CD-RW and DVD-RW question

I know that RWs are rewritable, and I normally format them and use them as
large floppys to keep temporary stuff, or accumulate enough to burn on to a
CD-R or DVD-R. What I am curious about, but have never seen discussed is: Is
it pussible to use an UNformatted CD/DVD-RW as a conventional CD/DVD-R, then
erase or delete the entire disk when the stored data is no longer needed, or
are they only useful and practical as packet-writing (formatted) media? I
realize they are invariably slower than Rs, but the erasable quality, if
available, would make up for this.

Thanks for any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about question

    What is preventing you from burning an unformatted disk to
    see what happens, especially since you know that you can
    erase it if you don't like what happens? Or maybe you
    *don't* know that? As an aside, I caution you to be
    careful about what's being stored on packet-written media,
    as the format is unreliable at best. Note also that CD and
    DVD-Rs may be burned more than once, but until they are
    finalized or "closed" might not be readable in other
    devices.

    Yes a CD-R/W can be used as a CD-R. However, just as you mentioned, you
    can't delete individual files from a CD-R/W burned that way you can only
    erase the entire disk.

    Alex Nichol's has a great primer here on CD Burning
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
    | I know that RWs are rewritable, and I normally format them and use them as
    | large floppys to keep temporary stuff, or accumulate enough to burn on to
    | CD-R or DVD-R. What I am curious about, but have never seen discussed is:
    Is
    | it pussible to use an UNformatted CD/DVD-RW as a conventional CD/DVD-R,
    then
    | erase or delete the entire disk when the stored data is no longer needed,
    or
    | are they only useful and practical as packet-writing (formatted) media? I
    | realize they are invariably slower than Rs, but the erasable quality, if
    | available, would make up for this.
    |
    | Thanks for any help.

    Yes, as H.Ohrn wrote. That's how I use them when transporting files too big
    to fit on floppy (movies, MP3s etc) somewhere where there is no net
    available (or on modem)

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I know that RWs are rewritable, and I normally format them and use them as
    > large floppys to keep temporary stuff, or accumulate enough to burn on to
    > CD-R or DVD-R. What I am curious about, but have never seen discussed is:
    Is
    > it pussible to use an UNformatted CD/DVD-RW as a conventional CD/DVD-R,
    then
    > erase or delete the entire disk when the stored data is no longer needed,
    or
    > are they only useful and practical as packet-writing (formatted) media? I
    > realize they are invariably slower than Rs, but the erasable quality, if
    > available, would make up for this.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

DVD RW CD-Rom DVD Writers Windows XP