Dual core processors (I need advise)

robchandler2006

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hi,

I am about to upgrade from a single core processor to a dual core. This means upgrading the motorboard as my current one does not support the processor I want.

Currently I have an AMD 754pin Sempron (crap I know) but I am going to go for a AMD 939pin 4200 dual core.

I want to know is, with the change of the motherboard is there anything else I need to do, or is it a case of "plug and play?"

I have heard alot about bios updates, and if I do have to update the bios, where and how do I do it?

Cheers

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
In order to play it safe you should really do a new installation of everything. First mobo/CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/Optical drive and a clean install of Windows (I'm assuming that's what you're using). Then all the WinXP updates and driver updates you need and then install all the other components you have (Soundcard, external devices etc.) Things will most likely be smoother this way even though it will take some time to complete. If you want to take the plunge and just change the old mobo&CPU with the new ones then be prepared for some issues on the software side, usually from the Windows registry. If that happens you can try tackling the registry (if you're feeling lucky) or do a clean install of WinXP (if you want peace of mind). Most mobo manufacturers include software to help you download and install an updated version of the BIOS but you should only do that if you really need it