Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 8, 2006 5:52:37 PM

Hi everybody out there. I've just discovered this forum and I'd like to say it's excellent!!!
I need to ask what is probably a really stupid question....

I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherbord with 1G of memory and an AMD 2700+ Athlon processor.

As my graphics card (ATI Radeon 9700 Pro) is getting a bit long in the tooth, I'm thinking of moving over to PCIX, which obviously means installing another motherboard (Any ASUS PCIX motherboards yet?).

What is the process for installing another motherboard in a PC and can I reuse my processor/memory?!!! Surely it can't be as simple as removing the old board, swapping the processor and/or memory and plugging it all back together?!!!
A quick lesson on 'upgrading your motherboard for dummies' would be much appreciated....

Thanks a lot,
KG

More about : upgrading motherboard

May 9, 2006 7:37:48 PM

Quote:
Surely it can't be as simple as removing the old board, swapping the processor and/or memory and plugging it all back together?!!!
It is exactly that simple, mechanically. :)  (There's lots of "got-ya's" on the software side with removing & installing motherboad drivers, etc.)

First the terminology. It isn't PCIX. PCIX is a high-speed PCI bus for servers & workstations. What you're talking about is PCIE. (I know - its just an acronym, but now everyone's on the same acronym page)

Asus makes PCIe mobos. But no one makes PCIe mobos for your CPU (mine either).

I think the choice for you is either buy a whole new system, or buy an AGP video card to hang onto the old system a little longer.

Mike.
May 10, 2006 7:58:02 PM

Thanks for that. I'll remember about PCIe!!!!
I think I'll stick to AGP for the time being - I've got my eye on a GeForce 7800 GS card, sounds pretty good by all accounts...

Actually, it was the software stuff I was interested in. When the time comes to revamp the entire system, what does one do with regard to software to ensure that the PC works ok with it's new MB?

It's slightly annoying that ASUS don't make a PCIe MB that will take an AMD processor. Do thay plan to rectify this in the future? I would like to stay with ASUS as this MB is one of the best I've had!!

Regards,
KG
Related resources
May 10, 2006 8:22:52 PM

On the software side of things when you do upgrade make sure you back up your data (use Ghost or some third party disk image program as windows back up is so slow by the time its done you will need to upgrade again....) clean out the prefetch folder and make sure you run any clean up programs. Its a good idea to uninstall as many drivers as you can get to that have to do with your mobo and graphics and sound, then power down do your hardware swap and power up windows should boot and start detecting all kinds of new goodies. You will need to download all your newer drivers and after that you should be good to go. Thats what I did under XP Pro and it seems to have worked out well. As always the best thing to do is a fresh install.
May 10, 2006 9:02:03 PM

For the price of a 7800GS you can have a 7900GT....faster,cooler and uses less power.

Get a DFI MB and a 939 pin Optron.
All Optrons have the full 1 MB cashe,use less power than your older AMD CPU and overclock up to 2.9Ghz befor you need to raise the voltage 0.025 volts!

Most cheeper Optrons can make it to 3Ghz with DDR500 ram and a memory ratio (DFI MB's have alot more ratios than ASUS and alot better parts on them as well).

Boxed sets (with cooler and no-hassle 3 year warrenty):

Optron 144 (1.8 stock) are $139 (X 9 multi)
Optron 146 (2.0 stock) are $200 (X 10 multi)
Optron 148 (2.2 stock) are $259 (X 11 multi)

I have a 146 on stock volts running @ 2.9Ghz as I only have DDR500 ram (2 x 1Gb G.Skill 4000USU2-HZ @ 2.6 volts).....runs nice and cool at 38C under 100% load with a Thermalright SI-120 cooler in a Coolermaster case.
I use Silverstone FM-121 fans for cooler and case (rated up to 110 CFM and come with a free speed controler).

For the same price you can get G.Skill DDR600 ram (2 X 512 at 2.7 volts)...running this ram at rated speed will put the 146 @ 3Ghz at a 1:1 ratio (like having a P4 @ 4.36Ghz,not bad for a $200 cpu!).

Z
May 10, 2006 9:08:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll remember about PCIe!!!!
I think I'll stick to AGP for the time being - I've got my eye on a GeForce 7800 GS card, sounds pretty good by all accounts...
Nice card. Probably one of the last higher-end cards to come out in AGP.

Quote:
Actually, it was the software stuff I was interested in. When the time comes to revamp the entire system, what does one do with regard to software to ensure that the PC works ok with it's new MB?
Most (me included) suggest a reinstall of Windows, but JonathanDeane has the steps to make that maybe unnecessary. Briefly:
Make a backup/ghost.
Uninstall mobo drivers (also sound/lan/etc - whatever's not going into the new system.
Shut down and swap mobo's.
Boot up. It may recognize a new mobo and ask for the drivers, or you may need to do a repair install.

Quote:
It's slightly annoying that ASUS don't make a PCIe MB that will take an AMD processor. Do thay plan to rectify this in the future? I would like to stay with ASUS as this MB is one of the best I've had!!
They do make a PCIe mobo that takes an AMD, just not our old Athlon XP's that have been out of production for over a year - and since it was just about to go out of production when PCIe was released, there was no update to them. (your 2700+ isn't a Sempron, is it? If it's a socket 754 or 939 part, then they do make them)

Mike.
!