Sign in with
Your question

AM2 vs Conroe

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2006 3:50:06 PM

Judging from the impressive preview of Conroe and the less than impressive preview of AM2, what do you think AMD has in store for its next platform (if anything) to lure buyers away from Intel?

More about : am2 conroe

a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 10, 2006 4:09:42 PM

AMD has stated many times that there will be little if any difference in performance between a comparable AM2 and Socket 939 Athlon so I'm not sure what you mean by unimpressive performance.
May 10, 2006 4:28:12 PM

Exactly that. Even though they're moving to a new platform performance, for the time being, remains the same. Whereas Conroe comes with the promise of a sizeable increase in performance
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2006 4:34:50 PM

hmmmm........ This has the making for a good flame war
May 10, 2006 4:50:53 PM

Don't want that. Please ignore. Delete. Delete. DELETE!
May 10, 2006 5:51:19 PM

I'm hoping the release of both will cause current CPU prices to plummet.

Oh the fun I will have on newegg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 10, 2006 7:11:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly that. Even though they're moving to a new platform performance, for the time being, remains the same. Whereas Conroe comes with the promise of a sizeable increase in performance

AM2 is merely a platform, there is no radical changes made to the Athlon 64 CPU's architecture other than a new memory controller and virtualization. That's it, everything else is the same. Mature CPU for a new socket.

Conroe on the other hand is a completely new CPU design. New CPU for a mature socket.

Think of way:

AM2 is to S939, as S939 is to S754.

Were there any radical changes from S754 to S939? No.
Also were there any significant changes between Intel's socket 478 and LGA775? No, at least not thar I'm aware of.

So, what is the benefit of AM2 other than DDR2? Faster Athlon 64 CPUs will be coming only for AM2; the X2 5000+ and FX-62 will not becoming out for the S939.

AM2 simply lays the groundwork for the K8L coming out next year.

From a business and development point of view releasing socket AM2 now is good so that AMD can focus on working out the bugs before releasing K8L.
May 10, 2006 7:34:34 PM

Errrr.....do we really need any more of these AM2/Conroe threads?
May 10, 2006 7:38:56 PM

Quote:
Errrr.....do we really need any more of these AM2/Conroe threads?

Really
May 10, 2006 8:20:25 PM

dude you noobs really need to stop posting this bs. i mean ive seen the same effin topic 9327423056102487901096307503724963758910436 times. jesus christ 8O
May 10, 2006 8:26:48 PM

Quote:

Also were there any significant changes between Intel's socket 478 and LGA775? No, at least not thar I'm aware of.

Not even remotely the same. s939 gives dual channel RAM....big plus.

s939 gives pci bus lock....Big plus for O/C.

s939 gives PCI-e...Only recently showing it's advantages.

s478-LGA775...no immediate advantages, although PCI-e is starting to

show advantage.

DDR2...no immediate advantage, but higher speeds are beginning to

show promise.

DDR2 was a good potential idea for P4, as p4 was bandwidth starved,

and higher latencies didn't have as much negative effect as A64.

A64 had enough bandwidth, but really needs the lower latencies.

So AM2 platform change isn't going to help much initially, and doubtfully

even long-term. :?

@ kais

If you have read the same stuff

9327423056102487901096307503724963758910436 times, then you

need to have your head checked. The topic was AM2 vs Conroe...Don't

tell me you didn't expect this. Silly you for even looking in on this thread.

It's like Howard Stern said on the radio....If you don't like my show,

change the channel.....
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 10, 2006 8:38:49 PM

Quote:

Not even remotely the same. s939 gives dual channel RAM....big plus.

s939 gives pci bus lock....Big plus for O/C.

Single channel vs. dual channel memory controller is not a radical change in the design of the CPU architecture. You even said that DDR2 is not a big deal for AM2.

I don't know where you get your technical information, but S939 does not give PCI bus lock or PCI-e. Those are features from the chipset (northbridge) not the CPU.
May 10, 2006 9:15:01 PM

Quote:

Uh...no. Jaguarskx is right, PCI features come from the northbridge. Prime example: a Socket 754 SLI motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I do agree with a few points, though. 754 to 939 did bring a faster FSB.
May 10, 2006 9:54:04 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping the release of both will cause current CPU prices to plummet.

Oh the fun I will have on newegg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe me too! :lol: 

Imagine all the money we'd save!!!! ;) 
May 10, 2006 10:12:23 PM

This sounds like it going to turn into a flame war. I rather wait and see Both Amd and Intel Info when both chips are out in the Real forums. Not crap about Prerelease. There Not out. Not hand pick or so on. But when chips can be ran by Real people who buy the chips.

I dont care if Amd faster Or Intel faster. But what I do care is facts. Not so called facts from japan. I want english facts.
May 10, 2006 10:33:50 PM

Quote:

I dont care if Amd faster Or Intel faster. But what I do care is facts. Not so called facts from japan. I want english facts.

Hmmmm....So you you aren't biased against Processors, just where

the people who use them are from? :?:
May 10, 2006 10:53:04 PM

Quote:

I don't know where you get your technical information, but S939 does not give PCI bus lock or PCI-e. Those are features from the chipset (northbridge) not the CPU.

Ohh silly me. And i thought that chipset is part of a platform. I didn't say

that cpu brought those changes...
May 10, 2006 11:07:54 PM

:?: There are other threads that compare AM2 to Conroe?

What a novel Idea!!!!

I'm looking up regurgitate in the Webster Dictionary.

regurgitate: Repeating the obvious truth over and over again to people
who can't stand hearing it once.
for example: Intel's conroe kicking AMD's butt.
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 10, 2006 11:14:50 PM

Quote:

Ohh silly me. And i thought that chipset is part of a platform. I didn't say

that cpu brought those changes...

My original post is about the architecture differences between S754, S939, and AM2 CPUs. I am not talking about chipsets nor the platform in general so that makes most of your statements irrelavent.

You statements:

Quote:

s478-LGA775...no immediate advantages, although PCI-e is starting to

Makes it sound like the S939 Athlon 64 brought those changes in to the daylight.

Other than increased FSB (which is not a "radical" change) what other major differences are there between the three sockets types? They all process the data the same way since the overall logic architecture has not changed. You need to wait for K8L before that happens.

Also the increased FSB did not put the S7654 CPU at a disadvantage. This article here compares many processors including S939 and S754. Note how the S754 Athlon 64 3000+ consistantly beats the S939 Athlon 64 3000+ in all the benchmarks. Single Channel vs. Dual Channel. Certainly Dual Channel will win. I don't think so.

I don't mind if you refute what I say because I am not right all the time. But at least do it intelligently.
May 11, 2006 12:13:16 AM

Quote:
Judging from the impressive preview of Conroe and the less than impressive preview of AM2, what do you think AMD has in store for its next platform (if anything) to lure buyers away from Intel?

They have blind fanboys, good past and good labels on their packages like the "DDR2 ultra mega fast 800MHz, with teoretical up to 12.8GB/s bandwidth"
May 11, 2006 12:49:52 AM

gOJDO..... I think we were talking about the cpus.... not the people that buy them.... and, AMD will eventually need to move to DDR2, so why is now not the right time? Not like it is really hurting them at all.
May 11, 2006 12:55:35 AM

jaguar.... I beleive you are correct in saying that there is not much performance difference in most cases with single core cpu's on single channel in comparison to dual channel. I think 939 was probably needed for dual core. I am sure they saturate more memory bandwidth. But you are pretty much on track with what you are saying.... from my perspective.
May 11, 2006 12:57:09 AM

I sit just me or is this thread silly.

How can u compare a cpu to a socket type?
May 11, 2006 12:57:20 AM

Quote:
gOJDO..... I think we were talking about the cpus.... not the people that buy them.... and, AMD will eventually need to move to DDR2, so why is now not the right time? Not like it is really hurting them at all.

Well, there is nothing new for the new socket, just the bigger prices for the same CPUs on the new socket and much more expencive DDR2-800 in order to achive the same performance like the s939 with DDR.
It is not the right time just becouse the K8 and its on-die memory controler are not optimized and designed to have adventage of high latency and more bandwidth.
And I can't understand why people are thinking that AM2 is architecture or cpu or whatever else. It is socket, and Conroe can't fit in the AM2 socket.
May 11, 2006 1:09:45 AM

Godjo.... just because they release a new socket does not mean you need to buy it. But anyone in the need of building a new pc that wants to use AMD should. DDR2 prices are not much more expensive.... you can get a Gb for $100 or even less. Yeah it costs more, but the price will continue to fall. AM2 is also what the CPU is called that fits into that socket. Yes, we all know it is K8, we don't refer to current 939 cpu's by calling them K8's..... that is probably where the confusion is coming from. But as I was saying, AM2 has been implemented for a reason, and it wasn't to make current K8 cpu's faster, it is for the cpu's that will be released at the end of this year or the beggining of next year. And personally I don't mind the early release, because when I need a new computer, it will have the bugs worked out of the motherboards by then. If I build an AMD system.
May 11, 2006 1:10:31 AM

Quote:

It's useless trying to keep a good conversation with an intel fanboy like the one you've quoted. It's worthless.
May 11, 2006 1:15:47 AM

Quote:
Godjo.... just because they release a new socket does not mean you need to buy it. But anyone in the need of building a new pc that wants to use AMD should. DDR2 prices are not much more expensive.... you can get a Gb for $100 or even less. Yeah it costs more, but the price will continue to fall. AM2 is also what the CPU is called that fits into that socket. Yes, we all know it is K8, we don't refer to current 939 cpu's by calling them K8's..... that is probably where the confusion is coming from. But as I was saying, AM2 has been implemented for a reason, and it wasn't to make current K8 cpu's faster, it is for the cpu's that will be released at the end of this year or the beggining of next year. And personally I don't mind the early release, because when I need a new computer, it will have the bugs worked out of the motherboards by then. If I build an AMD system.

You can bet that the final AM2 will boos at least 7-10% performance over s939. :wink:
May 11, 2006 1:36:01 AM

Quote:

the concern is not that DDR2 prices may be higher (most everybody knows they aren't). The concern is the more expensive motherboards, plus having to upgrade the old RAM, which does make it kinda costly. :) 
May 11, 2006 1:39:17 AM

Quote:
You can bet that the final AM2 will boos at least 7-10% performance over s939. Wink

Its been tested and it doesn't.
May 11, 2006 1:40:27 AM

Quote:
You can bet that the final AM2 will boos at least 7-10% performance over s939. Wink

Its been tested and it doesn't.

Word.
May 11, 2006 8:05:47 AM

Quote:
It's useless trying to keep a good conversation with an Intel fanboy like the one you've quoted. It's worthless.

hmmm...maybe you've concluded that in the HORDE, but if I remove the bolded part in your statement than for once while I am member on this forum I do agree with what you've said.
I like people who makes me smile, and I like you very very much.
..and without the "re", your nick name perfectly maches your caracter and behavior. BRAVO!

Quote:
DUDE thats just what i said.

There was no your post there while I was writing mine. Both are send in few secs, one after other(see the posting time) and mine is longer and can't be writen in few secs. So, I was not copying you:) 
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 11, 2006 11:30:34 PM

Quote:

You can bet that the final AM2 will boos at least 7-10% performance over s939. :wink:

**YAWN**

Wishful thinking and baseless.

Simply wait for AM2 and DDR2 800 to get the facts from some actual benchmarks.
May 12, 2006 2:49:22 AM

Quote:

**YAWN**

Wishful thinking and baseless.

Simply wait for AM2 and DDR2 800 to get the facts from some actual benchmarks.

Dude the benchmarks have already come out....
May 12, 2006 9:36:59 AM

I would like to formally apologise to the Forumz community for starting this thread. Indeed it has become very silly.

My intention was neither to start a flame war, nor to compare apples to oranges. I think everyone here knows that AM2 is a socket & that Conroe is a processor.

The reason I mentioned both AM2 & Conroe in the same sentence is that they are both "the next big thing" for AMD and Intel respectively.

What I was hoping was for some exchange of opinions about the short term plans of the two companies based on what we know is coming out soon. Also some educated guesses about the implications of those new technologies. Maybe even some rumours of what AMD or Intel are planning that might not be widely known.

For instance, AM2 will not be offering dramatic performance improvements immediately, as it seems, but it opens up a few paths for the evolution of current CPU's that might be significant, such as the move to 65nm and CPU's with lower power consumption. It seems that "absolute performance" has taken a back seat to "performance-per-watt"

Also, the integrated memory controller on current AMD CPU's, while it did wonders performance-wise, was the main reason why AMD couldn't move to DDR2 earlier. Do you think they have a good reason for doing that now (especially considering how close we are to Conroe's launch) or are they just trying to catch up to Intel in regards to memory support?

I'm neither a technician nor a programmer, just an enthusiast. But I found the recent articles comparing CPU architectures quite interesting and I hopes that people here would have similar interests. And if there are a million other threads on the same subject, I apologise once again but it's up to each one to stop reading or to ignore what doesn't interest them. No one is forcing anyone to post here.
May 12, 2006 9:43:32 AM

If you wanted to have opinions on what each means for each company, don't call the thread "AM2 vs Conroe"
May 12, 2006 9:47:13 AM

Ya, it'll only attract the horde.
May 12, 2006 10:00:03 AM

Quote:
Ya, it'll only attract the horde.

it attracts me too. i love the horde, they are so much fun and laugh :lol: 
May 13, 2006 12:12:49 AM

Quote:
Is it just me or is this thread kinda like trying to start a car with a blown up engine? Until we get actual production cpu's out there, there really is no point to this discussion. only reason i am reading this is cause i am really bored. :lol: . all benchmarks that we have seen for conroe and am2 are pre productin samples. yea conroe seems to be really fast and am2 so far does not show any improvement. As far as AM2 is concerned, no i do not see any improvement until they change to 65nm process unless before then they get maybe a much improved memory controller or something or are just really holding something back from the general public till actual production cpu's are released, i dunno. :roll:

No not really. The "they are just engineering .... wait for release" argument is a "group think" type thing that happens when these rare situations occur as people tend to look for excuses to diminish the visibility of an up coming product release. It is a natural human response to things they do not like -- hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil - remember the monkeys.

When you get an ES 6-8 months away from release, then your argument applies, when you get ES 1-2 months away from release your argument does not. Take the AT samples of AM2, the first one was crap. It takes about 2 months to build the lithography mask set, another 1 month to get a sample out of the fab (assuming fast track processing), So within 6-8 months you can get one or two revisions in. When you sample a product about 1-2 months away from release this is pretty much what you can expect at release. The 3-5% for AM2 is valid and is what you will gain at release using only the fasted DDR2-800 memory you can buy (also the most expensive, say 350-450 for 2 gig's).

I agree, you are not going to see revolutionary things with AM2. However, I disagree that you can get much hope that 65 nm will give much of a pop... for a few reasons. First, the performance curve is flattening out, the best we could expect from 65 nm compared to AMD's 90 nm is maybe 15-18% gain at the peak of the process, so AMD is looking at maybe 3.2-3.4 GHz max on 65 nm (unless they increase their bin-split Spec's and decrease their engineering margin for speed/power). The data is showing clock for clock, they will need to get 30-40% speed increase to regain performance lead. Second, AMD is making the 65 nm enormously complicated, so yields are going to be difficult to achieve. So the availablity of 65 nm parts will be scarce at first. They will respond to this by either charging premium process or simplifying the process to bring yields back online (pure speculation, so this is my opinion).

K8 as great is it is, is starting to age. Conroe has better per clock efficiency running on Intel's 65 nm process, which on today's data will run faster than AMD's K8 process in the long run. They need a new architecture and not just simple tweaks, slapping on some extra FPUs here and there will not cut it.

AMD is gonna have a hard time in 2007/8.

Jack

Once again, we have "all-mighty" Jumping-Jack posting his bullshit.

Please, go here and educate your self, but if you still believe that Intel's process is better than AMD's then, it's a proven fact that you're an intel fanboy. Give credit where is due.

A few centuries ago people thought that the world was flat until Christobal Columbus prove they were wrong. I believe we're experiencing the same problem on this forum :wink:
May 13, 2006 12:01:42 PM

Fighting between yourselves by posting sites like 'AMDZONE' and 'INTEL.COM' nobody is going to take either of you seriously.
May 13, 2006 12:52:43 PM

Quote:
Once again, we have "all-mighty" Jumping-Jack posting his bullshit.

Please, go here and educate your self, but if you still believe that Intel's process is better than AMD's then, it's a proven fact that you're an intel fanboy. Give credit where is due.

A few centuries ago people thought that the world was flat until Christobal Columbus prove they were wrong. I believe we're experiencing the same problem on this forum :wink:

Wow...every day you are crossing my expectations more and more....
When are you going to free your self from the iron blocks that are covering your eyes?
65nm AMD fab?!???haha......The posted link is just another unrelevant-noclue forum thread from just another uneducated troll....and you are talking to PhD to educate from that crap.....why don't you go and finish your primary school first, and than back here, so you can understand any of the posted "bullsh*t" by all-mighty Jack?
May 13, 2006 1:49:08 PM

Quote:
AMD is not in production at 65 nm, so 2nd generation stress is false. Intel implemented stress engineering at 90 nm and was first to market.
AMD is not in production at 65 nm, so embedded SiGe is false. Intel was first to market with embedded SiGe for PMOS.
AMD started 90 nm with FSG then implemented CDO, Intel started 90 nm with and was first to market with CDO.
AMD is not in production at 65 nm, so stress memorization is false.
AMD is not in production at 65 nm, so SiGe capped PMOS is false, what is capped PMOS anyway?

Yep, it's worthless arguing with you.
Believe whatever you want. :roll:
May 13, 2006 2:15:33 PM

I know I'm just feed a troll here but Sexbomb dig your head out of the sand and realize facts are facts.
May 26, 2006 2:51:21 AM

They way I see AM2: is helping those Intel users who already have DDR2 but were waiting to change over because their memory was suffocating by Intel's FSB. testing AMD's IMC is going to be a joyful venture for those DDR2 users. It wont cost them that much to change over, because they already have DDR2 and the prices of Nvedia 500 series are very reasonable compared to Intel's set up. Also they don’t have to change the mobo every 3-5 months as intel's forced them so.
SLI Graphic cards is another good reason for gamers. The Nvedia 500 series has bunch of other attractive improvement such as 6 SataII, faster ethernet, and inter- connectivity.
AM2 a good transition for Intel's users and More power to AMD.
May 26, 2006 2:59:31 AM

I hate SLI, two and a half times the price does not justify a theoretical 40% performance increase, which I have yet to see happen.
May 26, 2006 3:30:56 AM

Quote:
Hey Mike, how's it hanging -- True64Performance must be shut down now eh?

Yeah...what happened to True64Performance?? He was really going at it in that "AM2 shows 20% improvement over S939" post!!

To be honest, I love my S9393~3200+ which runs at 2.5GHz with a pair of 2 x 1GB PQI Turbo Memory @ DDR500 - 2.5-3-3-6, 2.7V ($150 USD).
But if you say I must use AM2s with memory modules that will set me back $400+ just so it will run 20% faster than a S939 and 10~15% slower than a Conroe!!!..... There was a lot of synthetic tests so I dont know~~~~ I'd like to know what happens in real world tests!!!

What I would like to see is the score of a Conroe with the same setup (memory, VGA, etc) apart from CPU and motherboard of course.
But then some will argue that Conroe is a 65nm and AM2 is 90nm..........it never ends!!!
May 26, 2006 3:59:09 AM

It's pathetically funny when sexbomb starts railing Jumpingjack for innuendos. When he has arguably posted the best material seen on this forum for quite a while. He posts facts and information from reliable professional and scholarly work, and synthizies the material to state logic conclusions from that information. Every poster here should approach posting with the attitdue that jumpingjack does. Insults and innuendo may work in the political realm sexbomb, but against a respected and intelligent poster it just makes you look even more pathetic.
May 26, 2006 4:16:39 AM

Quote:
It's pathetically funny when sexbomb starts railing Jumpingjack for innuendos. When he has arguably posted the best material seen on this forum for quite a while. He posts facts and information from reliable professional and scholarly work, and synthizies the material to state logic conclusions from that information. Every poster here should approach posting with the attitdue that jumpingjack does. Insults and innuendo may work in the political realm sexbomb, but against a respected and intelligent poster it just makes you look even more pathetic.
QFT, amen, brother.
May 26, 2006 5:43:29 AM

Quote:

Yeah...what happened to True64Performance?? He was really going at it in that "AM2 shows 20% improvement over S939" post!!

To be honest, I love my S9393~3200+ which runs at 2.5GHz with a pair of 2 x 1GB PQI Turbo Memory @ DDR500 - 2.5-3-3-6, 2.7V ($150 USD).
But if you say I must use AM2s with memory modules that will set me back $400+ just so it will run 20% faster than a S939 and 10~15% slower than a Conroe!!!..... There was a lot of synthetic tests so I dont know~~~~ I'd like to know what happens in real world tests!!!

What I would like to see is the score of a Conroe with the same setup (memory, VGA, etc) apart from CPU and motherboard of course.
But then some will argue that Conroe is a 65nm and AM2 is 90nm..........it never ends!!!

TG Forumz is currently experiencing difficulty. The difficulties should have no impact on the enjoyment of the Forumz services aside from the occasional flame war and baiting that occurs. :lol: 

The trouble is a recurring poster who is banned, sets up a new account under a different name/email address, and restarts the same posting behavior, is banned again. The cycle continues now counting 4 times and likely a 5th.

GotaloveIMC???? = True64Performance = MaGiC_MaN = x86_64 = MadModMike

It is still inconclusive if GotaloveIMC is in this progression, but it is likely.

The only thing is, he may be getting sneakier, posting opinions that he

really doesn't believe. ie: I'm pretty sure that MMM was against SLI. :?
May 31, 2006 8:36:14 PM

Quote:

TG Forumz is currently experiencing difficulty. The difficulties should have no impact on the enjoyment of the Forumz services aside from the occasional flame war and baiting that occurs. :lol: 

The trouble is a recurring poster who is banned, sets up a new account under a different name/email address, and restarts the same posting behavior, is banned again. The cycle continues now counting 4 times and likely a 5th.

GotaloveIMC???? = True64Performance = MaGiC_MaN = x86_64 = MadModMike

It is still inconclusive if GotaloveIMC is in this progression, but it is likely.
You forgot one! Dr. House. Look it up on the search tab. What gave him away was his unordinarily lage post-per-day count and his great knowledge about AMD. The last clue came when he posted in 9-inch's thread: "somthing strange is going on at tHG forumz", I think on page #4. He gives a link to MMM's blog. I personally did a search to find his blog on google, using several different keywords. Never was I able to find it, but this newbie, who was never around when MMM was posting, not only defends MMM's "honor", but also posts a link to his blog spot. I'm really sitting on the fence when it comes to GottaloveIMC. If it is Mike, he's doing a good job by not posting so much in a given day, and he is purposely spelling things wrong and performing other grammatical faux pas that MMM would never do. Usually grammatical tendencies are like a fingerprint, as they are often hard to break. That's why I'm not sure if it is MMM. He certainly seems surly enough to be MMM though, which by itself will be enough to get this creature banned. :wink:
!