First PC build. Please rate chosen components.

xmerlinx

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
xxx6bj.png

This is strectching my budget a bit - I'll have to skip a decent monitor for a while, but is this a good choice for a long-term PC? I know I'm missing a soundcard, but I'll purchase one as well as upgrade the speakers if I feel it's really needed.

This is the case. Does the 500W PSU prevent me from perhaps getting Crosfire in the future?

All parts are from dabs.com..

Do people buy from US e-tailers and ship to the UK? Do all components other than the PSU operate on the same voltage?

Thanks.

I have that exact same case and PSU as my fileserver and it has been great and extremely reliable. But, as far as supporting a x1900 crossfire setup it maybe asking a bit much from it since they are really demanding and the fact that it is a single +12v rail may be an issue in stability especially if it starts to sag the voltage - and it probably will when you add the second card.

Perhaps a PSU with a bit more oomph in the +12 like this Antec TPII-550PGB for £72.25 has 38A combined which should give you a bit of piece of mind than the single-rail 34A with the aspire.

Combined w/ the Thermaltake Soprano for £49.02 it should give you a cost-effective high power combination case / psu.

Not sure about the US devices in UK but I was reading european power devices have to comply w/ "active PFC" for some reason, I think that is the only stipulation I have ever heard of for computer equipment.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Does the 500W PSU prevent me from perhaps getting Crosfire in the future?

I'd be surprised if that PS could run an X1900XT XFire. According to PS tech folks, you're gonna want a real healthy +12V current supply. If I remember right, ATI is now packaging a note recommending 30A of +12V for a single X1900XT. I've run one with no problems on the OCZ Modstream that specs at 28A. Regardless, I'd want over 40A of +12V for XFired X1900XTs.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Does the 500W PSU prevent me from perhaps getting Crosfire in the future?

I'd be surprised if that PS could run an X1900XT XFire. According to PS tech folks, you're gonna want a real healthy +12V current supply. If I remember right, ATI is now packaging a note recommending 30A of +12V for a single X1900XT. I've run one with no problems on the OCZ Modstream that specs at 28A. Regardless, I'd want over 40A of +12V for XFired X1900XTs.

100% agreed

xmerlinx

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Okay, Crossfire seems to be too much for my chosen PSU. I'd be correct in thinking it'll cope nicely with just the one X1900 XT with 34A on +12V, right? I have my eyes firmly on this case, so if I do choose Crossfire before it would be a pointless move, I'll just upgrade the PSU at the same time. :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Okay, Crossfire seems to be too much for my chosen PSU. I'd be correct in thinking it'll cope nicely with just the one X1900 XT with 34A on +12V, right? I have my eyes firmly on this case, so if I do choose Crossfire before it would be a pointless move, I'll just upgrade the PSU at the same time. :)

I'd think 34A would be plenty for one, assuming you don't add a ton of HDs and other peripherals that would load it down. And waiting on a newer PS for XFire is not a bad idea. You could go with a monster like the PCP&C 1KW right now and be sure it would deliver, but I talked to like three PS tech guys that said they were working hard on SLI/XF PS's right now. As in, they were in good shape doing SLI/XF until the 7900GTX and X1900XT arrived. Enermax will have its new killer PS out in July, OCZs was just shipped. ZipZoomFly has it listed as in-stock but Newegg wasn't showing it last time I checked.