Windows 7 stuck at loading screen

chimaera15

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I rebooted my PC after installing the latest version of iTunes, and upon reboot I couldn't get past the motherboard splash screen. I tried removing each stick of RAM individually, I tried removing the battery, but finally it was clearing the CMOS which helped me at least get past the mobo splash screen (after pulling out all of the USB devices plugged in otherwise it would also freeze), but now it gets stuck on the Windows 7 loading screen.

I tried entering the Windows 7 repair function, but it freezes on a black screen (I waited about 20 minutes).

I tried booting into safe mode, but it gets stuck while loading this file: AVGIDSEH.sys

Now since I can't even boot into windows to try to do any kind of diagnosis, I figured I would create a USB drive portable version of Windows 7.

My question is, if I manage to boot into my portable Windows, what kind of tests should I run?

Finally one last question, typically when Windows 7 gets stuck at loading is it hardware related or would a complete re-install fix the issue? At this point I just need to get it back and running I don't care about losing my settings and programs.