Abit A8N 32X
XFX 7900GT Xtreme Edition
1 GB on Crucial BallistiX memory
80gb Samsung SATA drive
160gb Seagate Barracuda SATA drive
DVD Rom (from old machne)
Sony DVD Re-Writer
Hyper Type-R 580w PSU

And it is fab, I can now run Oblivion on full spec with little issue at all, which was the driving force behind the new PC in the first place. BUT I have 3 wee little issues which hopefully you can help me with….most important first:

1) When I swap a CD in any of the two drives, it will crash the machine, like if I am installing a multi-CD game like Rome: Total War, or if I am just changing the CD. I have to reboot each time, and after the reboot the CD in question will run fine, no problems. This problem is not only worrying but a total pain as I can not install Total war with out it crashing lol.

2) I installed a 2nd HDD today, the Seagate one, which finally got delivered, and although I can see it in the BISO and the POST screens, I can not in Windows.

My Floppy drive in on all the time and wont read any discs, although it does show in Windows

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
The last two issues are easy fixes.
First the floppy, you have the ribbion reversed. I do it all the time, Just flip it around. Test it though after, sometimes if left in that state, you can burn it up.

Second, use the disk management product in windows to see if you can vew the drive there. http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180207718 <-- Should get you there.

Last, CDrom drive should never cause a reboot. This one may take some digging. Did the reboot occur before or after the new drive was installed?

Are all your drives IDE or SATA?

Try a using a new IDE ribbion, and if availible, try it on a diffrent channel

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The CDROMS dont cause the reboot, but I have to reboot to get my system back. Both CDROMS are IDE, and both HDD's are SATA, if that makes a difference.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Ok,

If you can, get another cable (two new ones if youd like for a control). And set them on up diffrent channels on the motherboard. If your other drives are sata, you should another ide channel free.

If you do not have access to another cable at the moment, you can also try disconnecting on drive and seeing if single drive operation pulls your system down.

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Last 2 issues sorted now, thanks.

First one still an issue though, got the following from the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 08/05/2006
Time: 22:45:07
User: N/A
Computer: GANDI
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:qxp_slpcomcom1xsrceventstier1eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I am going to buy some different cables for it, I take it that the cables for CDROMs and HDDs are the same aint they?

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Things from looking at google I should try, what do you think:

Disable MSN Messenger from start up

Try changing cd drive letters(??? Don’t believe this will work)

"In my case, the problem appeared because the "DCOM Service Process Launcher" service not running. Once the service was started the problem disappeared." – could try this