New Build ~1500

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I'll be building a new computer in a couple weeks and have been out of the computer review maket for a couple months. I'm looking for a gaming computer with enough memory and video power to handle the new MMOs w/o system lag. Budget is around 1500.

I'm listening. Your suggestions are appreciated greatly.

Somban

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Opteron 165-$327.00
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D-$122.00
G.Skill Extream Ram DDR500-$174.99
X1900XT-$450.00
Case and PSU-$250.00
WD 250GB HDD-$90.00
NEC DVD Burner-$40.00

This Rig will work good at stock but is made for Overclocking. That is a very powerful video card. If you spent less on the case and PSU by getting the Aspire Superalien w/500Watt PSU for 140 bucks you could even afford to put in watercooling and make a sweet rig. This is assuming that you already have a monitor.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Opteron 165-$327.00
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D-$122.00
G.Skill Extream Ram DDR500-$174.99
X1900XT-$450.00
Case and PSU-$250.00
WD 250GB HDD-$90.00
NEC DVD Burner-$40.00

This Rig will work good at stock but is made for Overclocking. That is a very powerful video card. If you spent less on the case and PSU by getting the Aspire Superalien w/500Watt PSU for 140 bucks you could even afford to put in watercooling and make a sweet rig. This is assuming that you already have a monitor.

If he only wants to play MMOs which are not very graphically intensive, you can get by with a lesser video card like a 7900GT. The DFI board is one of the best, and rocks for overclocking. I would get the Antec P180 case, and a Antec Truepower II 550W PSU.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Please, pretty please, look at the other suggestions that people have made on comps around this price. Therefore, all of those people that are thinking about asking, look around before you do. You know, it just might supprise you. You might not need to!

DDay

Also, I agree with shadow. Though I would get the sonata 2. But I'm a spend thrift (best deal for the money, and great quality is the sonata 2).

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I haven't ugraded for a quite a while, but I do have...

P4 2.8c
msi neo2-fisr
1G ballstix 500mhz
9800pro
audigy 2
adeptec scsi controller with 4 7200 drives in raid 0
2100fp 20inch flatpanel monitor
NEC DVD burner
LiteOn CD burner

I should have posted this in my original post. I can move some of these components over to the new computer, but would like to keep the one I have now funcitonal. The monitor and sound card will be moved.

I'm pretty set on the DFI motherboard. Why the G.Skill memory? Perhaps it carrys high overclocking potential? Oh, and the 250GB HD... Wouldn't a smaller drive have lower seek times? Like an 80gb. I've never been one to take the plunge on a 450 video card... do you think now is a good time in the market to do that?

Oh, and what company X1900XT should I be looking at. Its never mattered that much in the past... should it now?

Why "Opteron 165-$327.00" when I could go with that new Intel dual core that runs stable at 4.1ghz? I realize that it is now all about clock speed, but that is quite a difference and a whole lot cheaper.

Somban

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I haven't ugraded for a quite a while, but I do have...

P4 2.8c
msi neo2-fisr
1G ballstix 500mhz
9800pro
audigy 2
adeptec scsi controller with 4 7200 drives in raid 0
2100fp 20inch flatpanel monitor
NEC DVD burner
LiteOn CD burner

I should have posted this in my original post. I can move some of these components over to the new computer, but would like to keep the one I have now funcitonal. The monitor and sound card will be moved.

I'm pretty set on the DFI motherboard. Why the G.Skill memory? Perhaps it carrys high overclocking potential? Oh, and the 250GB HD... Wouldn't a smaller drive have lower seek times? Like an 80gb. I've never been one to take the plunge on a 450 video card... do you think now is a good time in the market to do that?

Oh, and what company X1900XT should I be looking at. Its never mattered that much in the past... should it now?

Why "Opteron 165-$327.00" when I could go with that new Intel dual core that runs stable at 4.1ghz? I realize that it is now all about clock speed, but that is quite a difference and a whole lot cheaper.

Somban

Simple- there is NO guarantee you can take a D 820 (2.8) and make it run at 4.1. This also generates a crapload of heat at the D 820 is basically 2 Prescot core CPUs on one chip. The Opteron is a server grade CPU made to run 24/7 while generating MUCH less heat. Opterons are designed to run 24/7/365, the D 820 is not. Even at 4.1GHz your D820 suffers that it is a really crappy chip. Tom did some benchmarks can an FX-60 still beats it. Lucky for you, the Opteron 165 can get to FX-60 levels and it does not generate heat. The stock cooler that comes with the Opteron is beefy too.

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions Shadowduck. I don't really need my computer to be running 24/7/365. I'm not folding or anything. I would basically want it to run 6 hours for the longest stretch. Sadly, my existing HS won't be able to be tranfered over to the 775 chipset. I've had great luck with the thermalright ones in the past though. But then again... theres $50 on a hs.

Anyone else care to weigh in on the Opty vs. D805? After I decide on a processor, I'll narrow down the motherboards and the rest is history.

Oh, and I have been reading other posts as you suggested Dday. I just posted this for added suggestions and focused support. I usually do about 2 weeks of reviews, 3 to 4 hours a day (yeah, that much time at work), before I buy anything. I'll do my research... just wanted to be pointed in the right direction by some people that are on top of things.

Somban

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
the opty can handle very good oc's (another benefit of the server grade chip and heat handling) and the retail cooler it comes w/ is great. Once you buy the new cooler for that 805, you are above $200 U.S. (assuming price ~the Zalman) This defeats the "cheap" level it is at. The opty uses much less power, runs quieter and cooler so you need less case size and psu output. Also just more efficient in dual core and 64 bit implementation than the 805.

that 805 is cool though, and bragging rights w/ a 4+Ghz chip is still nice... but I would go for the better quality, not the raw speed. JMO

for the 1900, all powercolor retail cards have lifetime warranty. Saphire and HIS have some factory oc'd ones. I would say one of those. ATI themselves make good ones but have a premium over others w/ less warranty. (my last 9700pro was built by ATI and never had an issue in 3+ years)

Hope that helps

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The Opty is best for overclocking capabilities, although it may be bested in some scenarios by the D805. As you stated though, you are a beginning overclocker, so you may find the maximum results that Tom's got on this CPU to be a little out of your reach. Also bear in mind that they used water-cooling to unlock the full OC capabilities of the CPU. If you're blanching at $50 for a good air-cooler, then the D805 is not for you. Stick to the Opteron. Much easier to overclock, and a lot more performance out of the box.

-J

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
The Opty is best for overclocking capabilities, although it may be bested in some scenarios by the D805. As you stated though, you are a beginning overclocker, so you may find the maximum results that Tom's got on this CPU to be a little out of your reach. Also bear in mind that they used water-cooling to unlock the full OC capabilities of the CPU. If you're blanching at $50 for a good air-cooler, then the D805 is not for you. Stick to the Opteron. Much easier to overclock, and a lot more performance out of the box.

-J

Pretty much

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006

-J

Pretty much