VFR Vatsim Flying Club

Found this today. I like Vatsim and VFR and this is a nice mix.

http://www.freewebs.com/vfrclub/

Bob

great to see another VFR fan!

For UK VFR clubs have a look at

http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/ and http://www.hawarden.org.uk/

Ruth
Deputy Director, VATSIM-UK
www.vatsim-uk.org
www.vatsim.net

In article <ocq9f1hi446ub28820igq1b0n80dqj4dol@4ax.com>, nospam@nospam.com
(Capt Bob) wrote:

> *From:* Capt Bob <nospam@nospam.com>
> *Date:* Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:48:03 GMT
>
> Found this today. I like Vatsim and VFR and this is a nice mix.
>

> http://www.freewebs.com/vfrclub/
>

> Bob

dallas

"Capt Bob"
> Found this today. I like Vatsim and VFR and this is a nice mix.
> http://www.freewebs.com/vfrclub/

I just want to make sure I understand the concept here, is the idea to fly
with other live traffic?
Is the VATSIM ATC part minor?
Is the network primarily for UNICOM chatter?

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "Capt Bob"
>
>>Found this today. I like Vatsim and VFR and this is a nice mix.
>>http://www.freewebs.com/vfrclub/
>

> I just want to make sure I understand the concept here, is the idea to fly
> with other live traffic?
> Is the VATSIM ATC part minor?
> Is the network primarily for UNICOM chatter?
>
> Dallas

My not being able to talk clearly any longer has me shying away and I
only have a few hours on VATSIM. But one time I was on there was a
controller in Las Vegas chatting with me as I flew around KHOU. It was a
very slow night. But there are people who love controlling as much as we
love flying so it's a great world there on VATSIM or IVAO. You can log
in as an observer and listen to the controllers and pilots to get an
idea what's going on. While talking I told the Las Vegas Tower I was 20
miles south of KHOU inbound for a VFR approach to 35. Gabriella looked
up from her computer at me as I was broadcasting my position and
intentions. I'm not sure what she was thinking.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

I just want to make sure I understand the concept here, is the idea to
fly
with other live traffic? Is the VATSIM ATC part minor?
Is the network primarily for UNICOM chatter?

In order:

1. Yes, although I've also spent many happy hours just flying the
pattern at KSMO, talking with the controller and coordinating spacing
with other pilots.

2. That depends on whether you are (a) flying in a class-bravo area and
(b) it is actually busy. If yes, then you may have a a good deal of
interaction with ATC whether you like it or not. Otherwise, you can
request flight following -- which is available on a workload-permitting
basis.

3. Unicomm is weak on VATSIM right now -- it's all text. One day it
will be voice, but that will have to wait until the network can
discriminate Socal UNICOMM from Australia UNICOMM.

Just to be clear: most ATC is on voice. It's only UNICOMM that's
_always_ text.

dallas

"boB"
I'm not sure what she was thinking.

That you have finally gone too far with this Flight Simulator thing. :)

Dallas

william

One day voice will be back on unicom. Abuse was the main reason to disable
this feature.
Bill

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1123547304.30385@forums.simradar.com...
> Just to be clear: most ATC is on voice. It's only UNICOMM that's
> _always_ text.

The idea is to fly with both live traffic and live controllers. VATSIM
has people who simulate ATC in the same way as you simulate flying an
aircraft. Instead of a cockpit we have a radar screen showing all the
pilots online in our area.

The aim is to make it as real as we can, so whichever part of the world
you fly in, you will find the controllers use the proper procedures for
that country. All the controllers go through a proper training programme,
complete with exams, though if you get a new student the ATC instructions
may be a bit odd while he gets the hang of it.

So you get to follow realistic ATC instructions, not some of the bizarre
stuff that MSFS comes up with. You can communicate by voice or text.
Unless it's really busy most controllers are pretty relaxed and the odd
joke doesn't go amiss. And don't worry about going wrong occasionally -
controller cock-ups happen too!

There is something quite amazing about hearing accents from all over the
world. In an evening on Essex Radar, which covers London Stansted and
London Luton, I can be talking to an Irish pilot flying Ryanair, followed
by a German pilot in his Lufthansa, as well assorted UK pilots both VFR
and IFR.

Unicom is purely used for position reporting when there is no ATC online.

Do come and try it!

Ruth
Deputy Director, VATSIM-UK
www.vatsim.net