Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Socket 754 vs Socket 939

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 9, 2006 7:35:35 PM

Someone I know is looking to sell their Socket 754 Motherboard & AMD 64 3200+ for a fairly reasonable price.

I've been looking at improved my home theatre setup (streaming web content and what not) and it seems like a fairly decent CPU and what not.

Main question is are their noticeable (if any) differences in the speed of a Socket 754 AMD 64 3200+ and a Socket 939, if so any benchmarks on hand?

Thanks.

More about : socket 754 socket 939

May 9, 2006 8:30:14 PM

Well, I already have a solid system (3.2ghz P4) for now, but I figure if I can get a AMD 3200+ 64 for cheap, may as well go for it :) 
May 9, 2006 8:35:26 PM

how much are u getting it for? the difference between the p4 and 3200 will be very little
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 9, 2006 8:43:31 PM

Much better upgrade path with 939.

754 was replaced ages ago, 939 only just. And last P3s were faster than first P4s, so perhaps getting a 939 might have better performance than early AM2?
May 9, 2006 8:46:45 PM

If it's a good price then go for it. You won't be disappointed. There remain some upgrades for that as well. Newegg is offloading all their socket 754s. I recently built a PC with spare parts and am typing this on a Linux box consisting of a socket 754 3700+. I'd forgotten how zippy this CPU is. Tomorrow I'll be upgrading my sister's Athlon XP-2100 to a 754 Athlon 64 3200+ just like the one you're looking at. She's gonna be real pleased I think. She'd better be!
May 9, 2006 8:58:00 PM

If you are an audio video guy/girl and you are just using this for a spare PVR why go to 939? Unless you really need the speed but most encoding can be increased by get a video card that assit the encoder card like ATI cards. X850 pro AGP and PCI-E.
May 9, 2006 10:45:49 PM

Quote:
Someone I know is looking to sell their Socket 754 Motherboard & AMD 64 3200+ for a fairly reasonable price.

I've been looking at improved my home theatre setup (streaming web content and what not) and it seems like a fairly decent CPU and what not.

Main question is are their noticeable (if any) differences in the speed of a Socket 754 AMD 64 3200+ and a Socket 939, if so any benchmarks on hand?

Thanks.

You will notice nothing. Anyway the 3200+ s754 is faster than the 3200+ s939, just becouse the numbering is different.
The lowest model for s754 is 2800+ at 1.8GHz, while the 3000+ is same clocked for s939.
Anyway the s939 has a better on-die memory controller and a better HTT, but they are not doing much for the overal system performace as the higher freqfency does.
The s939 has 128bit DDR or dual channel DDR(up to 6.4GB/s teoretical bandwidth) controller, delivering double of the bandwidth(3.2GB/s teoretical) of the 64bit of the s754. But the singlecore K8 is not starving from memory bandwidth, it is starving from the latencies.
The HTT on the s939 is 1GHz fullduplex delivering up to 8GB/s total teoretical bandwidth, while the s754 has 800MHz fullduplex HTT or up to 6.4GB/s. This higher HTT clock is not delivering any performance to the s939 CPU.
There are differences between the models numbered same for both the s939 and the s754, depends on the cores.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2006 11:37:31 PM

Not so much a better upgrade path, but the posibillity of dual cores and faster cpus so why bother with 754 i wonder? 939 pays off.

Quote:
Performance wise, there is little or no difference. I would get the 939, because it will last longer, and has a much better upgrade path.

If you're buying 754 for couple of months before a big system upgrade, then it's OK. If you want your system to last, then 939 is a better path.
May 9, 2006 11:46:00 PM

ive got a 754 3700+ and love it... make sure u find out whther its a clawhammer or not... cause they are hot, be prepared to get an aftermarket cooler... what r u paying for the cpu/mobo combo? if its >100 id say go for it
May 10, 2006 12:18:24 AM

Quote:
Not so much a better upgrade path, but the posibillity of dual cores and faster cpus so why bother with 754 i wonder? 939 pays off.

Performance wise, there is little or no difference. I would get the 939, because it will last longer, and has a much better upgrade path.

If you're buying 754 for couple of months before a big system upgrade, then it's OK. If you want your system to last, then 939 is a better path.


Well yeah! But that's not what this thread is about. A good deal on a socket 754 makes it aa worth while purchase for a second PC if the deal really is a good deal. RTFB. Read the board.
May 10, 2006 2:14:11 AM

IE yes. Firefox, no.
May 10, 2006 2:42:51 AM

Quote:
Someone I know is looking to sell their Socket 754 Motherboard & AMD 64 3200+ for a fairly reasonable price.

I've been looking at improved my home theatre setup (streaming web content and what not) and it seems like a fairly decent CPU and what not.

Main question is are their noticeable (if any) differences in the speed of a Socket 754 AMD 64 3200+ and a Socket 939, if so any benchmarks on hand?

Thanks.

Quote:
You will notice nothing. Anyway the 3200+ s754 is faster than the 3200+ s939, just becouse the numbering is different.

The lowest model for s754 is 2800+ at 1.8GHz, while the 3000+ is same clocked for s939.
Anyway the s939 has a better on-die memory controller and a better HTT, but they are not doing much for the overal system performace as the higher freqfency does.
The s939 has 128bit DDR or dual channel DDR(up to 6.4GB/s teoretical bandwidth) controller, delivering double of the bandwidth(3.2GB/s teoretical) of the 64bit of the s754. But the singlecore K8 is not starving from memory bandwidth, it is starving from the latencies.
The HTT on the s939 is 1GHz fullduplex delivering up to 8GB/s total teoretical bandwidth, while the s754 has 800MHz fullduplex HTT or up to 6.4GB/s. This higher HTT clock is not delivering any performance to the s939 CPU.
There are differences between the models numbered same for both the s939 and the s754, depends on the cores.



How can hte s754 be faster than the s939. Is it just because iut has a higher clock speed? It cant be.
May 10, 2006 2:53:39 AM

Quote:
How can hte s754 be faster than the s939. Is it just because iut has a higher clock speed? It cant be.


Why not? Same architecture. Only real difference is single VS dual channel memory access. Of the two 754 CPUs I have (3700+ & 3200+), both have a full 1MB of L2 cache. My 3700+ runs at 2.4GHz. It is definitely and noticeably faster than my two boys' PCs with 939 3500s running at 2.2GHz and 512KB L2 cache. The 939 3700 also runs at 2.2GHz but has 1MB of L2 cache. I'd say that the 2.4GHz w/1MB 754 is definitely faster than a 2.2GHz w/1MB 939.
May 10, 2006 3:05:05 AM

754 single channel memory transfer
939 dual channel memory transfer
Kinda works like Hyper-Threading or like Hyper-Transport
Thu kwika thu better :twisted:
May 10, 2006 3:53:06 AM

I want to get the DFI Lanparty UT RDX200 CF-DR ATI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard For my Opteron 170 overclocked @ 2.8Ghz so sticking with 939 will give you mindblistering Performance compared in to all Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Duo Extreme Models and all FX-"xx" Models
May 10, 2006 6:56:16 AM

Quote:
I want to get the DFI Lanparty UT RDX200 CF-DR ATI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard For my Opteron 170 overclocked @ 2.8Ghz so sticking with 939 will give you mindblistering Performance compared in to all Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Duo Extreme Models and all FX-"xx" Models


How did you overclock your Opteron without a motherboard?


(oh, and Opty 939 socket CPUs are great now for '"buy 'em cheap and OC 'em til' they're quickest" kinda people, but Core 2 is going to be faster than any 939 socket CPUs)
!