Technical Problem

i am using an epson 2100 with print rite cartridges. The printer
worked fine for 9 months, but since January 1st there have been
3 total failures of one ink. All three times it was photo magenta,
jets were reduced down to about 10 of 96 from one print line
to the next, cleaning cycles where of no success.

Epson repaired the printer with no costs because of warranty,
but claimed the compatible ink being "possibly responsible for
the damage".

Due to the sudden total failure of the same color i dont believe
that the ink is responsible for that. I think, epson only cleaned
the printer instead of repairing it. Am i right with this opinion
or may it be the ink, as epson claimed?

Regards, Gilbert

In article <cvhdv1$sdv$1@news1.ewetel.de>, brands@et-inf.fho-emden.de
(Gilbert Brands) wrote:

> Due to the sudden total failure of the same color i dont believe
> that the ink is responsible for that.

Failure of the same colour could point to a problem with that particular
ink's formulation, so I don't see how you arrive at your conclusion. Had
it had been a *different* colour your reasoning might be more persuasive.

> I think, epson only cleaned the printer instead of repairing it.

It would probably have been cheaper for Epson to replace the print head
than to spend the time required to clean it.

Jon.

Several possibilities here, and hard to know. If Epson could prove the
ink absolutely, they would have likely sent you a bill for the repair.

Sometimes one color of ink is bad in a batch. I have had this reported
to me numerous times. Obviously, each color has to be manufactured
individually, and one mixture can be made poorly or incorrectly.

Once you started clogging the head, until it is fully cleaned, it will
get progressively worse, so it may have been just one bad 3rd party
cartridge that led to the problem.

The cleaning of the head may have been the only repair it needed. Also,
Epson doesn't always return the same printer you send to them. Sometimes
they send you a refurbished model, and eventually get to your and repair
it and provide it to someone else having a problem. Most companies do
similar things with printers.

Art

Gilbert Brands wrote:

> i am using an epson 2100 with print rite cartridges. The printer
> worked fine for 9 months, but since January 1st there have been
> 3 total failures of one ink. All three times it was photo magenta,
> jets were reduced down to about 10 of 96 from one print line
> to the next, cleaning cycles where of no success.
>
> Epson repaired the printer with no costs because of warranty,
> but claimed the compatible ink being "possibly responsible for
> the damage".
>
> Due to the sudden total failure of the same color i dont believe
> that the ink is responsible for that. I think, epson only cleaned
> the printer instead of repairing it. Am i right with this opinion
> or may it be the ink, as epson claimed?
>
> Regards, Gilbert

Epson has a general policy of cleaning the heads on clogged printers
sent in for repair. Those heads are quite costly, as is the set up
process, since each head had to be individually and manually calibrated
and aligned for its geometry. At the factory this is somewhat
automated, but at a repair facility it is one by one and done fairly
much manually. Cleaning the printheads is a relatively simple procedure.

Art

Jon O'Brien wrote:

> In article <cvhdv1$sdv$1@news1.ewetel.de>, brands@et-inf.fho-emden.de
> (Gilbert Brands) wrote:
>

>>Due to the sudden total failure of the same color i dont believe
>>that the ink is responsible for that.
>

> Failure of the same colour could point to a problem with that particular
> ink's formulation, so I don't see how you arrive at your conclusion. Had
> it had been a *different* colour your reasoning might be more persuasive.
>

>>I think, epson only cleaned the printer instead of repairing it.
>

> It would probably have been cheaper for Epson to replace the print head
> than to spend the time required to clean it.
>
> Jon.

I think it is impossible to tell. One never knows if the real mfg of
the ink changed it formulation or got a bad batch of supplies from their
supplier. Anything can happen.

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message

> Sometimes
> they send you a refurbished model, and eventually get to your and repair
> it and provide it to someone else having a problem. Most companies do
> similar things with printers.

I'm aware that this goes on but has it ever been proved legal? How would you
feel if the car companies did the same? If you return a printer specifically
"for repair under warranty" does it remain your property? I guess it depends
on the T&C of the warranty policy.

In article <FN2Td.24689$0h.3698@clgrps13>, artistic@telus.net (Arthur
Entlich) wrote:

> Epson has a general policy of cleaning the heads on clogged printers
> sent in for repair. Those heads are quite costly, as is the set up
> process, since each head had to be individually and manually calibrated
> and aligned for its geometry. At the factory this is somewhat
> automated, but at a repair facility it is one by one and done fairly
> much manually. Cleaning the printheads is a relatively simple
> procedure.

Thanks Arthur. I was under the impression that it would be a fairly simple
swap-out job.

Jon.

On 23-Feb-2005, Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) wrote:

> each head had to be individually and manually calibrated
> > and aligned for its geometry. At the factory this is somewhat
> > automated, but at a repair facility it is one by one and done fairly
> > much manually. Cleaning the printheads is a relatively simple
> > procedure.

I'm looking for the setup utilities referred to in the Epson rebuild/repair/
dismantle manuals. Anybody know of a download site?
The utilities supposedly print head alignment patterns, of interlaced
CMYK lines, firing in various jet combinations, and you align for
correct interlacing of the lines. You can also (so the manual says)
write to the eeprom. Component level repair is covered, with ribbon
cable pinning, though I doubt Epson will sell you the spares.

It is legal because the warranty states that they can and do sometimes
do this, and you agree to the warranty when you keep and use the
product. They extend the warranty after the replacement until it ends
its course, or for 90 days or whatever, whichever is longer.

I am quite sure it is legal, if it is ethical or good business practice
for the client depends, I suppose on if you feel the product you
received was inferior to what you sent them.

In general, my experience has been that Epson refurbs are pretty near
new and well gone over, but I suppose it could be otherwise in some cases.

Art

CWatters wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>

>>Sometimes
>>they send you a refurbished model, and eventually get to your and repair
>>it and provide it to someone else having a problem. Most companies do
>>similar things with printers.
>

> I'm aware that this goes on but has it ever been proved legal? How would you
> feel if the car companies did the same? If you return a printer specifically
> "for repair under warranty" does it remain your property? I guess it depends
> on the T&C of the warranty policy.

Epson used to have an FTP site for these but I believe it has since been
closed down.

Which model do you need the programs for?

Art

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

> On 23-Feb-2005, Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) wrote:
>

>>each head had to be individually and manually calibrated
>>
>>>and aligned for its geometry. At the factory this is somewhat
>>>automated, but at a repair facility it is one by one and done fairly
>>>much manually. Cleaning the printheads is a relatively simple
>>>procedure.
>

> I'm looking for the setup utilities referred to in the Epson rebuild/repair/
> dismantle manuals. Anybody know of a download site?
> The utilities supposedly print head alignment patterns, of interlaced
> CMYK lines, firing in various jet combinations, and you align for
> correct interlacing of the lines. You can also (so the manual says)
> write to the eeprom. Component level repair is covered, with ribbon
> cable pinning, though I doubt Epson will sell you the spares.

BURT

My Epson Stylus 900 head clogged several times using OEM ink carts only.
Arthur's info proved invaluable in returning it back to proper function.
Infrequent use was the usual culprit, but sometimes long print runs seemed
to sometimes cause banding and color shifts that required attention with
head cleaning and head alignment.