Realplayer and Cingular's GPRS network

Has anyone got Realplayer to work on Cingular's GPRS network? Best I can
tell, Cingular doesn't pass UDP traffic. To make matters worse, nobody
in their customer service seems to know what a proxy is much less the
settings for Realplayer. I'm using a Nokia 6620 that came with
Realplayer , but as with all my phones, I have to enter all the settings
(usually not a problem). I tried using the wap proxy, and even the
standard Real Audio/RTSP proxy ports with no success. I even configured
my own RTSP proxy server. I thought I had it solved then, but when it
started to buffer the audio, it died(lack of UDP). I tried everything I
can think of short of doing a port scan of the wap proxy address(not a
good idea). If anyone has a phone that they got from Cingular and it has
Realplayer installed, can you please pass along the proxy setting in
Realplayer's configuration.

On a side note, the same problem seems to exists for a computer attached
to a GPRS connection, so if you can get a computer to work with
Realplayer, I would like know how you have it setup.
4 answers Last reply
More about realplayer cingular gprs network

    RealPlayer works fine here (using automatic transport selection) over Cingular
    GPRS.

    John Navas wrote:

    > RealPlayer works fine here (using automatic transport selection) over Cingular
    > GPRS.
    >
    > In <4161AF46.9000804@usenetjunk.com> on Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:14:30 GMT, "R.M"
    > <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone got Realplayer to work on Cingular's GPRS network? Best I can
    >>tell, Cingular doesn't pass UDP traffic. To make matters worse, nobody
    >>in their customer service seems to know what a proxy is much less the
    >>settings for Realplayer. I'm using a Nokia 6620 that came with
    >>Realplayer , but as with all my phones, I have to enter all the settings
    >>(usually not a problem). I tried using the wap proxy, and even the
    >>standard Real Audio/RTSP proxy ports with no success. I even configured
    >>my own RTSP proxy server. I thought I had it solved then, but when it
    >>started to buffer the audio, it died(lack of UDP). I tried everything I
    >>can think of short of doing a port scan of the wap proxy address(not a
    >>good idea). If anyone has a phone that they got from Cingular and it has
    >>Realplayer installed, can you please pass along the proxy setting in
    >>Realplayer's configuration.
    >>
    >>On a side note, the same problem seems to exists for a computer attached
    >>to a GPRS connection, so if you can get a computer to work with
    >>Realplayer, I would like know how you have it setup.

    John, is your RP using UDP? I've heard rumours that Cingular's
    GPRS/EDGE doesn't do UDP, though I can't imagine why it wouldn't. I
    mean, really, I don't know nor care, just colour me curious...

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    In <cjspp5$q3f@library1.airnews.net> on Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:27:35 -0500, Jer
    <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >> In <4161AF46.9000804@usenetjunk.com> on Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:14:30 GMT, "R.M"
    >> <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone got Realplayer to work on Cingular's GPRS network? Best I can
    >>>tell, Cingular doesn't pass UDP traffic. To make matters worse, nobody
    >>>in their customer service seems to know what a proxy is much less the
    >>>settings for Realplayer. I'm using a Nokia 6620 that came with
    >>>Realplayer , but as with all my phones, I have to enter all the settings
    >>>(usually not a problem). I tried using the wap proxy, and even the
    >>>standard Real Audio/RTSP proxy ports with no success. I even configured
    >>>my own RTSP proxy server. I thought I had it solved then, but when it
    >>>started to buffer the audio, it died(lack of UDP). I tried everything I
    >>>can think of short of doing a port scan of the wap proxy address(not a
    >>>good idea). If anyone has a phone that they got from Cingular and it has
    >>>Realplayer installed, can you please pass along the proxy setting in
    >>>Realplayer's configuration.
    >>>
    >>>On a side note, the same problem seems to exists for a computer attached
    >>>to a GPRS connection, so if you can get a computer to work with
    >>>Realplayer, I would like know how you have it setup.

    >> RealPlayer works fine here (using automatic transport selection) over Cingular
    >> GPRS.
    >>
    >John, is your RP using UDP? I've heard rumours that Cingular's
    >GPRS/EDGE doesn't do UDP, though I can't imagine why it wouldn't. I
    >mean, really, I don't know nor care, just colour me curious...

    I'm using a notebook computer connected to a Sony Ericsson Z600 over Bluetooth
    to Cingular GPRS. I ran the Automatic Transport Configuration in RealPlayer,
    and it selected TCP.

    John Navas wrote:

    > I'm using a notebook computer connected to a Sony Ericsson Z600 over Bluetooth
    > to Cingular GPRS. I ran the Automatic Transport Configuration in RealPlayer,
    > and it selected TCP.

    I bet of If did that on the laptop it probably would work. However,
    there isn't anything like that in Realplayer on the phone. I'm about
    ready to call it a lost cause. I was really looking forward to streaming
    audio and video, but it not anything I can live without.

    As far what Jer said about UDP, he is correct. There are some UDP ports
    that Cinuglar doesn't pass. Until now I only knew of one or two ports
    that I have identified but now that I've been messing with this, I
    starting to think they might all be blocked.

    Here is an idea .When I have time, I'll bring up one of my servers that
    will echo data on all UDP ports(1-65535). Using my laptop I will then do
    a port scan on my server and then I can identify exactly what ports are
    open. If I'm right, and if I do find open ports, I can simply put my
    RTSP proxy on one of these ports. Not sure when I can get it done, but
    I'll post the results of my test.

Cingular Realplayer Proxy Internet Service Providers