Would greatly appreciate advice on a MB install.

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Hi all. I would appreciate any insight you might give on my problem.

System:
PCchips M811 series MB
AMD 800 Duron CPU
Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 8 20G ATA133 HDD
PC2100 512M
ATI Rage 128
CDDVD combo

I put in the new motherboard and used the CPU and HD from my old system. I get through the post (mem checks O.K.), then nothing, just hangs with the cursor blinking on the black screen with the post info. Everything is recognized correctly: CPU, HD, CDDVD, Mem, yet no boot into Windows (HD has ME on it) :wink:

I've downloaded boot disks and tried to boot from the CD, yet no go (I'm downloading from an Apple~make a difference?). I've switched cables, changed boot preferences in BIOS, made the HD a slave, CD primary boot, cleared the BIOS .yada, yada...still no go.
From other posts here, it sounds as if I have to reinstall Windows?

I do want to get a new PS, I have a 300W, yet, I've had it for years and it seems to be making some grumbling noises :wink:

Any thoughts or steps to take from you learned souls would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Are you sure Windows ME will like being installed on a slave drive? The 9x series of Windows could only be installed on a Primary master IIRC. You don't need to make the optical drive a master, just change the boot order in the BIOS.

I'd try booting from the Windows CD and do a nice, fresh format and reinstall (assuming you have no data on the drive that you want to keep).

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Agreed, Windows doesn't like it when you change the MB or CPU.

If you want to save any data I would write it to CD or take your HD to a friends place and copy the data to his HD.

If you can afford it I would suggest you buy a second HD and install Windows onto that. When done copy anything that you want from your original HD onto it then format your original HD to use as a data disk.

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Thank you Waylander, prozac and Llama for your replies! I had a feeling that was the case. I don't have my Win CD's (actually, they were probably floppies for install :wink:) . So, I'll upgrade to XP. Here's another question tho... Do I need the full blown version or would the XP upgrade over the HD with ME on it do? Since the HD won't boot, I'm thinking full blown....

Thanks again!

Do I need the full blown version or would the XP upgrade over the HD with ME on it do? Since the HD won't boot, I'm thinking full blown....

Thanks again!

The full Windows XP CD would be the best and the cleanest way to do it.

Since you only have the Upgrade CD you will need to install Windows ME first, then use the upgrade CD.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
If you're buying a new disc, go for the fullblown option. No point reinstalling ME then upgrading to XP if you can just go straight to XP.

If you're buying a new hard disk as well, you'll be able to buy an OEM copy of Windows XP, which will "only" cost you £50 or so (much cheaper than buying retail though).

Once you've used XP, you'll probably never want to use ME again, but save it incase you build a download box out of spare parts or something.