I’ve put together the following system

Gbyte 8N-Sli
Intel Pentium-D 805 2.6Ghz
Corsair DDR2 twin 1gb pc540
120gb seagate sata2 st312081
256mb xfx 7600gt pci-e
500w blue storm psu
enermax black tower case

The problem am having is the system randomly resets in Windows XP and even when using norton ghost 9 from the bootup disk, the system also randomly freezes loading windows.

I have so far done the following

Used memtest86 to verify the memory > tested ok after 6 hours loop test
Used segates tools to verify the hard disk isn’t failing > tested OK

Put the following into another computer to test
Hard disk, graphics card and PSU all tested OK

and now just tonight after the 100th restart am now getting no post at all no beeps just 4 fans comming on and a power light.

so i now am thinking to RMA the motherboard as it looks like thats the problem Correct?

thanks

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I would definitely be leaning towards a bad motherbaord too. You might just want to make sure that your processor isn't over heating too just to rule it out.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I never heard of your PSU.
When it crashs do you have to use the button on the PSU to restart the board?
If so try a real PSU.

If not try:
Use 1 stick of ram,vidio card and a HD.
Restset the bios and reboot into bios and let it run for 30 mins while keeping an eye on temps and voltage. If all is good boot into the OS...if it crashs try the other stick of ram. Also try different slots.

Z

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I never heard of your PSU.
When it crashs do you have to use the button on the PSU to restart the board?
If so try a real PSU.

If not try:
Use 1 stick of ram,vidio card and a HD.
Restset the bios and reboot into bios and let it run for 30 mins while keeping an eye on temps and voltage. If all is good boot into the OS...if it crashs try the other stick of ram. Also try different slots.

You can also try the board "naked"...no gfx card,ram and all drives disconnected.
If you get no beeps the MB is dead.

Z

Snakegb

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Thanks for the comments ,

Ive sorted it out with the shop today

Motherboard, CPU & memory have been RMA

I did try the board with only the CPU in and i get beeps for no memory but as soon as i put any of the memory sticks in nothing.

anyway sorted now

thanks again all :)

BubbaJon

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
My impression of the board is that the nVidia chipset has some very poor cooling. I have an aux fan on mine and it still runs hotter than anything I've ever had before. Now if I could even get mine to install XP I'd be happy - so be glad you got past installing Windows. I may just have to bite the bullet and scrap this MB - vendors are barely worth trying to get something returned.
regards,
Jon