7800GT x2 (SLI) or 7900GTX

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Here's a variation on the same question asked in another post:

I want to find out if I should go SLI with two 7800GT (have one of them already and a SLI mobo), or get the 7900GTX. BUT: the goal is to get good frame rates on my 24" widescreen TFT (1920x1200 resolution).

Rest: Athlon64 3500+, 1GB RAM, A8N-SLI SE

Also, would the processor in either case be the bottleneck?

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
what kind of frame rates you getting now? i have 2 7800 gtx's and it does good but i think in some test's the (1) 7900 gtx will out perform the 2 cards in sli. from what i here the newer cards are coming in the next few month's and you might be better off waiting a little bit and get the newest high performance card or even picking up a 7900 gtx then at lower price.the only reason i got the second card was i got a heck of a deal on ebay,and i was planning to re-sell it but the kid in me couldn't resist trying the combination in sli and i liked it

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
i forgot about the rest of your question.i dont think your processor would be a bottleneck,but overclocking it is an option if you want better performance. but i would try 2 gigs of good memory,alot of newer games work better with more memory.id say that would be the bottleneck if you even had one

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
i forgot about the rest of your question.i dont think your processor would be a bottleneck,but overclocking it is an option if you want better performance. but i would try 2 gigs of good memory,alot of newer games work better with more memory.id say that would be the bottleneck if you even had one

Agreed.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks, guys! The 2GB are already ordered and on their way to me!

So, prozac26, how CAN I be guaranteed the true potential of SLI?

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I see that your system is quite a bit better than mine (with 2 GTXs and the CPU), so I'm quite sure that you're getting the frames you want. In fact, I'm only looking to get another 5 frames extra or so to be happy. The Half Life 2 extra level (with HDR lights, what's it called again?) sometimes gets as low as 20fps (on 1920x1200 resolution), but it's not too bad overall, usually frame rates are around 25-35. But when it does get below 25 you really notice it...

what kind of frame rates you getting now? i have 2 7800 gtx's and it does good but i think in some test's the (1) 7900 gtx will out perform the 2 cards in sli. from what i here the newer cards are coming in the next few month's and you might be better off waiting a little bit and get the newest high performance card or even picking up a 7900 gtx then at lower price.the only reason i got the second card was i got a heck of a deal on ebay,and i was planning to re-sell it but the kid in me couldn't resist trying the combination in sli and i liked it