Sign in with
Your question

A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?

Last response: in Memory
May 10, 2006 10:41:31 AM

The Pentium D 805 is a budget CPU, but it puts lots of processors from AMD and Intel to shame. Although it is not based on the latest 65 nm core, this CPU remains stable even when operating at amazing 4.1 GHz. What will this mean for the status quo in the computer industry?

More about : ghz dual core 130 true

May 10, 2006 11:31:29 AM

Quote:
The Pentium D 805 is a budget CPU, but it puts lots of processors from AMD and Intel to shame. Although it is not based on the latest 65 nm core, this CPU remains stable even when operating at amazing 4.1 GHz. What will this mean for the status quo in the computer industry?

True, it's quite a feat. However -- the power consumption is obscene, 260 watts at idle. Your £79GBP is very misleading in the need for higher-quality peripheral components.

I'd like to see this kind of effort expended on an 820 and a 920, sure they cost more, but EIST is worth it [considering energy prices over here lately!].

Actually, the 930 is available at £140GBP at some online retailers, it'd probably pay for itself a couple of years down the line. (two-hundred and sixty watts IDLE!) A budget 65nm overclocking review would thus probably be far a more relevant article considering your tech-savvy reader-base. Personally, I'm avoiding the 805. It's tempting, sure, but with the release of the 900 series - there is no contest.
May 10, 2006 12:03:05 PM

Add VAT to that £80 as well so its £93 in good old UK. Still a bargin if all of them preform that well.
Related resources
May 10, 2006 1:34:36 PM

Amazing sitting here speachless... I should throw away the Pentium D 950 and buy four Pentium D 805s! hehehhe
May 10, 2006 1:36:51 PM

wait and see what conroe can do! im willing to bet that conroe will replace the 805 as the overlcock champ! :twisted: and its power consumption will be withink reasonable levels :!:
May 10, 2006 1:46:35 PM

LOL relax a little no need to get aggressive :D 
May 10, 2006 2:02:24 PM

astonishing.... :!:
May 10, 2006 2:14:14 PM

Sure the overclocking is great and price/performance is unbeatable but I would not touch this with a 10ft pole.

Think about price/performance after running this setup for a year with an average use of 8 hours per day (that is being modest).

Hell, the processor drawing 2XX watts of power all the time would make your electric bill go through the roof!

Over a years time im sure you'd spend $400-$500 more in electricity alone!

Not worth it. Great idea though.
May 10, 2006 2:17:54 PM

I dont think any one who is overclocking will give a rats ass what the consumption is like or the size of the power bill. Thats not what its about.
You will prob only have this chip for 6-12 months before the next big thing is out so wo cares how much juice it drinks in the long run. Also most computers can downclock if its not being used. most peoples comps dont run full wack 8 hours a day.

This is about a chip that is £90 besting a £600 chip.

I certainly dont care how much power my computer uses.
May 10, 2006 2:32:09 PM

Each to their own.

It's the same with hotting up cars, some people love to do it. Others don't get it and can't understand why people do.

Sure you shorten the life of the engine and get poor fuel economy (not always), but that's not the point of doing it.
It's all about having fun and enjoying a hobby.
May 10, 2006 2:39:29 PM

that 4.1 is quite insane, I have never heard about the Pentium d before, now I bet when wind of this gets around they will fly out of stores.

Also people who are in the dilemma right now of waiting for am2 or conroe or just build a new system right now have a low cost way to get a dominating cpu right now and not spend a lot, just to have it not perform well enough for them in a few months.

And if they don’t like the power thing they don’t have to go to 4.1 the thing still kicks but at lower clock rates.

One request, could you guys at toms get a phase change cooling solution hooked up to that thing and see if it goes higher yet? Maybe oil or liquid nitrogen could work too?
May 10, 2006 2:55:29 PM

great clocks i'm very suprised with taht small lilte chip going turning in to a huge monster with proper theeth and fangs very very cool :D  but how about hte life span of that processor shure it won't last very long in that oc and the ram to it will take a beat to, but very cool just for showing off.
May 10, 2006 2:58:30 PM

The article mentioned a software overclocking app from Gigabyte. Is there any reason an app like that couldn't be expanded to be a SpeedStep clone of sorts? It could ramp up FSB settings and voltages when it detects high processor usage (on either core) and turn them back down when usage drops. That way you could have the best of all worlds: 3.8 GHz speed on air when its needed, low(er) power consumption at idle, all at bargain basement prices. Has this already been done?
May 10, 2006 3:43:55 PM

Quote:
that 4.1 is quite insane, I have never heard about the Pentium d before, now I bet when wind of this gets around they will fly out of stores.

Also people who are in the dilemma right now of waiting for am2 or conroe or just build a new system right now have a low cost way to get a dominating cpu right now and not spend a lot, just to have it not perform well enough for them in a few months.

And if they don’t like the power thing they don’t have to go to 4.1 the thing still kicks but at lower clock rates.

One request, could you guys at toms get a phase change cooling solution hooked up to that thing and see if it goes higher yet? Maybe oil or liquid nitrogen could work too?

They couldn't if they wanted to anyway ast it staes in the report. They got it at 4.3Ghz where windows XP would boot but when they put ir under any high load it would crash
May 10, 2006 3:49:08 PM

Quote:
Add VAT to that £80 as well so its £93 in good old UK. Still a bargin if all of them preform that well.

RTFA, that's with VAT :p  Still, it's a feat, and taken on the whole I think it'll save you money over the £700 EE. But you chaps are right, there are other options to look into for budget processors that overclock. Just we can't give you every piece of info under the sun in the one article :wink:
May 10, 2006 4:17:26 PM

My machine is time for an upgrade and I was looking for an excuse to cross over.

Just on question about this. Is it possible to run this with a SLI configuration somehow?
May 10, 2006 4:29:55 PM

It was just a thought. Last time toms took a intel nf4 chipset and match it with a D it didnt work very well.
May 10, 2006 4:36:16 PM

LOL!!
May 10, 2006 4:50:37 PM

that pretty amazing when I read the article

the price performance ratio is freakin amazing

- i was getting ready for School ( high school )

i opened my laptop and went to tomshardware.com

and Bam ! a pentium d to 4.1 ghz , i was in totally Wtf !?!?! shock

i mean even to overlcok it to maybe 3.4-3.6 would be good enought for me, without really having to raise the voltage that much

makes u think do u really need those high end Cpu's ?

:o 

nice Article u did @ tomshardware.com , pretty shure more peolple r going to look into the Pent D's and maybe even picking up one for themselves.

:D 
May 10, 2006 4:51:38 PM

I must say this is a bit disheartening for us fanboys.

I'd like to see a 3800+ overclocked this hardcore and then see who wins though.
May 10, 2006 5:12:24 PM

uhhhm, i don't really know how to put this... there is a slight difference in price, and also the fact that this is the slowest dual core (on the intel line at least)... i think comparing something that small to something double the price just doesn't work...

Ara
May 10, 2006 5:28:25 PM

This would be great for someone who is building a new system. Remember you will need a good quality mother board with options to over clock, new DDR2 memory, a good heatsink or possibly water cooling, monster power supply, and to get those gaming benchmarks a very high end video card. Like I said it would be all fine and dandy for someone building a new system, but if you have another system are your motherboard memory and video card going to be compatible with the new set up? I save a lot of cash when upgrading by upgrading wisely so I can use for parts from the older computer. All this overclocking usually only equates into a few more FPS in a game and like I said before only if you have the best of the best video card. A 6600GT with a 2gig amd chip will only get a small boost from a 4gig cpu. At that point you will be gup limited and not cpu limited. Look at the average FPS for fear. Set to its standard speed it gets 85 fps while over clocked it gets 97 fps. Not such a big deal. So if you go the dough, the time, and the know how go for it.
May 10, 2006 5:32:11 PM

Quote:
I must say this is a bit disheartening for us fanboys.

I'd like to see a 3800+ overclocked this hardcore and then see who wins though.

I doubt they would get a 3800+ up to 50% more clock with out some hectic memory and cooling.

Where with this basicly all you doing is taking the motherboard and memory and setting them where they should be running while the side effect is overclocking the cpu. Just my thoughts on it.

Can see all the AMD supporters coming in here a claiming how false this could be just becuase for once Intel did something good and proper.
May 10, 2006 5:41:32 PM

Quote:
i doubt even madmodmike would doubt this review. wouldn't put it past someone to claim photoshop was used to edit the screenies though so who knows.

LOL You always get those odd people who would clain the "photoshop" tampering.

9 out of 10 of them would be AMD supporters.
May 10, 2006 5:48:36 PM

The real trick here, though, isn't to get 4.xx Ghz, but to set it up with their first real(increased voltages) overlocked setup - at 3.6Ghz.

Or got to 3.8Ghz. Hardly any more cost.
The aftermarket air cooler worked fine - all they had to do was tweak the voltage in it to achieve virtually the same results as the 4Ghz setup. No water-cooling, no crazy voltage increases - just a mild overvoltage and about the same power useage as the current top-end Intel chip(so your motherboard won't die 6 months down the line, either) Any board can handle 1.50 volts.

That's several hundred dollars saved for the price of a Zahlman cooler. DIY easy. For most of us, it's a matter of buying the CPU and the cooler and dropping them in. Nothing more.

This reminds me of the older Pentium SX processors from a deacade or so ago. Miserable little things. 25mhz was common(yeah, that long ago - lol) - no heatsink at all. So we all put quarter-pound heatsinks on it, which were about 10x the size of the chip in diameter! - for $6, why not?.

Then you added a fan and soldered in a new clock crystal and presto - 40mhz. This was also a $120 or so chip versus nearly $800 for the big boy.
May 10, 2006 5:51:18 PM

Quote:

RTFA, that's with VAT :p  Still, it's a feat, and taken on the whole I think it'll save you money over the £700 EE. But you chaps are right, there are other options to look into for budget processors that overclock. Just we can't give you every piece of info under the sun in the one article :wink:

Suggest you check your facts:
Article says at overclockers

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue...

Price pentium d 805 £79.95 + vat (93.94 icluding vat)
or this week only £73.95 + vat (£86.89)

That aint £79.95 including VAT
May 10, 2006 5:51:49 PM

Here comes a real-life user, for all who doubt.

Out of the box, in Gigabyte 8n SLI mobo, overclocked to 3.7 at stock voltage without ANY problems at all. Slight increase in voltage to 1.425V enables 3.8. Stable with F.E.A.R, oblivion and Toca Race Driver 3 for hours and hours on end. Ran 3dmark05, 06 coupla times too...nil problemo....

No budget for additional zalman fan, therefore not overclocking any higher. However, intel's stock fan is already giving me a headache with its xtra loud wind sounds when at high speeds...3200rpm onwards....

So thats 1 thing to consider....otherwise, im very very very happy w the purchase.

Heres what i used in all :

Pentium D 805
Gigabyte 8N SLI
512mb x 2 Corsair ValueSelect DDR2 533mhz
250gb Maxtor PATA IDE
Elsa 7800gt 256mb
AOpen 450W PSU <- I hear this's quite crappy but its working real well.

BTW, i have 2 questions:

1. When i overclock fsb to 740mhz, does it mean i have sufficient bandwidth by using ddr2 533mhz in dual channel? Cuz from what i know, theres theoretically double the bandwidth so i shld not need to be worrying much?

(p.s. my mobo allows fsb n ram to clock seperately...)

2. To prevent high power usage, im downclocking the processor to 2.1ghz... Which is about 105fsb. I also reduce voltage to 1.275. At this speed and voltage, fan is hardly audible and temps are near room temp.
Does this mean my power consumption is much reduced?

pls advice, THANK U ALL!!
May 10, 2006 6:03:42 PM

What is this doing in memory? Anyway finally some vindication. And on the vr forums i guy got to 6.xx ghz it was a sucide run,it was cool to see a cpu z of it.
on a side note i used stock hsf to get to 3.53 ghz not throttling.. Cpu/mobo combo was only $139

take a look at THIS
May 10, 2006 6:06:20 PM

I think you guys should also give the Socket 939 Opteron 165 and 170 a Look, Personally I have a 165 running perfectly stable at 2.6 Ghz with stock cooling, thats an FX-60 for 1/3 the Price. For a little more cash, you can get an Opteron 170 which has an optimal 10X Multiplier. Both of these generate significantly less heat than the said overclocked Pentium D. and Dont require any sort of cooling tweaks to reach these speeds. Based on my experience I'd say about 90% of Opteron 165s are capable of Reaching 2.4 Ghz, and 90% of Opteron 270s are capable of reaching 2.6. (While remaining under 1.5 Vcore).

I personally know someone who has an Opteron 170 48 Hour prime stable at 2.9 Ghz. The opterons really do make great chips.

Edit: 100 series, not 200 series! Doh!
May 10, 2006 6:16:39 PM

Quote:
I think you guys should also give the Socket 939 Opteron 265 and 270 a Look, Personally I have a 265 running perfectly stable at 2.6 Ghz with stock cooling, thats an FX-60 for 1/3 the Price. For a little more cash, you can get an Opteron 270 which has an optimal 10X Multiplier. Both of these generate significantly less heat than the said overclocked Pentium D. and Dont require any sort of cooling tweaks to reach these speeds. Based on my experience I'd say about 90% of Opteron 265s are capable of Reaching 2.4 Ghz, and 90% of Opteron 270s are capable of reaching 2.6. (While remaining under 1.5 Vcore).

I personally know someone who has an Opteron 270 48 Hour prime stable at 2.9 Ghz. The opterons really do make great chips.

Are you sure you don't mean 165 and 170? There are no opteron 2xx series chips in socket 939. They do overclock pretty well though.
May 10, 2006 6:18:31 PM

I'd suggest the Zahlman - it's not that expensive. Also, 800mhz memory will make a slight but noticeable difference. But the Zahlman will be running at half throttle all the time, or literally 10db or more lower than the stock piece of crud. Got noise? Ditch the stock cooler.

I'm kind of in your boat - I want a faster CPU(2.4 Ghz right now) and the dual-core is appealing. But I also want a 2-4 year system, so 3.8Ghz seems to be the best compromise.

Oh - Small cooling primer:

#1 - replace your stock CPU cooler. Quieter.
#2 - replace any sleave bearing fans as well - including the ones on the Northbridge/etc. Quieter the better.
#3 - Leave a slot open next to your video card. - Two slots away from it(with dead airspace inbetween) - put a slot cooler in.
#4 - put your hard drive into the lower 3.5 bay in the front. Open up the 3.5 bay cover above it. I have Maxtor 300Gig hard drives in my system. They run too hot to touch, but with the intake airflow going over them, I can place my hand on them - they're about 85 degrees F.(!)
#5 - Remove the front intake fan - all it does is make noise. If the rear fans are working, any opening in the front will pull in enough air. By my forcing all of the air through two 3.5 inch openings(used a floppy drive adaptor for a 5.25 bay as well) - the airflow going in is accelerated easily as much as the intake fan was doing. It feels noticeably cool, even with the hard drive right under it.

#6 - The real, true fix. Do this if you don't do anything else. The problem with most fans is that they are quiet until you put them into a system, right? It's backpressure. Look at the back of your case. Notice all of those nice OSHA-approved holes for the exhaust? That's 1/2 of your system's noise right there! Placing high speed fans millimeters away from a metal obstruction not only magnifieds the noise by 20db or more, but it also shortens the life.

Look at the fan on your power supply. It's identical to a stock 60mm fan. Note how much quieter it is and how much more air it's moving? That's because the only thing there is a wire finger guard.

So the solution is easy - pull apart your case. Get a Dremel. Grind out the round holes where the exhaust fans go. (be sure to clean up properly - metal dust=NG) Put the fans back in and add wire finger guards(round wire type - not some fancy logo or nonsense).

I did this and my airflow doubled. All of the above? One afternoon. Dropped my Db by at least 10 overall, my hard drives run cool to the touch, and most of all, my CPU temp dropped 13 degreesC and my system overall, 10 degrees. Not bad for an afternoon and $50 in fans.
May 10, 2006 6:19:30 PM

I'd suggest the Zahlman - it's not that expensive. Also, 800mhz memory will make a slight but noticeable difference. But the Zahlman will be running at half throttle all the time, or literally 10db or more lower than the stock piece of crud. Got noise? Ditch the stock cooler.

I'm kind of in your boat - I want a faster CPU(2.4 Ghz right now) and the dual-core is appealing. But I also want a 2-4 year system, so 3.8Ghz seems to be the best compromise.

Oh - Small cooling primer:

#1 - replace your stock CPU cooler. Quieter.
#2 - replace any sleave bearing fans as well - including the ones on the Northbridge/etc. Quieter the better.
#3 - Leave a slot open next to your video card. - Two slots away from it(with dead airspace inbetween) - put a slot cooler in.
#4 - put your hard drive into the lower 3.5 bay in the front. Open up the 3.5 bay cover above it. I have Maxtor 300Gig hard drives in my system. They run too hot to touch, but with the intake airflow going over them, I can place my hand on them - they're about 85 degrees F.(!)
#5 - Remove the front intake fan - all it does is make noise. If the rear fans are working, any opening in the front will pull in enough air. By my forcing all of the air through two 3.5 inch openings(used a floppy drive adaptor for a 5.25 bay as well) - the airflow going in is accelerated easily as much as the intake fan was doing. It feels noticeably cool, even with the hard drive right under it.

#6 - The real, true fix. Do this if you don't do anything else. The problem with most fans is that they are quiet until you put them into a system, right? It's backpressure. Look at the back of your case. Notice all of those nice OSHA-approved holes for the exhaust? That's 1/2 of your system's noise right there! Placing high speed fans millimeters away from a metal obstruction not only magnifieds the noise by 20db or more, but it also shortens the life.

Look at the fan on your power supply. It's identical to a stock 60mm fan. Note how much quieter it is and how much more air it's moving? That's because the only thing there is a wire finger guard.

So the solution is easy - pull apart your case. Get a Dremel. Grind out the round holes where the exhaust fans go. (be sure to clean up properly - metal dust=NG) Put the fans back in and add wire finger guards(round wire type - not some fancy logo or nonsense).

I did this and my airflow doubled. All of the above? One afternoon. Dropped my Db by at least 10 overall, my hard drives run cool to the touch, and most of all, my CPU temp dropped 13 degreesC and my system overall, 10 degrees. Not bad for an afternoon and $50 in fans.
May 10, 2006 6:26:55 PM

Quote:
who cares about price and power that thing takes all comers in quite a few benchies. i know some people like wusy will disagree about the zalman though. still price performance is incredible. remember most overclockers will buy an aftermarket cooler regardless of which cpu they get so the cost of that isn't really important.

True
May 10, 2006 6:27:30 PM

Kudos to the team at Tom's for discovering this anomaly and doing such meticulously methodical research to prove their case!
May 10, 2006 6:32:58 PM

Sorry for the double-post - my browser's acting funny lately. Can a DEV delete the second one? Thanks.
May 10, 2006 6:37:57 PM

Well im sold. Im going to go and check to see if my supplier has the correct cpu's and then order a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Board with some HyperX DDR2-800 ram with the CPU.
May 10, 2006 6:41:03 PM

LOL They probaly going to look at me like im crazy or something

Such a nice board and memory then this crappy entry level cpu.
May 10, 2006 6:41:32 PM

I have been thinking about upgrading my current PC. I was going to wait for Conroe/AM2. When i do upgrade i will need to start from scratch(i plan on going sli). Do you think building a machine with this setup is a wise choise? Or should I wait for conroe etc?

If so what do you reccomend i go with for:
Mobo:?
Mem:?
After Market Cooler: ?
May 10, 2006 6:44:15 PM

yea when i was researching to buy it a mth ago, i could only rely on google...."budget dual-core goodness"....that article got me sold....
where im at (singapore), x2 3800+ costs 500 while p805 costs less than 200.

btw plekto, go for it, no regrets man...and i wonder if the price will rise soon....after so much coverage, even toms did it...

great tips on cooling, i might add....will try it on a sunday...hopefully dbs go down....

Lastly, 740fsb not bottlenecked by 533ddr2 dual channel?
May 10, 2006 6:45:01 PM

Wow. This is a great feat I am happy Toms put the story out but now the price of 805 Ds will go up. So does the motherboard make a diff. in the oc done by toms is my question or can we use various? Also, they said water cooling at 4.1 Ghz but the said it could be done with air? So which is it just stable with water or stable and running hot with air?
May 10, 2006 6:49:13 PM

im not sure at 4.0ghz and above, but going by my account (as posted above), doesn't really matter what u use....
May 10, 2006 6:57:10 PM

Im running an 805D on a cheapy ECS C19 mobo 200$ USD total cost (already had the DDR2) I have mine @3.6Ghz with the stock voltages I would try to OC it some more but not untill I get rid of the stock cooler (come on UPS hurry the F up...) It does run on the high side running Quake 4 I got it to 56C wich is pretty hot in my mind. so far I would say im very pleased with the performance. Oh and the person who asked about SLI. That ECS mobo is an NForce4 bourd and it seems to work fine :) 
May 10, 2006 6:58:26 PM

They did say Motherboard and memory quility will effect the outcome.

So if you going to do this a good motherboard (asus or gigabyte) with some good ddr2-800 ram.

With the cash you save on the CPU you can get the watercooling for the setup.
May 10, 2006 7:12:16 PM

Water cooling would probably be required above 3.8Ghz I just cant imagine using air above 3.8 (although im sure some people will) I knew the 805 was a good deal for the money and I knew it had some good OCing potential but this article was eye opening to me. I now feel safer in pushing it for more :) 
May 10, 2006 7:12:44 PM

I just wanted to know what setup was used for this review, MB, RAM, Video, etc..
May 10, 2006 7:22:47 PM

I think a better comparison may be done with an Opteron 165, the cheapest dual core Opty. The good old 144 is single core.
May 10, 2006 7:33:56 PM

Are you folks sure that this will work? I have seen other Pentium D 802 review. Many of them said they couldn't overclock past 3.8.
May 10, 2006 7:49:30 PM

Well there are two people with these cpu's. Ask them. :-)
May 10, 2006 7:55:04 PM

I will post when I get some better cooling installed :)  could be a bit I have a few projects on my plate. I am thinking this weekend if I can catch up on some work :p 
May 10, 2006 8:14:19 PM

take a look at this

This is my motherboard limited run (esc 410L)HERE
    • 1 / 14
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
Related resources
!