Athlon XP 2400 in a notebook, will it work?

daryl80

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Hi, a friend of mine old notebook (not so old but for him) has an Athlon XP-M 2600, and i have a desktop PC with an Athlon XP 2400. I would like to ask him if we can exchange the processors (i always liked to have a XP-M) but first i like to know if it's really possible. Here are some things you should know:

* I have an MSI K7N2 Delta2 FSR Motherboard (it has NForce2) so i guess im ready for the mobile.

* The notebook battery is dead and he will not replace it, so we dont have to care about battery life. But we have to look at power supply and heat dissipation.

Any ideas on this? Tnx!

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Different default voltages. The notebook probably wont support the increased voltages of the XP and you might need to mod it into an XP-M in order for the mobo to cope.

The reduced voltage would probably mean a lower speed (underclocking) but it should *work*, assuming the CPU is actually accessable and removable

The 2400 will prolly overheat in the system, and the 2600m might not even work on your Desktop Mobo (some take it some dont).

Hi, a friend of mine old notebook (not so old but for him) has an Athlon XP-M 2600, and i have a desktop PC with an Athlon XP 2400. I would like to ask him if we can exchange the processors (i always liked to have a XP-M) but first i like to know if it's really possible. Here are some things you should know:

* I have an MSI K7N2 Delta2 FSR Motherboard (it has NForce2) so i guess im ready for the mobile.

* The notebook battery is dead and he will not replace it, so we dont have to care about battery life. But we have to look at power supply and heat dissipation.

Any ideas on this? Tnx!