Swapping Asus Mobos issue

Kapula

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Allright, since my old mobo Asus A8V - Deluxe took a bullet. Time to swap for new one.

Swapping Asus A8V-Deluxe to Asus A8N-E

Question is this, Do i have to reinstall windows when swapped?

If not - Do i have to remove something before swap ? eg- Drivers from Device management ?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Going from a Via chipset to an nForce chipset. I would reinstall windows, but if you want to give it a try:

Backup important stuff, just in case.
Remove the mobo drivers & shut down.
Swap mobos.
Boot up and see. If it doesn't work, perform a repair install.

I've always just reinstalled windows, so I have no idea if it works reliably or not.

Mike.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You will probably have to reinstall Windows. You have enough troubles with Windows that you don't need to throw a curve ball like a new MB at it as well.

If you reinstall Windows you will have to back up all your data that you want to save anyway (like your pr0n) so go ahead and give it a try but have your XP disk ready because you will probably need it. I would also suggest that you download all the newest drivers before you start and burn them onto a CD, that way you aren't waiting for them to download after you have Windows installed, this can speed up the reinstall by a couple of hours.

Kapula

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hookay, i have done some researh with this matter.
Conclusion: about 70% says that i should reinstall windows.
Hookay, i got my harddrive split into 3 sections: C,E,F

It's 300g SataRaid harddrive. i got problem finding the drivers for it, anyidea where i could get them?

Does windows _find_ my HD or do i have to install new Sataraid drivers ?

Also, do the other sections remain if i format "C" section ?
So i could do a clean install to the empthy "C" section?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
For that new of a mobo you should not need SATA drivers unless you're using RAID. Just be sure to plug the SATA into the chipset ports, not add-on ports (the nVidia SATA, not the 3rd party one). If you need drivers, you probably get them 1) from the CD that came with the mobo; or 2) from the manufacturer's website.

If you only format C, only C will be formatted, E & F will not change. Reformat C and install clean there. Perfect setup. :)

Mike.

Kapula

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Kewl. Well tomoz i will see to it.
Plan : Formatting C section and goin for new fresh intall.
Ty everyone, ty Mike.

Umm last time i had to find the sataraid drivers from the manufactors page. Well i hope they are foind from the cd.