Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2006 2:43:14 AM

eVGA 133-K8-NF41
Antec TruepowerII 550
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400
WD Caviar 250GB Sata II
Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
XFX 7600GT 256MB

So I put this computer together about a week ago and everything was working fine. Yesterday I replaced my DVDR with my brother's CDRW to burn a CD, I had done this once before with no problems. This time after I swapped the drives and turned the power back on things ran fine for about 5 minutes and then the screen went black. I jiggled my monitor cable, but that wasn't it so I decided to reboot the system. I hit the power on the case but nothing happened, the computer refused to turn off. I tried holding the button for a few seconds to force the computer to restart, but to no avail. I had to turn the power off on the back of the PSU to get the thing to shut off. To my surprise once I turned the PSU back on the computer came back on also, but still no feedback from the monitor. The computer still won't turn off, and automatically powers up (Fans, lights, etc) as soon as power is being fed to the PSU at all regardless of the fact that I haven't hit the power button on the case. My post code readout on my motherboard says FF, which means that everything should be going fine (right?). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

More about : computer turn

May 11, 2006 8:24:20 PM

The automatic power-up is probably a BIOS setting for automatically rebooting when power goes out while it was on. Usually in power management, I think. So, you're stuck with that until you can get a display so you can see the BIOS setup.

As for the rest, Hmmm... Normal troubleshooting time. Try another monitor if you can, try a cmos reset (that may solve the auto-reboot problem as well), swap video cards if possible, etc.

I doubt switching the optical drives had anything to do with it, but swap it back (or leave it unplugged completely for testing) just in case.

Mike.
!