P180 + truepower 2 vs P150 with scythe ninja?

jayb59874

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Just wondering which would be the ideal solution in terms of a quiet/cool system. I am looking at either getting an Antec P180 with a NeoHE or truepower 2(they are ecommended in terms of cable length needed) or I may go for P150 which comes with the 430W NeoHE and with the money I save buying a scythe ninja to passively cool the CPU and maybe even fit a zalman VF-900 to help keep the graphics card cool/quiet.

Here is my proposed setup, any advice is appreciated:
MOBO: A8N-E (I hear that latest P150 are being sent with corrected PSU)
Graphics card: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
RAM: OCZ Platinum 2 x 1 gig 2-3-2-5
Harddrive: WD SE16 250Gb
1 dvd/rw and 1 cdrw

Thanks again

I would recommend the Antec P150 over the P180 because it allows you to suspend two hard drives which reduces noise. The NeoHE is pretty quiet, but older versions did have problems with Asus motherboards in general. However, since February Antec has begun selling revised NeoHE PSUs, but it may still be possible that you may be shipped an older version. If so, simply contact Antec for a replacement, but that will delay your build.

If your choice of CPU is the Athlon 64 3700+, or the X2 3800+ (or slower) you should not have any problems cooling the CPU passively with the Scythe Ninja. However, if you do overclock or uses a faster CPU then it is recommend you use a fan.

FreshMeat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
If the goal is a silent PC, then I would recommend the P180 over the P150. I'm not sure if jaguarskx was implying that the P180 does not have a mechanism for reducing noise and vibration, but the P180 does have rubber grommits for mounting up to 6 hard drives. It also comes with 3 very nice variable speed 120mm case fans.

There is a pretty through review at SilentPcReview

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html

If the goal is a silent PC, then I would recommend the P180 over the P150. I'm not sure if jaguarskx was implying that the P180 does not have a mechanism for reducing noise and vibration, but the P180 does have rubber grommits for mounting up to 6 hard drives. It also comes with 3 very nice variable speed 120mm case fans.

There is a pretty through review at SilentPcReview

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html

The Antec P150 can suspend 2 Hard drives in the HD cage. Doing so will reduce vibrations better than using grommets. However, the limitation is 2 hard drive, in a space that can mount 4 hard drives normally.

The one problem with the Antec P180 is that a number of users have reported that the side panel may bulge out over time.

The Antec P150 isn't spotless though. The main gripe about the P150 is the PSU itself. The NeoHE had problems with Asus motherboards in general. However, Antec has released a new version that should have taken care of the problem back in February,

I'm pretty familiar with SPCR since I was a member of that forum before joining tomshardware forum. Different ID though, since someone here is using the same ID I use at SPCR.

jayb59874

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
It basically seems as though the P150 is perfect for me. It is a lot better value and as long as I get a decent batch then the PSU will be fine. If not the worst is that I will have to send it back. I will never need more than 430 I reckon and the NeoHE are nice and quiet to boot!

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
It basically seems as though the P150 is perfect for me. It is a lot better value and as long as I get a decent batch then the PSU will be fine. If not the worst is that I will have to send it back. I will never need more than 430 I reckon and the NeoHE are nice and quiet to boot!

yes, the P150 is a better value, but th eP180 woul dbe quieter but there are panel, warping problems with the P180.

i would pick the P150. P180 is huge and heavy