Sign in with
Your question

What the heck is bogging down my rebuild?

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2006 7:46:34 PM

I had to do some minor rebuilds on my system when I found out my fake raptors had bit the dust. My system is now compised of the following:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-53
ATI X850 XT
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
Antec NeoPower 480 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1 Wide Flat Panel

I have since done a clean install of Windows XP, Packed up to SP 2 and then I started loading software. I loaded the latest Cat's. and the usual Creative Software and all the device drivers have been updated... but now the thing runs like a stuffed pig. I takes forever to load data from the drives or from the interenet. Geeze does every program have to wrap itsself around your registry and choke it to death???!!! I'm going to do another disk reformat tonight and try not to use ATI's CCC or any other extraneous crap. Maybe I can get my old performance back.

Da Worfster

More about : heck bogging rebuild

May 8, 2006 8:09:50 PM

That setup should run quick(obvious statement) but other than that I have no idea. Useless post maybe but useful bump... o yeah
May 8, 2006 8:26:58 PM

Have you tried using a registry cleaner after you're done all your installs?
Related resources
May 8, 2006 8:42:29 PM

Quote:
I had to do some minor rebuilds on my system when I found out my fake raptors had bit the dust. My system is now compised of the following:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-53
ATI X850 XT
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
Antec NeoPower 480 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1 Wide Flat Panel

I have since done a clean install of Windows XP, Packed up to SP 2 and then I started loading software. I loaded the latest Cat's. and the usual Creative Software and all the device drivers have been updated... but now the thing runs like a stuffed pig. I takes forever to load data from the drives or from the interenet. Geeze does every program have to wrap itsself around your registry and choke it to death???!!! I'm going to do another disk reformat tonight and try not to use ATI's CCC or any other extraneous crap. Maybe I can get my old performance back.

Da Worfster

Yes most all programs infest the registery and slow up Windows. I would try exploring services, start and stop applications that you are using inorder to gauge a performance benchmark. Work backwards, run a net start and SC and find out whats running and why. Then find your run registry directory or msconfig to see whats in there. Even with the worst of apps, your shouldnt be running that slow. I have heard in some enviorments that SP2 will bog down a system using particular apps.
May 8, 2006 8:42:42 PM

Were you running sp2 before? Because it slows down a pc, and how many programs do you have that start on boot up because if you have a lot of those it can slow you down but it shouldn’t with that cpu you got.

Also do you use any virtual drive software? Those can cause a mess by themselves; after you have them and some games installed that don’t play nice with virtual drives then your speed really kicks down.

One more thing, I have an IDE dvd drive and hdd and if they are hooked up my pc takes forever in post but with them unhooked it flashes the post screen and to the xp loading screen
May 8, 2006 9:03:36 PM

Don't know how much it's going to help, but I'm running the same motherboard with a 3500+, but with 2Gb memory, 2x 36Gb Raptors in RAID 0 and an X800XT AIW, and it flies like the wind.

Its maybe not the most updated gaming rig, but for a system over 1 year old, Windows hasn't slowed down at all and I've never used a Registry cleaner, which you SHOULD NOT have to use after a fresh XP install, that's just not good advice.

Flash the mobo BIOS and consider upgrading to 2Gb RAM. Also, try disconnecting the IDE hard drive, they have been known to cause issues when used in conjunction with SATA drives, and I had to use an external enclosure to avoid errors with mine. Also, SP2 is critical and won't slow XP down enough to notice, so make sure you use it and ignore anyone who tells you not to.
May 8, 2006 9:12:33 PM

try not using the catalyst control centre just install the standard driver. i had the same issue when i was running my last card an x800XT CCC slowed the machine down to a grind on everything, bootup especially, i think it was something to do with .NET framework which CCC uses, but goodluck getting it sorted sucks when a computer plays up like that
May 9, 2006 1:10:50 PM

Slight update. I think I got it sussed out. I went to do a "fresh" windows XP install last night and the puter told me that my current version of Windows "needed repair" I said "oh". I tried to do a repair and while it helped it didn't fix. So in the end I stayed up to 2:00 AM doing another clean install. I figured out what busted it though. I brough a Western Digital "My Book" for back ups and restores. I left it OFF this rebirthing and things are running fine. I think Windows didn't like this "virtual" real drive. Hate to have it sitting there doing nothing though...

Thanks for the love folks..

Da Worfster
May 9, 2006 1:23:05 PM

Quote:
Were you running sp2 before? Because it slows down a pc, and how many programs do you have that start on boot up because if you have a lot of those it can slow you down but it shouldn’t with that cpu you got.

Also do you use any virtual drive software? Those can cause a mess by themselves; after you have them and some games installed that don’t play nice with virtual drives then your speed really kicks down.

One more thing, I have an IDE dvd drive and hdd and if they are hooked up my pc takes forever in post but with them unhooked it flashes the post screen and to the xp loading screen

I agree that XP SP2 is considerably slower than SP1 or no SP at all, but the difference in speed is mostly noticeable on systems with 128/256 MB of RAM... you don't fall into that category.
May 9, 2006 6:02:52 PM

Quote:

I agree that XP SP2 is considerably slower than SP1 or no SP at all, but the difference in speed is mostly noticeable on systems with 128/256 MB of RAM... you don't fall into that category.
The problem with NOT doing either SP is that there are programs, 3rd Party programs the REQUIRE it. I couldn't update my USB Port drivers without SP1. Kind of a neccesary evil I guess.

Da Worfster
!