Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Judging from the impressive preview of Conroe and the less than impressive preview of AM2, what do you think AMD has in store for its next platform (if anything) to lure buyers away from Intel?

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Exactly that. Even though they're moving to a new platform performance, for the time being, remains the same. Whereas Conroe comes with the promise of a sizeable increase in performance

Exactly that. Even though they're moving to a new platform performance, for the time being, remains the same. Whereas Conroe comes with the promise of a sizeable increase in performance

AM2 is merely a platform, there is no radical changes made to the Athlon 64 CPU's architecture other than a new memory controller and virtualization. That's it, everything else is the same. Mature CPU for a new socket.

Conroe on the other hand is a completely new CPU design. New CPU for a mature socket.

Think of way:

AM2 is to S939, as S939 is to S754.

Were there any radical changes from S754 to S939? No.
Also were there any significant changes between Intel's socket 478 and LGA775? No, at least not thar I'm aware of.

So, what is the benefit of AM2 other than DDR2? Faster Athlon 64 CPUs will be coming only for AM2; the X2 5000+ and FX-62 will not becoming out for the S939.

AM2 simply lays the groundwork for the K8L coming out next year.

From a business and development point of view releasing socket AM2 now is good so that AMD can focus on working out the bugs before releasing K8L.

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
dude you noobs really need to stop posting this bs. i mean ive seen the same effin topic 9327423056102487901096307503724963758910436 times. jesus christ 8O

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Also were there any significant changes between Intel's socket 478 and LGA775? No, at least not thar I'm aware of.

Not even remotely the same. s939 gives dual channel RAM....big plus.

s939 gives pci bus lock....Big plus for O/C.

s939 gives PCI-e...Only recently showing it's advantages.

s478-LGA775...no immediate advantages, although PCI-e is starting to

show advantage.

DDR2...no immediate advantage, but higher speeds are beginning to

show promise.

DDR2 was a good potential idea for P4, as p4 was bandwidth starved,

and higher latencies didn't have as much negative effect as A64.

A64 had enough bandwidth, but really needs the lower latencies.

So AM2 platform change isn't going to help much initially, and doubtfully

even long-term. :?

@ kais

If you have read the same stuff

9327423056102487901096307503724963758910436 times, then you

need to have your head checked. The topic was AM2 vs Conroe...Don't

tell me you didn't expect this. Silly you for even looking in on this thread.

It's like Howard Stern said on the radio....If you don't like my show,

change the channel.....

Not even remotely the same. s939 gives dual channel RAM....big plus.

s939 gives pci bus lock....Big plus for O/C.

Single channel vs. dual channel memory controller is not a radical change in the design of the CPU architecture. You even said that DDR2 is not a big deal for AM2.

I don't know where you get your technical information, but S939 does not give PCI bus lock or PCI-e. Those are features from the chipset (northbridge) not the CPU.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

Uh...no. Jaguarskx is right, PCI features come from the northbridge. Prime example: a Socket 754 SLI motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123257

I do agree with a few points, though. 754 to 939 did bring a faster FSB.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This sounds like it going to turn into a flame war. I rather wait and see Both Amd and Intel Info when both chips are out in the Real forums. Not crap about Prerelease. There Not out. Not hand pick or so on. But when chips can be ran by Real people who buy the chips.

I dont care if Amd faster Or Intel faster. But what I do care is facts. Not so called facts from japan. I want english facts.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I dont care if Amd faster Or Intel faster. But what I do care is facts. Not so called facts from japan. I want english facts.

Hmmmm....So you you aren't biased against Processors, just where

the people who use them are from? :?:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I don't know where you get your technical information, but S939 does not give PCI bus lock or PCI-e. Those are features from the chipset (northbridge) not the CPU.

Ohh silly me. And i thought that chipset is part of a platform. I didn't say

that cpu brought those changes...

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
:?: There are other threads that compare AM2 to Conroe?

What a novel Idea!!!!

I'm looking up regurgitate in the Webster Dictionary.

regurgitate: Repeating the obvious truth over and over again to people
who can't stand hearing it once.
for example: Intel's conroe kicking AMD's butt.

Ohh silly me. And i thought that chipset is part of a platform. I didn't say

that cpu brought those changes...

My original post is about the architecture differences between S754, S939, and AM2 CPUs. I am not talking about chipsets nor the platform in general so that makes most of your statements irrelavent.

You statements:

s478-LGA775...no immediate advantages, although PCI-e is starting to

Makes it sound like the S939 Athlon 64 brought those changes in to the daylight.

Other than increased FSB (which is not a "radical" change) what other major differences are there between the three sockets types? They all process the data the same way since the overall logic architecture has not changed. You need to wait for K8L before that happens.

Also the increased FSB did not put the S7654 CPU at a disadvantage. This article here compares many processors including S939 and S754. Note how the S754 Athlon 64 3000+ consistantly beats the S939 Athlon 64 3000+ in all the benchmarks. Single Channel vs. Dual Channel. Certainly Dual Channel will win. I don't think so.

I don't mind if you refute what I say because I am not right all the time. But at least do it intelligently.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Judging from the impressive preview of Conroe and the less than impressive preview of AM2, what do you think AMD has in store for its next platform (if anything) to lure buyers away from Intel?
They have blind fanboys, good past and good labels on their packages like the "DDR2 ultra mega fast 800MHz, with teoretical up to 12.8GB/s bandwidth"

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
gOJDO..... I think we were talking about the cpus.... not the people that buy them.... and, AMD will eventually need to move to DDR2, so why is now not the right time? Not like it is really hurting them at all.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
jaguar.... I beleive you are correct in saying that there is not much performance difference in most cases with single core cpu's on single channel in comparison to dual channel. I think 939 was probably needed for dual core. I am sure they saturate more memory bandwidth. But you are pretty much on track with what you are saying.... from my perspective.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
gOJDO..... I think we were talking about the cpus.... not the people that buy them.... and, AMD will eventually need to move to DDR2, so why is now not the right time? Not like it is really hurting them at all.
Well, there is nothing new for the new socket, just the bigger prices for the same CPUs on the new socket and much more expencive DDR2-800 in order to achive the same performance like the s939 with DDR.
It is not the right time just becouse the K8 and its on-die memory controler are not optimized and designed to have adventage of high latency and more bandwidth.
And I can't understand why people are thinking that AM2 is architecture or cpu or whatever else. It is socket, and Conroe can't fit in the AM2 socket.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Godjo.... just because they release a new socket does not mean you need to buy it. But anyone in the need of building a new pc that wants to use AMD should. DDR2 prices are not much more expensive.... you can get a Gb for $100 or even less. Yeah it costs more, but the price will continue to fall. AM2 is also what the CPU is called that fits into that socket. Yes, we all know it is K8, we don't refer to current 939 cpu's by calling them K8's..... that is probably where the confusion is coming from. But as I was saying, AM2 has been implemented for a reason, and it wasn't to make current K8 cpu's faster, it is for the cpu's that will be released at the end of this year or the beggining of next year. And personally I don't mind the early release, because when I need a new computer, it will have the bugs worked out of the motherboards by then. If I build an AMD system.