Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive not found

Last response: in Windows 7
April 19, 2011 8:12:09 AM

My hardrive from my old laptop is in an external hard drive because i want to get the pics and info of it onto my new laptop, i have plugged the enclosure in to the lap[top with both USB's but only one red loight is on the external hard drive and it is not in my computer, it bleeps on my laptop when it is plkugged in thoy :D  please help me get my docs bakc :) 

More about : hard drive found

a b D Laptop
April 19, 2011 8:24:04 PM

I am assuming that new laptop has win7. Do the following:

- right click on Computer
- select Manage
- on the new window, select Disk Management (on left pane)

Do you see the external drive? Does it has a drive letter assigned? Sometimes Windows does not set a drive letter automatically. It happened to me before. It Disk Management shows the drive without a drive letter, just assign one. You can then see the drive and its content.
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 8:24:57 PM

Sounds like the enclosure is being detected thus the beep but the HDD in the enclosure may have failed.
April 20, 2011 5:18:34 AM

Stewart1234 said:
My hardrive from my old laptop is in an external hard drive because i want to get the pics and info of it onto my new laptop, i have plugged the enclosure in to the lap[top with both USB's but only one red loight is on the external hard drive and it is not in my computer, it bleeps on my laptop when it is plkugged in thoy :D  please help me get my docs bakc :) 

Please list the drive type, size, interface (SATA or IDE) and the size of the slot it is meant to plug into.

I had a similar problem with an IDE 3.5" drive once. My local computer store's tech said that it might be because the drive was being mounted incorrectly. Fortunately, I didn't need the info. on it so I just threw it away.
!