emm386 question

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have 98se. When windows boots it calls for creative\SBlive|DosDrv etc.to
run, which needs the emm386 driver to be loaded. However I have a program
that runs in Dos which will not run if the emm386 is loaded.
As of now I can get the emm386 to load in windows boot but unable to unload
or stop it from loading when I boot down to Dos.
Does anyone know which autoexec or config files to modify (with the
appropriate commands)?

Thanks,

Bob

"Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message

> I have 98se. When windows boots it calls for creative\SBlive|DosDrv etc.to
> run, which needs the emm386 driver to be loaded. However I have a program
> that runs in Dos which will not run if the emm386 is loaded.
> As of now I can get the emm386 to load in windows boot but unable to
unload
> or stop it from loading when I boot down to Dos.
> Does anyone know which autoexec or config files to modify (with the
> appropriate commands)?

EMM386 is a DOS utility. (Win98 manages memory
differently and does not use it.)

Standard implementation of Win98 requires no
AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS. Try renaming
yours, reboot, and see whether you can run the
DOS app you require. If it needs special memory
handling, you implement this via / Properties.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: "Bob" <news@direcway.com>

| I have 98se. When windows boots it calls for creative\SBlive|DosDrv etc.to
| run, which needs the emm386 driver to be loaded. However I have a program
| that runs in Dos which will not run if the emm386 is loaded.
| As of now I can get the emm386 to load in windows boot but unable to unload
| or stop it from loading when I boot down to Dos.
| Does anyone know which autoexec or config files to modify (with the
| appropriate commands)?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Bob

There should be no reason why a DOS program can't runn with this memory manager. If the DOS
program doesn't run there is a reason and the switch parameters of EMM386 need to be
"tweaked" to give the program what it wants.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

You may need to do some tweaking, as Lipman is saying. First, read
CONFIG.TXT, as Phillipson once suggested. I hope in there, somewhere, it
says these likely should be the first three lines of a fit & proper
Config.sys, optimized for conventional memory. (However, if your game
needs Expanded memory, then "NOEMS" must be changed to "RAM".

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.sys /V
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe NOEMS V
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Only if there is no conflict with your video or network card, for an
added boost in conventional memory, change the EMM386 line to the
following. "You can see if this memory is available by using the Device
Manager", says my book ("Win 98 Secrets" Livingston/Straub).

DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe i=b000 b7fff NOEMS
or to
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe i=b000 b7fff RAM

Next, forget all that, & try it in a Windows DOS (in a box) session, as
Buffalo once said & Phillipson now has said. If it works there, you have
the best of all worlds. In this case, whether or not the game gets
Expanded memory, depends upon Config.sys, the system file. The Windows
DOS box inherits it.

After that, if necessary, try to figure "MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS
and XMS Support" & "MS-DOS Mode for Games", both in C:\Windows. Here is
how it works.

(1) R-Clk it in Explorer, & select "Copy".
(2) R-Clk an empty area of the Desktop, & select "Paste".
(3) Rename it. R-Clk it on the Desktop, & select "Properties".
(4) Click the Programs tab; then, the Advanced button.
(5) Scroll to the bottom of the Autoexec.bat file, & enter the Path to
your DOS program.
(6) OK your way out.
(7) Now, when you click that .pif, you will warm boot to DOS & the game
will begin.
(8) IMPORTANT: When your game finishes, & you are returned to a DOS
prompt, the way to exit is to type "EXIT" at that prompt. This will boot
back to Windows properly. Should you just turn the machine off, the
Config.sys & Autoexec.bat inside this .pif will not get a chance to
switch back with your system files. I believe then you will boot back
into this game, when next you turn that machine on.

Try one after the other. If they fail, you must reread CONFIG.txt for
further clues to optimize.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,