Sign in with
Your question

Think I have finally decided on what to order....opinions?

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2006 4:41:33 PM

Hi there, after a couple of weeks trawling the boards and writing various posts I think I am finally ready to place my order, just wanted to get a final opinion before I click that 'buy' button.

I am aiming for a quiet, powerful gaming pc.....

Case and PSU: Antec P150 with the NeoHE 430W that comes with it

MOBO: Asus A8R-MVP

GPU: Sapphire X1800XT 256Mb card

HD: WD SE16250WS This is their 250Gb with 16Mb buffer

RAM: OCZ Platinum 2 x 1Gb sticks, latency, 2-3-2-5

CPU: AMD 3700+ San Diego Core

Hoping to get a scythe ninja to passively cool the CPU and probably get an Arctic cooling Excelero(think that is spelt incorrectly) X2 to cool the graphics card as I hear that stock can get very noisy. Probably going to buy a couple of quiet 92mm fans for the front of the case in order to create decent airflow but definately want to minimize noise.

Dvd and cd drives are undecided but I will chose anything decent to match the case.

Also would like suggestions for a decent 19" monitor for gaming, ie low response time, decent contrast ratio, DVI input and a low, low price if possible.

Any suggestions and advice are welcome but think this is how I am going to go
May 9, 2006 5:14:54 PM

Looking at your post, it seems that noise is a factor in your build. I would DEFINATELY recommend moving to 120mm fans. HUGE difference in noise levels and you are right on about changing the 1800's fan. Looks like a pretty good build overall!
May 9, 2006 5:34:36 PM

u try getting a Dual Core Cpu

:D 

it will be wort it
Related resources
May 9, 2006 6:15:06 PM

Especially with Conroe around the corner and AM2 already available I wouldn't be paying top whack right now for a single core CPU. 939 dual-core is the minimum now, really, if you want it to be 'current' for a long time.
May 9, 2006 6:26:32 PM

Quote:
Looking at your post, it seems that noise is a factor in your build. I would DEFINATELY recommend moving to 120mm fans.

The OP doesn't have any choice in the matter. The two front intakes do not accomodate anything larger than 92mm fans.
May 9, 2006 6:34:01 PM

I would just get a 3000+ then wait til get enough cash and buy a dual Core CPU.
May 9, 2006 6:43:08 PM

Quote:
Looking at your post, it seems that noise is a factor in your build. I would DEFINATELY recommend moving to 120mm fans.

The OP doesn't have any choice in the matter. The two front intakes do not accomodate anything larger than 92mm fans.

What? You recommend a different case? Oh, ok.....
May 9, 2006 6:48:49 PM

seriously consider going dual core it is an extra few $$$ but definatly an investment if it is too much then wait until AM2 comes out then hopefully prices of S939 will fall but for modern computing dual core is an absolute must have!
May 9, 2006 6:50:23 PM

The only reason I am going for the 3700+ is that in the UK at least it seems to be the best value for money. You can pick up a 3700+ for around 200 US dollars.

The X2 3800+ is approx 300 dollars in the UK and from what I hear for gaming it is not as good as the 3700.

The 3000+ venice is about 125 dollars and the 3200+ venice is around 150 dollars but they both come with the smaller L2 cache. For some odd reason the 3500+ is the same price as the 3700+ but a lower clock speed and less cache together....
May 9, 2006 7:05:50 PM

Dude check my location, I work in proper money as well :wink:

What site are you ordering from?
May 9, 2006 7:07:29 PM

Lol just seen that, I am ordering from ebuyer, they seem to have really decent prices atm. Retail 3700+ is 133 pounds vs 200 for the x2 3800+...
May 9, 2006 7:20:05 PM

if your still wanting opinions then how can yoube decided finally. geez man get a system you want not someone elses.
May 9, 2006 7:29:08 PM

I am pretty happy with what I have chosen however if people had specific experience of assembling the stuff I described they could have a word of advice. Something like, be careful if you use that MOBO with that graphics card as you prob won't have enough space to fit an acelero aftermarket GPU because I didn't.

I fail to see how you can claim to be Captain Charisma when the basic rules are generally politeness and if you have nothing good to say then do not say it. Or did I already mention politeness......
May 9, 2006 7:36:33 PM

CaptainCharisma, your bein an @ss. He wants advice, and that's what people round here give, not useless rude comments (now that Mike's disappeared hehe)

Just get whatever's good value on eBuyer at the moment, it's invariably the cheapest, unless people have a sale on. Have a look at SavaStore, but also Dabs...they have the best sales
!