quietest fans (8-14dB) (10-64cfm)

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Hi, I'm building a 3.8Ghz OC machine and I want it silent... I'm not asking for advice (but I always am thankful to hear ideas). I'm just here to share what I found... People at a different thread helped me a lot, so I'd appreciate to return the help... 'pay it forward' :D

The quietest fan numbers 'advertised' online are...

8dB, 10cfm - SilenX 60mm

8.7dB, 33cfm - Scythe 120mm 800rpm

9dB, 20cfm - SilenX 92mm
9dB, 18cfm - SilenX 80mm
9dB, 18cfm - Sharkoon Eagle 1000, 80mm

11dB, 48cfm - SilenX 120mm
11dB, 28cfm - SilenX 92mm
11dB, 22cfm - SilenX 80mm

12dB, 14cfm - SilenX 60mm

the next loudness is 14dB, and there are a lot of SilenX (64cfm) and other brand fans at that level.

http://www.silenx.com/fan_pro_74.asp is the best link for all their fans. the Scythe, Sharkoon, and "14db" are easy to find with google.

I can say that the Scythe 8.7dB is silent, from 3-4 feet away, with a ~0dB ambient. If the ambient has any sound, then it's silent at much closer distances.
I'll soon have the SilenX 9dB and 8dB and be able to test them..

wishes for your peace and freedom to explore :)
Jon
my site
my system being built so far...

One post is fine, thank you very much.

4 of the same post is f**king SPAM.

Forget what the specs says. You need detailed accoustic reviews of fans in a controlled test environment.

Go to:

www.SPCR.com

There is a "Recommended Section" that will give you some of the things you need.

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
ouch, sorry about that all, for the multiple posts. i tried to make one post, and kept getting an error, so i clicked 'back' and tied again until it went through.

on a side-note... all the spam everywhere bothers me too, but let's not be so quick to accuse and curse at each other :( i took some of my time to try to return help i got from others, so please have some heart. i hope i can delete the multiples.. (administrator, help please with this? the forums won't let me in the other posts)

btw, the link you gave goes to a spam site (they are everywhere)... http://www.silentpcreview.com/ you need the full name. I wish they (or anyone) had a big list of fans and their db and cfm.. heck I'd do it myself for the fans i already have, just to add some reliable truth to the web, but i'm assuming the tools to measure the db and cfm cost a bit.

Yep, So far, i've accumulated some stock fans, some Vantec, SilenX, Scythe. I take the advertised dB and CFM as rough ideas, altered by a few %. In the end, I go by my ears and the airflow against my hand.

So far, the Scythe 800rpm seems the best for complete quiet. The SilenX 120mm (rated 11db) are quiet, but when my room is silent, i can still hear a very faint hum. I want total silence.

djvibes2007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
"So far, the Scythe 800rpm seems the best for complete quiet. The SilenX 120mm (rated 11db) are quiet, but when my room is silent, i can still hear a very faint hum. I want total silence."

you will need a water cooled machine for this - i dont mind a small noise, the advantage with air system for me is its easy to change different heatsinks, color fans etc..

oops, just realise this thread is ancient :D