Invalid file names

September 16, 2004 1:23:07 PM

When trying to back up a drive (using copy and paste) to
a DVD, I encounter invalid fie names (containing an
undisplayable character) and the copy quits. Trying to
delete these files file Explorer, or by the DOS DEL
commend fails. Can't even rename the file. Using DOS to
MOVE all files in the directory leaves the files with the
funny names.
Any suggestions?

More about : invalid file names

September 16, 2004 11:46:20 PM

"jim" <jaj-sr@msn.com> wrote in message
> When trying to back up a drive (using copy and paste) to
> a DVD, I encounter invalid fie names (containing an
> undisplayable character) and the copy quits. Trying to
> delete these files file Explorer, or by the DOS DEL
> commend fails. Can't even rename the file. Using DOS to
> MOVE all files in the directory leaves the files with the
> funny names.
> Any suggestions?

Could http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/15263/15263.... possibly
be of use??

hth

george
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:49:12 PM

Hi, Jim.

Have you tried the Dir command with the /x switch in a "DOS" window?

Dir /x will produce the usual Directory listing, but with an extra column
showing the SFN (Short File Name, also called the 8.3 filename) before the
LFN.

Many LFNs appear to be valid SFNs, but are not, because they use
undisplayable characters or some other technique. Dir /x forces the display
of a valid SFN. Then you can use that SFN with the Del or other DOS
command. (As usual in a "DOS" window, of course, type the command name
followed by /? to see a mini-help file listing all the switches and
parameters available for that command.)

If this doesn't work for you, please post back with details of what you
tried, HOW you tried it, and what results you saw.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX