One thing that AMD really needs is a value priced dual-core solution. Intel has has sub $200 dual-core processors. The cheapest dual-core offering from AMD is the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ which sells for $297 on NewEgg.

I agree that when Core 2 Duo (Conroe / Merom) comes out the heat will be on AMD. If AMD cannot make a better product than Core 2 Duo it will be forced to make better priced products.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Well I guess if nothing else at least AMDs product won't have a retarded name.

Core 2 Duo? Why not just Core Duo 2 or Core 2? Core 2 Duo is redundant. People will be like "So its two of two something?"

Would be like AMD calling the AM2 dual cores AMD Athlon 2 X2.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The prices are figured by how well the product fairs against the competition at the given time. If AM2 is released first then the prices will be high. When Conroe is released and it lives up to its hype and puts Intel back on top, then yippeeee, the AMD's will be the cheaper processor again, which is fine with me cause thats what put AMD where it is today, a cheaper, well perfoming alternative.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Well I guess if nothing else at least AMDs product won't have a retarded name.

Core 2 Duo? Why not just Core Duo 2 or Core 2? Core 2 Duo is redundant. People will be like "So its two of two something?"

Would be like AMD calling the AM2 dual cores AMD Athlon 2 X2.
Core is the name of the architecture. The first generation of Core chips are Banias, Dothan and Yonah.
The extension Duo means that is dualcore, and Solo means that is singlecore CPU.
Core 2 is the second generation of Core architecture chips, just like it was the case with the Pentium.
Core 2 Duo, means second generation Core architecture dualcore CPU.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
AND YES.....
WTF?!?!?!
3200+ 193euros?!??!?
what about DDR2-800 pricing?
ARghh....they are cutting down the branch, they are sitting on.

Lateknight

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
This is one of the first sites listing the new chips. They're bound to have a little 'novelty' surcharge added in for the fools with too much cash.
Hang fire for someone like newegg or overclockers to list them before flaming off.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Core is the name of the architecture. The first generation of Core chips are Banias, Dothan and Yonah.
The extension Duo means that is dualcore, and Solo means that is singlecore CPU.
Core 2 is the second generation of Core architecture chips, just like it was the case with the Pentium.
Core 2 Duo, means second generation Core architecture dualcore CPU.

Wow you're a genius. You figure that out on your own.

It doesn't matter what it is. There's still something called good product naming. The current naming scheme sounds retarded. Core Duo 2 would make far more sense to people.