Satellite receiver calling out over VOIP?

Folks,

I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
think it is $5 per month per receiver).

Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?

Thanks.

--
Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

    "Hemant Shah" <shah@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message

    > Folks,
    >
    > I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
    > have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are
    connected
    > to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera
    connected
    > to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver
    (I
    > think it is $5 per month per receiver).
    >
    > Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Vonage works just like a regular phone line. The only difference is that
    you need to dial "1 (area code) (number)" , but otherwise it functions as a
    normal phone. You even use a normal phone as a handset.

    Rather than the ability to dial, the question is whether or not you'll be
    able to connect and pass data both ways. My gut feeling is it won't work,
    but that's just a guess based on my own knowledge of voip and the complete
    lack of any QOS protocols over the public Internet. Any device that needs
    to pass TONES (modem tones/fax tones) over a VOIP connection is going to
    be facing a tough challenge.

    How *sure* are you of this phone line "requirement"? I cannot answer for
    DISH, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that with DirecTV the
    phone line is *NOT* mandatory.

    Yes indeed, DTV will really push for it but cannot force you nor make it a
    condition of service nor surcharge you for any receivers which are not
    connected to a phone line. However, what they absolutely *CAN* do is deny
    you the ability to order PPV events through your receiver. In this
    situation you have to either place PPV orders verbally over the phone ($5
    surcharge per order) or else order them over the Internet (no surcharge).

    In article <cnar9o$a4t$1@new7.xnet.com> Hemant Shah
    <shah@typhoon.xnet.com> writes:

    >Folks,
    >
    > I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
    > have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
    > to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
    > to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
    > think it is $5 per month per receiver).
    >
    > Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It does work. Bell Expressvu has the same technology in Canada and this
    works without problem over a Vonage line.

    Hemant Shah wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
    > have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
    > to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
    > to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
    > think it is $5 per month per receiver).
    >
    > Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hemant Shah <shah@typhoon.xnet.com> writes:

    > I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage),

    Don't do it! (There are better providers.)

    > I also
    > have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
    > to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
    > to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
    > think it is $5 per month per receiver).

    I have Dish Network and multiple recievers too. I haven't connected them
    to a phone line but I think mine are grandfathered from the days when there
    wasn't an extra charge for not wiring them. (I used ISDN when I first
    subscribed to Dish Network and I've been hoping to drop wired phone service
    ever since.)

    > Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?

    Ug. Good question. I'm very doubtful that you'll be successful with such an
    arrangement. On the plus side, the receivers are able to work though
    "wireless phone jacks" so they can't be *too* demanding (2400 baud?). I have
    unfounded doubts that even a slow modem would make it through codecs that
    Vonage (or most anyone else) supports though.

    I've considered setting up a modem and a line simulator to turn the DN modem
    data back into digital form. Then you could easily ship it via IP to a real
    modem somewhere else. All the technology is available. I'd be surprised if
    no one has done it already but I haven't found a ready-to-go solution.

    --kyler
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    While stranded on information super highway Mitel wrote:
    > Rather than the ability to dial, the question is whether or not you'll be
    > able to connect and pass data both ways. My gut feeling is it won't work,
    > but that's just a guess based on my own knowledge of voip and the complete
    > lack of any QOS protocols over the public Internet. Any device that needs
    > to pass TONES (modem tones/fax tones) over a VOIP connection is going to
    > be facing a tough challenge.
    >
    > How *sure* are you of this phone line "requirement"? I cannot answer for
    > DISH, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that with DirecTV the
    > phone line is *NOT* mandatory.

    This is just another way they want to make money. Dish network support
    person told me that I DO NOT have to connect the phone line to the receiver
    but then I have to pay $5.00 per month per receiver. He told me why I needed
    to pay, but I cannot remember it now, it had nothing to do with Pay per
    view. He said that if the receiver cannot connect to their system over the
    phone line, I will get big black square in the middle of my screen unless
    I connect phone line or pay them $5.00 per month per receiver.
    He also told me that few customers did not have problem using Vonage with
    Dish receiver, I have to change the setting in the receiver so that it dials
    *99 before dialing out.

    I have not tried it yet.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    In article <cnt1b1$26l$1@new7.xnet.com> Hemant Shah
    <shah@typhoon.xnet.com> writes:

    > This is just another way they want to make money. Dish network support
    > person told me that I DO NOT have to connect the phone line to the receiver
    > but then I have to pay $5.00 per month per receiver. He told me why I needed
    > to pay, but I cannot remember it now, it had nothing to do with Pay per
    > view. He said that if the receiver cannot connect to their system over the
    > phone line, I will get big black square in the middle of my screen unless
    > I connect phone line or pay them $5.00 per month per receiver.
    > He also told me that few customers did not have problem using Vonage with
    > Dish receiver, I have to change the setting in the receiver so that it dials
    > *99 before dialing out.

    The issue is that DISH is being anal about making certain every receiver
    is actually located at the same residence where it is subscribed. This
    "requirement" effectively prevents you from getting multiple receivers all
    on the 1 same account and then passing them out to your relatives and
    buddies and splitting the bill.

    DirecTV cares too, and if discovered will terminate service, but they are
    not quite as anal about it. All DTV will do is restrict those receivers so
    that they cannot place PPV orders (which when you think about it is to
    your advantage because it prevents your degenerate friends/relatives from
    running up your PPV bill)

VPN VoIP Networking