Epson C80 and CX4600 - Preventing the Cleaning Procedure

Is there any way to tell these printers not to run the periodic
cleaning cycle?

They print OK (perfect nozzle check print) until they perform the
cleaning cycle, which seems to be done every few days regardless
whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
lines printed almost black, etc. After
turning the printer off and letting it sit overnight, it prints OK again,
until it performs the "cleaning" and the problem repeats itself.

I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
is not the cause of the problem.

So I repeat my question: can I order the printers just to forget about
their "cleaning"?

Pavel

Epson like to do this so they use more inks.

Pavel Dvorak wrote:

>Is there any way to tell these printers not to run the periodic
>cleaning cycle?
>
>They print OK (perfect nozzle check print) until they perform the
>cleaning cycle, which seems to be done every few days regardless
>whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
>the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
>lines printed almost black, etc. After
>turning the printer off and letting it sit overnight, it prints OK again,
>until it performs the "cleaning" and the problem repeats itself.
>
>I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
>is not the cause of the problem.
>
>So I repeat my question: can I order the printers just to forget about
>their "cleaning"?
>
>Pavel

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

> Epson like to do this so they use more inks.
>
> Pavel Dvorak wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to tell these printers not to run the periodic
> >cleaning cycle?
> >
> >They print OK (perfect nozzle check print) until they perform the
> >cleaning cycle, which seems to be done every few days regardless
> >whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
> >the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
> >lines printed almost black, etc.

It sounds like your docking area is saturated with ink to the point of
overflowing - this could then give the cross contamination you speak of.
With the C80 you have both a dump reservoir and sponge area. Try mopping a
bit up with tissue and cotton buds. You may have to whip out the plug mid
flight to access the docking sponge area.
Whatever the cartridges I don't think you can override the so called
cleaning (priming) cycles.
Tony
--
Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On 22 Feb 2005 02:19:12 GMT, ah772@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Pavel Dvorak) wrote:

>I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
>is not the cause of the problem.

Compatibles wouldn't affect Epson's design, i.e. arbitrary cleaning in order to
waste ink so that gullible customer keep wasting money purchasing overpriced
originals.
If you can afford originals, you can afford to waste ink.
Otherwise, get a Canon and refill the cartridges.

That's not the sole, and probably not even the main reason. All inkjet
printers do some type of cleaning processes, usually at start up.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Epson like to do this so they use more inks.
> Pavel Dvorak wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to tell these printers not to run the periodic
>> cleaning cycle?
>>
>> They print OK (perfect nozzle check print) until they perform the
>> cleaning cycle, which seems to be done every few days regardless
>> whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning" the
>> nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
>> lines printed almost black, etc. After
>> turning the printer off and letting it sit overnight, it prints OK again,
>> until it performs the "cleaning" and the problem repeats itself.
>>
>> I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
>> is not the cause of the problem.
>>
>> So I repeat my question: can I order the printers just to forget about
>> their "cleaning"?
>>
>> Pavel

What a bunch of cynical and dishonest statements. I won't even waste my
fingers replying to each part of it.

Further, when you get your Canons, even with "refill ink" to have even
1/10th the longevity of the ink against fading that the Epsons discussed
above do, or the water resistance, then you might come close to having
the beginning of a reasonable argument.

Epson does numerous things in their design and marketing I don't
appreciate, but your comments aren't even close to valid.

Art

pete wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2005 02:19:12 GMT, ah772@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Pavel Dvorak) wrote:
>

>>I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
>>is not the cause of the problem.
>

> Compatibles wouldn't affect Epson's design, i.e. arbitrary cleaning in order to
> waste ink so that gullible customer keep wasting money purchasing overpriced
> originals.
> If you can afford originals, you can afford to waste ink.
> Otherwise, get a Canon and refill the cartridges.

I also want to disable the auto clean head routine manually but
the firmware seems hardcoded.
no way...

LF

> Is there any way to tell these printers not to run the periodic
> cleaning cycle?
>
> They print OK (perfect nozzle check print) until they perform the
> cleaning cycle, which seems to be done every few days regardless
> whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
> the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
> lines printed almost black, etc. After
> turning the printer off and letting it sit overnight, it prints OK again,
> until it performs the "cleaning" and the problem repeats itself.
>
> I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
> is not the cause of the problem.
>
> So I repeat my question: can I order the printers just to forget about
> their "cleaning"?
>
> Pavel

> whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
> the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
> lines printed almost black, etc.

It's obvious, the cleaning part isn't working properly. I came across the
same problem, I know it well. If the printer is in guarantee, ok. If not you
could live with it with a bit frustration and a bit more ink consumption.
After you see the nozzles not printing correct, do another cleaning cycle
immediately, not the other day.

--

Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (áöáéñÝóôå ôïí áñéèìü åííéÜ áðü ôï email)

--
"Pavel Dvorak" <ah772@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> Is there any way to tell these printers not to run the periodic
> cleaning cycle?
>
> They print OK (perfect nozzle check print) until they perform the
> cleaning cycle, which seems to be done every few days regardless
> whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
> the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
> lines printed almost black, etc. After
> turning the printer off and letting it sit overnight, it prints OK again,
> until it performs the "cleaning" and the problem repeats itself.
>
> I am using only Epson inks, so the obvious culprit - the "compatibles" -
> is not the cause of the problem.
>
> So I repeat my question: can I order the printers just to forget about
> their "cleaning"?
>
> Pavel

> whether or not the printer has been used. After this "cleaning"
> the nozzle print gets just awful, with a lot of gaps, the yellow
> lines printed almost black, etc.

It's obvious, the cleaning part isn't working properly. I came across the
same problem, I know it well. If the printer is in guarantee, ok. If not you
could live with it with a bit frustration and a bit more ink consumption.
After you see the nozzles not printing correct, do another cleaning cycle
immediately, not the next day.

--

"pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
> On 22 Feb 2005 02:19:12 GMT, ah772@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Pavel Dvorak)
> wrote:

[...]

> Otherwise, get a Canon and refill the cartridges.

....Until the heads burn out and Canon charge you 95% of the cost of the
printer for a new.