at least
    > > need
    > > the ability to dump ASCII text to the parallel port.
    > > 3. Inexpensive- I need quite a few of these, so I would like to keep the
    > > initial costs below $200.
    > > 4. B&W
    > >
    > > I had been buying Brother HL-1440 (I have about 60 of them), but they
    are
    > > being discontinued. The replacement uses a different cartridge, so that
    > > thought this would be a good opportunity to see if anything else was out
    > > there.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mark

    After an extensive search, I only found one printer with the above
    characteristics. It turned out to be a Brother 5140. It seems that laser
    printers are going the way inkjets did, just a few years ago, eliminating
    the parallel port and using the windows GDI for printing. When this printer
    gets discontinued, I may forced back to impact (dot matrix), where real
    drivers and parallel ports are still the norm.

    thanks to everyone who replied.

    Mark

Printers Laser Printer Peripherals