Sign in with
Your question

User Ranks on The Forum

Last response: in Forum Feedback
November 3, 2006 4:08:34 PM

Hey everyone, I am sure that I just cant find this and it is out there but where do I find the number of posts for each rank, I am interested to see them.

I was thinking that I would find it under the FAQ but I looked there and it makes mention but has no list for number of posts associated with each rank on the boards.

A little link guidance would be appreciated.

More about : user ranks forum

November 3, 2006 4:38:58 PM

Don't know why they haven't put them in the faq yet, but partway down this thread are the user titles.

Mike.
November 3, 2006 8:08:25 PM

Quote:
FAQ: User titles + posts required

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1100 nimble knuckle
1600 Honorary Poster
2200 Faithful Poster
2900 Ancient Poster
3700 Eternal Poster
4600 Forum Veteran
5600 Forum Fixture
6700 Forum Resident
7900 Forum Master
9200 Forum Gigolo
10600 Honorary Veteran of THGC
12100 Honorary Fixture of THGC
13700 Honorary Resident of THGC
15400 Honorary Master of THGC
17200 Honorary Gigolo of THGC
xxxxx ???

Threre you go ...
Related resources
November 3, 2006 8:23:18 PM

Quote:
Don't spam just to get a new "Rank", or we'll be very mad!

What, like you ... :roll:
November 7, 2006 7:43:14 PM

I must say I feel the urge of a good spamming coming up... less than a 100 to go :tongue:
November 7, 2006 8:12:45 PM

You're behaving like a child, Karel ... :lol: 
July 6, 2009 6:54:09 PM

Since I came here on a link from another THG page today - I wanted to insert the link to the new listings - the ones above are outdated. And darn - I have gone from being an "old hand" under the old scheme to being a "newbie". What a demotion.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20737-12-member-ranki...
Anonymous
July 7, 2009 3:23:33 AM

I'm with rockyjohn -- I've only been using the site for 12 months but does that make me a "newbie".

On other sites I seem to be labelled an "addict" -- it's all slightly insulting and I don't see the value of it.
July 7, 2009 3:35:38 AM

The thing is... do the words under your name serious matter that much to you?
Anonymous
July 7, 2009 11:08:09 AM

Why not just list the number of posts ?
July 7, 2009 2:20:36 PM

Hi,

The number of posts are listed if you click the "More information" link underneath a members name.

Justin
Anonymous
July 7, 2009 4:59:06 PM

Strikes me that this change of user ranks is moving deckchairs on the Titanic -- higher priorities must be to update the "news stories" (dating from 2005, 2007, 2008) and weeding out the spam which pops up so regularly on forums.
July 8, 2009 3:08:47 PM

What I don't understand is why posts now get 4 points, but when they created the list they gave only a fraction of a point - apparently less then half - to earlier posts. Why devalue the earlier activity?
July 9, 2009 7:47:39 PM

randomizer said:
The thing is... do the words under your name serious matter that much to you?

Note: I posted this same response to the New Rankings thread, which seems to be the most active on this topic, but I am posting it here because I wanted to respond to the above post on this thread and I know this thread also has a link to it from other THG pages so some might only see this thread.

I thought the objective of the forum was to provide the person seeking help or information with some measure of the reliability of the responses received and to encourage readers with some expertise or information to respond.

With regard to former:
1. How is the reliability index (assigned name) improved by giving points to the poster who is the one lacking the requisite information? Why does the poster receive approximately 4 times the points of each respondent who presumably has the better knowledge?
2 How is the reliability improved by apparently giving only a fraction of a point for pre-transition posts versus 4 points for post-transition posts? Rather this misleads the reader by apparently downgrading the value of the response.

With regard to the latter:
1. How does it encourage readers to provide responses when, after several years of faithful service they are informed that THG’s ranking of their expertise has been downgraded?
2, I only take the time to respond in hopes that I am helping someone – that they will value the information I provide. Downgrading me to “newbie” after over 700 posts does not improve my expectation of having my opinions valued.

Further I think the rating system should put less emphasis or value on opening threads over posting responses. I understand you are trying to incentive this but I don’t believe the openers of threads require incentives. If they have a real question, getting an answer is or should be a much larger incentive than any points received. With regard to discussion type threads, I have seen very few good ones. And the good ones come from people who have a real interest in a topic or discussion and are not motivated by getting points for it.

On the other hand, I do see that offering points starting threads may motivate some less conscientious readers to post just to get the extra points. I am not sure how the “selecting a best answer” works, but if it means the original poster gets to pick the best response and gets even more points, this exacerbates the problem. I have seen the evidence of readers making a spat of innocuous posts, consuming the time of serious readers while obviously just trying to boost their own ratings. Now what are the incentives provided them. They can create one new question and pick a best answer, getting 40 points, which is worth as much as 10 posts - and in the process consume the time and attention of people who think they are helping someone with a legitimate question.
July 17, 2009 7:47:11 PM

Not just pointless but wrong. Originator stated he had a USB keyboard that was not working and she told him to check the batteries. Really! I am not making this up.

Must be affirmative action - trying to recruit more female posters.
Hey - I am all for it - Farah Fawcett was a great female poster.
July 17, 2009 9:04:59 PM

rockyjohn said:
Not just pointless but wrong. Originator stated he had a USB keyboard that was not working and she told him to check the batteries. Really! I am not making this up.

Yeah, I had read it, nothing like a wrong answer to a 3 year old thread :pfff: 
July 19, 2009 5:59:29 AM

Remember though that many of those necro posters never post again. That's a minor issue compared to the "demotion" one.
July 19, 2009 6:06:29 AM

So how what are the chances of having the 'demotion' issue 'fixed'. The forum is odd with the current ranking system. I think there is an escaped scziphophrenic wannabe who has delusions of grandeur of being a Regular over in the Windows 7 section. You will notice him by his signature trait. stupidity.
July 19, 2009 6:32:21 AM

Well Justin said the new system is staying, so it can only be adjusted. What are the chances of making some change? Can't say for sure, but I'm sure with enough pestering we can get them to modify it somewhat. I won't estimate the time frame for the change though, it might cause abnormal heart rhythm.
July 19, 2009 6:37:55 AM

Depending on you to manage the change. Looking forward to being a Forum Master again. 8)
July 19, 2009 8:08:26 PM

Two easy changes (I think) to make would be:
1. Award full points for older posts.
2. Revise some of the names to be a little more positive.

Go ahead and keep the structure if he wants, even though it does not make sense - if you are trying to have some measure of experience to give those who post questions a lot more points than those who provide answers. But as long as posting questions is not abused it should not have a major impact.

However Dell's point above is a good one. At the transition I had about 600 posts and I think ended up with less than 200 points from it. This lady makes one post - and it is totally wrong - and she ends up with 104 points - almost half as many points as I have. How does that make sense?

I saw some made a suggestion to periodically have the point count start over. Why? You want to let newbies know who has some measure of experience. You defeat the purpose with that proposal.
July 19, 2009 8:32:09 PM

First, they lose our start dates, then they discredit our previous history by downgrading its value, then they stick us with insulting names. See ANYTHING good about this? Oh, that right, we get points now, and even then as several posters above have pointed out, a rookie can be tied with those that would be just coming onto their own in the old heirarchy.
So yes, this is to whomever decided/made this crap, youve made your mark, one that may never be washed away at the cost of Toms HardWare, and what it used to stand for, good on you
July 19, 2009 9:17:19 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
First, they lose our start dates, then they discredit our previous history by downgrading its value, then they stick us with insulting names. See ANYTHING good about this? Oh, that right, we get points now, and even then as several posters above have pointed out, a rookie can be tied with those that would be just coming onto their own in the old heirarchy.
So yes, this is to whomever decided/made this crap, youve made your mark, one that may never be washed away at the cost of Toms HardWare, and what it used to stand for, good on you

Exactly. Well said. Discredit, downgrading, insulting, heirarchy, crap, marks, washed away, cost and used to stand for. These actions of aggression taken by the evil perpetrators is no less than a terrorist act committed against the members in good standing of this Forum. Those responsible will be dealt with accordingly. Drowning is one option that will be given just evaluation and careful, consideration. Concern is of the evil doers utmost priority now. Evil pigs of the Forum. Run.

Edit for writer embellishments.

July 19, 2009 9:58:25 PM

I think its time for a new revolucion'e, no?
July 20, 2009 1:36:26 AM

rockyjohn said:
1. Award full points for older posts.

That would make quite a few of us addicts, but there's still a long way to go to move up anywhere else. I don't see myself reaching 15k posts in the next 3 years, although jaydeejohn might get there. I guess you need to be here for 10 years at least to be a veteran, or at least be a good spammer :sarcastic: 

@jdj: I agree fully.
July 21, 2009 2:59:42 PM

I wish they would fix the Tue Jan 01, 1970 bug...

But me likes the forum ranks!
July 21, 2009 7:18:48 PM

900+ posts and a newbie... i blame the smiling cat..
July 22, 2009 12:46:30 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I wish they would fix the Tue Jan 01, 1970 bug...

If the actual join date no longer exists then that can't possibly happen.
July 29, 2009 10:04:23 AM

I see new ones have been created, are these permament?
July 29, 2009 5:37:02 PM

blah my ranking went from old hand to apprentice after I restarted to post here lol, is that a demotion issue or is that old hand is an old title and pre points and apprentice is a new title post points?
July 29, 2009 7:14:18 PM

And I went from "Tom's Scout" to apprentice today. Wha' happen'd?? :D 
July 29, 2009 7:27:04 PM

this new system makes us look like noobs lol, Tom's scout seems to be a less noobie title to me

but i want old hand back :D 
July 29, 2009 7:41:17 PM

We got less gay titles.

Ahh well, small victories are better than none.
July 29, 2009 9:33:16 PM

theholylancer said:
this new system makes us look like noobs lol, Tom's scout seems to be a less noobie title to me

but i want old hand back :D 

Agreed - "apprentice" seems like some schmuck in an apron at the grocery store, learning the difference between watermelons and kiwis while popping zits over the tomatoes..
July 29, 2009 9:38:10 PM

So I propose this new rating system:

Putzicle - stranger
Putzy - n00b
Putz - member
NotSoPutzy - enthusiast
NottaPutz - addict
July 29, 2009 11:38:00 PM

Now people - you just have to get with the PC (post change) program and your new PC designations for the good of the board as it will incentivize the proper behavior - or so I have read.

The process of awarding more points - approx. 5 times as much - to originators posting issues than to people solving them will encourgage more originators. And certainly that is what we need. Apparently there just are not enough people with real issues to post so the forum needs to provide an incentive to those without issues to originate threads. So instead of griping - just go make up some issues to keep all the valuable responders busy.

And giving less points to PC posters, for their accumulated work, apparently is to reward new posters and encourage them to get busy and build there points. If you had a lot of PC posts - well tough nuggies - you can't rest on, or be recognized for, your laurels, you have to earn your stripes all over again. Just like when one company takes over another - hmm what a coincidence - all the goodwill built up with prior management vanishes. Hey, this is real life man.

And if the originators are confused about who the real experts are, well that does not matter as long as the system incentives them to post anyway and others to respond. After all, it is the number of posts that determine advertising revenue - not the quality of advice nor recognition of the quality of advice that matters. Don't forget - this is a business and we are just volunteering here to help them make revenue.

And your certainly can't expect the forum to post possible changes ahead of time and ask for comments. Where on Earth could they do that?
July 30, 2009 12:10:15 AM

They did used to post upcoming changes actually.
July 30, 2009 12:26:20 AM

They've only requested comments on one change this year I think, but in previous years (especially when the entire site layout was changing) they got alot more. They use http://feedbacks.tomshardware.com instead of the forum now.
July 30, 2009 4:45:46 AM

@ Fazers, guess youll have to come up with more AMD woe threads, so we can "grow" heheh
July 30, 2009 12:18:28 PM

Let's do short to-the-point posts!

(Isn't that I do anyway?)
July 30, 2009 12:59:27 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
@ Fazers, guess youll have to come up with more AMD woe threads, so we can "grow" heheh

Be patient, young grasshopper :D , be patient.

Once a quarter seems about right to me, for posting AMD financial woes [:thegreatgrapeape] .

-Fazers
(rank: NottaPutz!)
July 30, 2009 1:01:04 PM

LOL, well if anything, you do have good timing heheh.
July 30, 2009 3:48:31 PM

amdfangirl said:
Let's do short to-the-point posts!

(Isn't that I do anyway?)

Hmm, wasn't your former rank something like "old ancient nimble hand knuckle" under the old ranking system?? :) .

I'm surprised Random hasn't flagged himself yet for responding in a necro thread :D .

BTW, whatever happened to Turpit? I haven't seen his red eye around in a year or so. Really spooky how it would follow me around the room when visiting Tom's :o  .
July 30, 2009 7:09:09 PM

If you see that someone is missing, always remember, they are in my dungeon.
!