Conroe and Merom naming and new info

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Wow, Core 2, wonder how long it took them to think that one up.

Would've been much cooler if they called the new CPUs :twisted: Hex :twisted: instead

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Conroe and Merom will both be backwards compatible with recently manufactured desktop and mobile motherboards.

This confirms the compatibility of 975x chipset with Conroe! Unless I am missing something?!

Core 2 is actually really good, makes upgrades to the architecture clearly visible.

I hate to say this, but here it goes: I agree with Ycon.

The changes are significant and I feel that is the best way to note them. However, I feel that some people may have confusion in what the "2" stands for. Some people may confuse it as meaning 2 cores. Perhaps "II" would be less confusing, but would be a throwback to "Pentium II". Ahh, the good ol' days.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Core 2 is actually really good, makes upgrades to the architecture clearly visible.

The changes are significant and I feel that is the best way to note them. However, I feel that some people may have confusion in what the "2" stands for. Some people may confuse it as meaning 2 cores. Perhaps "II" would be less confusing, but would be a throwback to "Pentium II". Ahh, the good ol' days. 8O

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I like the name core, and how they denote the number of cores with duo and solo, but naming conroe core 2 I think is a little much.

people may see this and wonder what the original core was, and maybe be unimpressed becase if intel wants to pass core off as very high performance technology (which I'm sure they'll be doing), why didn't they hear about core 1? I'm just thinking this because when the original pentium name launched, it seemed even your average joe knew what it was.

I would have released the original core duo as some sort of dual core pentium name, pentium M D, for (a bad) example, then pulled out the core name when conroe and merom launched.

imo.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

The changes are significant and I feel that is the best way to note them. However, I feel that some people may have confusion in what the "2" stands for. Some people may confuse it as meaning 2 cores. Perhaps "II" would be less confusing, but would be a throwback to "Pentium II". Ahh, the good ol' days.

:) I am not fond of the name Core in and of itself particularly, but the rationale is sane... However, ditching Pentium and going Core helps establish a divergence from the Pentium 4 (and anything that diverges from that is probably a good thing). :) Pentium had it's hey-day, no doubt, but the image of the brand was Netbusted in my opinion.

Jack

Yeah, I tend to agree. I do like the Pentium name though and it will be sorely missed. Or will it? :lol:

How about Intel Pentium Core Duo and Solo? I almost like that better. AMD has the shiznit name though. Athlon is really a powerhouse name and I wish Intel would've followed suit.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
:) I am not fond of the name Core in and of itself particularly, but the rationale is sane... However, ditching Pentium and going Core helps establish a divergence from the Pentium 4 (and anything that diverges from that is probably a good thing). :) Pentium had it's hey-day, no doubt, but the image of the brand was Netbusted in my opinion.

Jack

moving from pentium to core _is_ probably a smart move to show something new, I agree with that. but I think they've gone too far with it already. the core name has been out for what, 5 months, and they're at core 2 already? I guess that's what they want. maybe they'll be taking core into very high numbers before they ditch it altogether when they release their next architecture, seeing as they're saying it'll be every 2 years now. just a thought.

in a way I would have liked them to stick with the pentium name. a pentium 5 would have swayed a lot of people, seeing as everyone knows the pentium name. but pent and 5 really is redundant, so it's probably good they've ditched it.

athlon is probably the best name out of the bunch now, imo. not that it really matters though. but overall I'd say intel has the better naming scheme : pentium, centrino, itanium. and all their code names: northwood, nehalim, cedar mill, etc. I think they're pretty cool. AMD has the athlon name, and opteron which I really like, but their other names are (pretty much) terrible imo. sempron? turion? ugh.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I did not read anything in the article saying that Conroe/Core Duo II is backward compatible with other chipsets. Will Conroe be compatible with 975?

One board maker apparently has gotten an 865 to work, not sure about how good it is, but it was reported.

Jack

I believe it is AOpen from what I saw on the boards here. I hate AOpen with a passion (my workplace has a lot of old stuff built with AOpen boards, cases, and NICs).

I wouldn't have thought bad of Pentium 5, but I understand what Intel is trying to do here. Conroe is nothing like a Pentium 4, it's a whole different beast.

I do agree with several people's opinions: Intel should have made Conroe / Merom the original Core Duo, that would have had much more impact.

It's been a long time since I've been able to make sense of Intel's naming scheme, I think AMD has Intel beat hands down there. Is an Athlon 64 4000+ better than an Athlon 64 3800+? Easy! Is a Pentium 765j better than a Pentium 915 (made those models up)? Who knows! Although a lot of my Intel confusion can be attributed to the fact that I follow AMD products much more closely.

Intel PooPoo'd the Pentium Name up, now there making a clean start with Core.

looking back, core1 will eventually look like a P1 performance wise for its day compared to the future, and core was a mobile only product 8O

However, ditching Pentium and going Core helps establish a divergence from the Pentium 4 (and anything that diverges from that is probably a good thing).

What about calling it the Pentium 5? I would have prefered that.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Main thing I noted is this:

"Intel now confirmed that Conroe will be shipping for revenue in July and Merom in August. If Intel is able to keep the pace of its traditional time-to-market tracks, then we should be seeing first Conroe systems in early September and Merom notebooks no later than in October of this year."

Can this please be the end of people talking about how they're going to build a Conrole system in July? Ain't gonna happen, unless you've got an inside source at Intel.
First chips go to Dell and other big OEMs. Chips may be up on NewEgg, ZZF, TigerD and other supplies in mid August. We'll see.

Yeah, we're getting closer. But I'm tired of people on the forum telling folks who are thinking of building a new computer, "No man, just wait until July for Conroe!"

Great point, Conroe is still a ways off. However, if it is good as what Intel is promising there will be shortages, period. That's wouldn't be Intel's fault for not supplying enough, it would be Intel's fault for creating a product with HUGE demand. I can see NewEgg being just plain sold out of these puppies.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
The thing is, Intel is trying to get away from the people just associating them with processors, they are broadening their spectrum for example ViiV. So changing from pentium to core is most likely a smart step, along with the logo change to "leap ahead" and thats exactly what the conroe is doing, its truly leaping ahead of the A64 in terms of performance. Smurf we can build conroes systems in July, do you think that they are just releasing to OEMS ? the conroe is going to come out july and be in computer retail centres, for us to buy. How ever shortages are likely in july. There is going to be a huge demand for this processor

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Dell always has new chips they day theyre launched.
So they will have Merom Notebooks right when Intel launches them and I will be the first (well... maybe not, but hey) to buy one :)

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
How about Intel Pentium Core Duo and Solo? I almost like that better. AMD has the shiznit name though. Athlon is really a powerhouse name and I wish Intel would've followed suit.

Most of the times, big corporations do outsource their Corporate Image make-up to well known & prestigiated designers and/or to large Marketing & Communication houses.
One familiar example is the the actual IBM logo, created by the late Paul Rand, in 1971 (in 72, he redesigned it, giving it the stripe-like appearance it has today & merited a curious comment "why does it look like a barbershop's sign?!");
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/logo/logo_1.html

Sometimes, as design trends change, so does the Corporate Image/Brand Name supplier. AMD chose the "Master-McNeil" firm to give some shape & sound to their products (AMD64, Duron, Athlon, Sempron, Opteron, Turion, ...); actually, the designations have (as is usual) a greek or latin root, for several reasons: they're easier to spell all over the world (which is not always the case with anglo-saxon roots... or chinese's!), they are easy to memorize (more often than not...) and they convey an intended meaning (for those curious/aquainted with Greek/Latin!):
http://naming.com/consumertech.html

That's why "Pentium" came to life & not "Hexium" or "Heptium"... or "Tetrium"...; that's also why Intel calls its new uArchggghhh!!! "Core" (which comes from the latin cuore - heart - an emotional conotation, also meaning centre or central), and "Solo" (single) & "Duo"...
I'm not sure but, most probably, the numbering/alphanumeric part of it is chosen by the corporation's... marketing "gurus"! :wink:

Cheers!