Low-end pc recommendations

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Hello, in a forum where everyone is asking for suggestions about gaming rigs, I couldn't find much for a budget low-end pc recommendations.

I need to build a pc for some relatives - all they would use it for is web browsing and Email. Just because I have built Intel based PCs in the past, I would try to stick with Intel - maybe a celeron ~1.7GHz or low end P4 would suffice.
I did think of buying a Dell, but the cheapest I could get there was about $350 (after shipping/taxes). Since these folks already have a PATA HD (7200rmp) and a case (ATX), PSU (350W) and monitor/keyb/mouse, all I need to really buy is a mobo (with integrated graphics/sound), CPU (celeron or a low end P4), stock cooler/HS and 512MB RAM. Their older PC has a retail Win2K OS, so it can be transferred over to this PC. I'm fairly sure that I should be able to find components for under $350 (cheapest at Dell) - I just don't know which one to pick! The mobo doesn't need anything great -don't need SATA support or RAID support. I would like to stick with Intel chipset though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hello, in a forum where everyone is asking for suggestions about gaming rigs, I couldn't find much for a budget low-end pc recommendations.

I need to build a pc for some relatives - all they would use it for is web browsing and Email. Just because I have built Intel based PCs in the past, I would try to stick with Intel - maybe a celeron ~1.7GHz or low end P4 would suffice.
I did think of buying a Dell, but the cheapest I could get there was about $350 (after shipping/taxes). Since these folks already have a PATA HD (7200rmp) and a case (ATX), PSU (350W) and monitor/keyb/mouse, all I need to really buy is a mobo (with integrated graphics/sound), CPU (celeron or a low end P4), stock cooler/HS and 512MB RAM. Their older PC has a retail Win2K OS, so it can be transferred over to this PC. I'm fairly sure that I should be able to find components for under $350 (cheapest at Dell) - I just don't know which one to pick! The mobo doesn't need anything great -don't need SATA support or RAID support. I would like to stick with Intel chipset though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Try this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121281
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112208
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145026
Or 2x the last one for a gig.
Cheers!

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I don't know why you'd want to stick with an intel chipset. ATI and Nvidia onboard solutions are FAR better. Both are priced pretty darn good, too. Personally, I would go with a Sempron Geforce 6100/410. Processor and Motherboard combined will run you $150 or so, reuse the other components, and you can even play DOOM3 if you want to.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't know why you'd want to stick with an intel chipset. ATI and Nvidia onboard solutions are FAR better. Both are priced pretty darn good, too. Personally, I would go with a Sempron Geforce 6100/410. Processor and Motherboard combined will run you $150 or so, reuse the other components, and you can even play DOOM3 if you want to.
Intel chipsets are extremely stable. They are also a guaranteed build. They almost never fail, create errors, fail to POST etc. Intel chipsets are perfect for this situation. Also, playing doom3 on a 6100? You can't possibly be serious.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'd really reccommend making the extra stretch to 1GB RAM, not that much more expensive and will make your PC run real nice in RAM-hungry Windows environment.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Thank you all for your suggestions! ak47is1337, your recommendations look to be the most cost-effective.
I will get the items recommended - I did have one question though. The board is a micro-ATX - what would I need to get this to fit in their existing case (ATX)? Or would it fit without a problem? I've not used a micro-ATX board in the past and hence the question.
Thanks!

(The ~$350 suggestion by gambit6259 would probably be a bit of an overkill for this purpose though)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Thank you all for your suggestions! ak47is1337, your recommendations look to be the most cost-effective.
I will get the items recommended - I did have one question though. The board is a micro-ATX - what would I need to get this to fit in their existing case (ATX)? Or would it fit without a problem? I've not used a micro-ATX board in the past and hence the question.
Thanks!

(The ~$350 suggestion by gambit6259 would probably be a bit of an overkill for this purpose though)

All ATX case can accept microATX boards without modification.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Thank you shadowduck! That solves the problem :)
angry_ducky, clicking on the URL gives me the "Your saved shopping cart is empty." message :(