GA-8KNXP - Mixing SATA and IDE

Drumcode

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Does anyone know how to help me?

I'm running SATA HD as a primary with the OS on it (no problems) Just this weekend I've got an IDE 80G Maxtor drive, installed it and the system doesn't boot to XP. As soon as I pull the IDE out it boots to Windows nicely without any problems. I've tried to get some help from Gigabyte on this but these people seem to be clueless.

The booting sequence looks like this: Floppy, SCSI, CDROM. The SATA RAID is set to enable in the bios. The bios recognizes the IDE drive but the GigaRAID bios doesn't. The system boots to the point of the black Windows XP screen and then it restarts. Any ideas guys? I'm lost.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Does the IDE drive have an operating system on it?

I had the reverse of your problem - I had an IDE drive with windows, and couldn't get it to boot when I put the SATA drive in. Problem was the SATA drive had a broken windows install on it. As soon as I reformatted the SATA drive, I had no problem booting properly. So, kindof a guess, but you have no other responses yet, so...

I looks like you have the boot sequence right - unless there's some additional setting somewhere. For example, my old Soyo board has a 'boot external device' option right below the boot order that has to be enabled to boot the SATA drive. (fiddling with it didn't help my problem, but maybe it'll help yours?) That was an older Socket A board, but its a thought.

Mike.

Drumcode

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
It turned out that the SATA drive was hooked into the wrong port :lol: on the board. (Intel port instead of the Silicon Image) I had it hooked up like that for almost a year and a half with no problems but then, I wasn't using the IDE.

Thanks for the help. :wink: