voip hosting

Last response: in Networking
November 17, 2004 1:25:26 PM

Have sense in the future the business of the "voip hosting"
or not? Could be the same of a web server hosting business?

How do you see it?

thanks

More about : voip hosting

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 11:08:20 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:25:26 +0100, Voiper wrote:

> Have sense in the future the business of the "voip hosting" or not? Could
> be the same of a web server hosting business?
The problem IMO is that web hosting mostly uses very little bandwidth
whereas voIP will use a lot of it if it is active at all. If only a few
calls per day, no propblem.

Web hosting used to be a good small business. Now it's mostly done by huge
companies for $5/year.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 3:42:52 PM

Hello,

>>Have sense in the future the business of the "voip hosting" or not? Could
>>be the same of a web server hosting business?
>
> The problem IMO is that web hosting mostly uses very little bandwidth
> whereas voIP will use a lot of it if it is active at all. If only a few
> calls per day, no propblem.
Not entirely true. In most cases VoIP softswitch can only take care of
the call signaling, so the RTP stream will go directly between the
customer's IP phone and the remote GW which belongs to your termination
provider. So on the side of softswitch/billing the bandwidth requirements
are minimal: if the customer from Czech Republic makes a call to
Australia, and your softswitch is in New York - only few small UDP packets
will travel CZ<->US and US<->AU,a nd the voice stream will go CZ<->AU.
There are several companies which provide "hosted softswitch/billing"
services for PortaSwitch (www.portaone.com) and I am sure there are some
other solutions available.

> Web hosting used to be a good small business. Now it's mostly done by huge
> companies for $5/year.
In general the VoIP solution hosting is more expensive:-) at least right now.

WBR, Andrew
--
Andrew Zhilenko
Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

> Not entirely true. In most cases VoIP softswitch can only take care of
> the call signaling, so the RTP stream will go directly between the

Good point!
!