Sign in with
Your question

Old Computer, What is the bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2006 1:39:50 PM

MY brother's computer is really old but he uses it to play old games such as warcraft III and Counterstrike 1.6
If I were to add a couple $$ for the computer which parts should be upgraded? the specs are

Athlon 1.33Ghz
2x 512MB PC2700 Ram
Radeon 9600 pro
80GB ATA133 HD
400W PS

Thanks for your time reading this, hoping to hear some suggestions!

More about : computer bottleneck

May 10, 2006 2:05:13 PM

I would say both CPU and GPU.

But if I had to choose I, it would be the CPU. I think that would be a bottleneck if a fast GPU, like the Radeon 9800Pro were to be dropped into the PC.

A Socket A Sempron should be fine and probably ranges between $70 - $110 depending on the speed. You will need to update the motherboard drivers. First make sure the drivers for the mobo will allow it to recognize the Semprons. The Semprons most likely uses DDR 333 RAM so hopefully the PC already uses that.
Related resources
May 10, 2006 2:51:32 PM

It's all about the budget, hand it over and we can help. In my line of thinking btw ( not that anyone gives a fly fcuk) but you have to wonder if your brother is playing the older games beucase his PC isn't up to par? If you can find a budget within the 300-400 range. You could do a rebuild. Also what kind of case do you have? Is it a name brand like Dell, Gateway(tohell)??
May 10, 2006 2:52:09 PM

don't mix 'driver' and 'BIOS' - as a matter of fact, it's more a problem of making sure your present mobo can handle the lower volted Semprons - from the RAM speed I'd say that the chipset is a Via KT266, and many mobos from this time couldn't handle the lower voltage required by newer chips. Moreover, the FSB was limited to 133 MHz, meaning that faster RAM would be useless.

A safer upgrade would be the graphics card, coupled with a fine CPU and RAM tuning (lower RAM timings: 1T, 2-2-2-5, synchronous speed), it would make it almost current. If you're thinking about upgrading, you'd better rebuild a complete one in a few months - when either Conroe or AM2 is out.
May 10, 2006 3:06:50 PM

I don't know if would be worth upgrading that system. You might want to consider a complete rebuild, and if that is the case might want to wait till the newer AMD and Intels come out in the near future.
May 10, 2006 3:08:46 PM

Quote:
don't mix 'driver' and 'BIOS' - as a matter of fact, it's more a problem of making sure your present mobo can handle the lower volted Semprons - from the RAM speed I'd say that the chipset is a Via KT266, and many mobos from this time couldn't handle the lower voltage required by newer chips. Moreover, the FSB was limited to 133 MHz, meaning that faster RAM would be useless.

A safer upgrade would be the graphics card, coupled with a fine CPU and RAM tuning (lower RAM timings: 1T, 2-2-2-5, synchronous speed), it would make it almost current. If you're thinking about upgrading, you'd better rebuild a complete one in a few months - when either Conroe or AM2 is out.

I would reccomend a rebuild with Conroe or AM2 for someone who is just looking to sped alittle $$ to improve his brothers gameplay. There are plenty of cheaper methods that would give the performance gain they seek.
May 10, 2006 3:50:22 PM

One good cpu cooler and overclock.

Other thing its waste money before a rebuilt.
!