Sign in with
Your question

36Gig vs 74Gig Raptor

Last response: in Storage
May 9, 2006 3:21:27 PM

Does anyone has a link for the benchmarks between the two HDs?

More about : 36gig 74gig raptor

May 9, 2006 4:20:09 PM

Damn it I forgot bout that, thanks for reminding me, cheers...

What do you think about setting up RAID 0 on two 36.Gig Raptor? Damn 36Gig raptor still costs a lot!!!
Related resources
May 9, 2006 4:22:56 PM

Quote:
Damn it I forgot bout that, thanks for reminding me, cheers...

What do you think about setting up RAID 0 on two 36.Gig Raptor? Damn 36Gig raptor still costs a lot!!!

I think that's retarded. Set up RAID on a newer high-density drive. Raptors are a waste :o 
Plus the storage space sucks!
May 9, 2006 4:28:12 PM

Ya I was thinking bout buying two 74Gig Raptors and RAID them, but I don't have money to burn hahaha. I got a 250Gig for storage so I don't have to worry bout that. But ya screw raptor's price....
May 9, 2006 4:30:59 PM

Quote:
Ya I was thinking bout buying two 74Gig Raptors and RAID them, but I don't have money to burn hahaha. I got a 250Gig for storage so I don't have to worry bout that. But ya screw raptor's price....

I won't be buying another drive for awhile unless I find an amazing deal at the store or if I get another 7K80. All my money goes to CPU, mobo and video card. I'll be skimming for cheap ass DDR2 next upgrade.
May 9, 2006 4:42:54 PM

I am not a hardcore gamer, so I don't have to upgrade my CPU & Video card to the top. I got 2Gig of Corsair XMS (4 sticks) for bout $140 after MIR (haven't got the rebate yet) pretty good deal.
May 9, 2006 4:45:21 PM

Quote:
I am not a hardcore gamer, so I don't have to upgrade my CPU & Video card to the top. I got 2Gig of Corsair XMS (4 sticks) for bout $140 after MIR (haven't got the rebate yet) pretty good deal.

I'm still not sure if 2gigs is worth it. I am considering 512x2 Aeneon chips and going for 400mhz.
May 9, 2006 5:00:59 PM

That 2Gig is gonna be for Vista :lol:  but that will be months away. Not planning to upgrade my computer for another year or so.
May 9, 2006 5:02:43 PM

Quote:
That 2Gig is gonna be for Vista :lol:  but that will be months away. Not planning to upgrade my computer for another year or so.

yeah screw vista.
May 9, 2006 5:46:14 PM

I will agree with ak47 on this one. I have a RAID0 of 74 raptors. Now don't get me wrong, it's fast, i mean really fast, but for most uses on the desktop that speed change is not noticeable. It's probably not worth it unless you will be doing lots of work with very large, contiguous files (like video editing or data crunching) or, for the seek times, tons of random accesses (like server apps and such). Or, of course, if you just want to go crazy like I did...
May 9, 2006 6:00:24 PM

Nah I won't get 74Gig Raptor, i don't have that type of money to burn. Used enough for my P-D parts already. BROKE!! :roll:
May 9, 2006 6:32:23 PM

Quote:
Nah I won't get 74Gig Raptor, i don't have that type of money to burn. Used enough for my P-D parts already. BROKE!! :roll:

:p  just overclock then.
May 9, 2006 6:52:52 PM

I don't OC my computer, I only OC it to see how far I can push, then I set back to the original setting. Burning a CPU is not fun!!!

But ya I can OC a P4 560 3.6Ghz to 4.21Ghz Max on air!!! That's pretty fun...

And I am going to push my P-D to the max tonight :lol: 
May 9, 2006 6:59:37 PM

Quote:
Da_BAnigga I don't OC my computer

you sound like my lame friend. =0 what fun is that ?
May 9, 2006 7:11:40 PM

Tripod doesn't allow hyperlink, you need to copy and paste

Yes I seen that 7.0+ Ghz system on Cpuz already. Luckily he has enough time to save the validation :p 
May 9, 2006 7:13:04 PM

nice oc. but dual core Intel's can be safe at 6ghz with extreme cooling..its possible.
May 9, 2006 7:17:17 PM

Quote:
extreme cooling..its possible.

That cost money 8O , and that's what I am short on :lol: 

Ya, I oc'ed my old computer to the max with stock cooling. It was pretty stable too, but when I play games it restarts so not really that stable lol

I will post my OC'ed P-D 940 tomorrow and see how far I can go...
May 9, 2006 7:19:07 PM

Quote:
extreme cooling..its possible.

That cost money 8O , and that's what I am short on :lol: 

Ya, I oc'ed my old computer to the max with stock cooling. It was pretty stable too, but when I play games it restarts so not really that stable lol

I will post my OC'ed P-D 940 tomorrow and see how far I can go...
peltier = cheap
homemade phase changer = cheap
:p 
May 9, 2006 7:21:07 PM

Perhaps but time consuming...

By the way, you like my logo? :D 

I believe I should be able to push my P-D to bout 3.8Ghz without problem... since its running at 45C HEHE
May 9, 2006 7:40:36 PM

Quote:
I don't OC my computer, I only OC it to see how far I can push, then I set back to the original setting. Burning a CPU is not fun!!!

Just seeing how far you can push could be enough to poach your processor. So your comment sounds bogus.
May 9, 2006 7:44:18 PM

Quote:
Perhaps but time consuming...

By the way, you like my logo? :D 

I believe I should be able to push my P-D to bout 3.8Ghz without problem... since its running at 45C HEHE

B1 or C1 stepping? You should EASILY hit 4.2...
May 9, 2006 7:46:41 PM

Got rip off its a B1 stepping :evil:  I AM MAD
May 9, 2006 7:48:44 PM

Quote:

Just seeing how far you can push could be enough to poach your processor. So your comment sounds bogus.

Why would I fake bout OC'ing? I mean ya I can use photoshop and edit the numbers easily but only retarded will do that...
May 9, 2006 9:04:34 PM

Quote:

Unless Vista gets pushed back yet another year :?
May 9, 2006 9:24:30 PM

Ya screw MS lol, they have been delayed for a couple times already
May 9, 2006 9:41:32 PM

Quote:

MS makes $h!t software, delays it a lot, and charges you through the roof, but you're pretty much forced to use it because everyone else does and there's no good alternative to it. You might say Linux, but there aren't very many apps that run on it. You might say OSX, but now you can install Windows on a Mac, so what's the purpose. Thank God for Firefox; I hate IE.
May 9, 2006 9:54:43 PM

FOR REAL!!!
May 10, 2006 2:01:46 AM

Quote:

You might say Linux, but there aren't very many apps that run on it.
Don't speak such heresy! linux_0 will own you severely!
But yeah, Linux will run almost anything with emulation, but theres a performance hit. Plus, I just don't know what the fucgadhgk I'm doing in Linux.
May 10, 2006 1:29:15 PM

Oh ya ak I can OC my P-D to 4.56Ghz, its not the max yet... Do you know the safe vcore for P-D? and also I can't unlock the mutiplier in the BIOS I don't see that options no more... did they take that away from the P-D? My old P4 560 can do it easily...

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=92405
May 10, 2006 1:48:55 PM

I don't know about safe vcore, but make sure you don't idle at 60c or higher. What are you using for cooling?
May 10, 2006 2:01:28 PM

I am using a huge ass heat sink that has a 120mm fan in the middle of the heatsink (that's inside the heat sink) I don't know the brand even though I build this computer lol... I didn't buy it.. anyway I tried 1.5vcore and I can push it to 4.56Ghz easily... I can push it a little more for sure but the temp is pretty high if I push it to 4.56Ghz, its around 65C. It will work for anything beside gaming... you know the deal bout the temp. But I just want to know what's the max I can push lol... then I will underclock it... :D 

I got a coolmaster case, the ventilation is pretty good... one 120c in the back, 80mm in front, a vantec duel 80mm PCI fans, a duel 80mm fans on my PSU... sweet stuf....
May 10, 2006 2:55:11 PM

You talking about the Scythe Ninja? That has a 120mm fan in the middle.
But yeah, just make sure you don't hit too high of a temperature. Vcore should only be worried about in that consideration :o 
May 10, 2006 3:25:44 PM

Yes the scythe ninja :lol:  , Maybe 4.56Ghz won't be stable after all. I haven't try to play any games yet with that OC. I believe it should be very stable 4.20Ghz or below. Cheers... loving Pentium D, oh by the way I found out that the Pentium D 9xx (not sure bout the rest) has their mutiplier lock, you can't no unlock them only the EE edition is unlockable.
May 10, 2006 3:28:47 PM

oh dude if you have a scythe ninja buy a high-powered 120mm fan and hit 4.7
May 10, 2006 3:36:52 PM

The Scythe Ninja is equiped with a 120mm fan, I can push it more than 4.56Ghz at this moment. Just wanted to make sure what's the safe vcore, since 1.5 can hit more than 4.56Ghz if I turn my vantec duel 80mm PCI card to the max it will help out ventilation but I want it quiet so its running at the lowest speed. But ya I am pretty suprised that the P-D is a much better OC'er than the P4 prescott.
May 10, 2006 3:38:37 PM

Quote:
The Scythe Ninja is equiped with a 120mm fan, I can push it more than 4.56Ghz at this moment. Just wanted to make sure what's the safe vcore, since 1.5 can hit more than 4.56Ghz if I turn my vantec duel 80mm PCI card to the max it will help out ventilation but I want it quiet so its running at the lowest speed. But ya I am pretty suprised that the P-D is a much better OC'er than the P4 prescott.

why? 65nm..
May 10, 2006 3:41:37 PM

Ya I know, but wish mine is a 95 TDP too :evil: 
!