Sign in with
Your question

Mobo for the Pentium D 805

Last response: in Overclocking
May 10, 2006 4:33:18 PM

For those who haven't read the article on the frontpage... this seems to be a great deal in processors and I'm basing my new rig around it. What would you recommend for a motherboard? Keep in mind it needs to have overclocking potential.

Somban

More about : mobo pentium 805

May 10, 2006 6:52:14 PM

I was planning on waiting for the AM2 chips, but having read that review and knowing i can pay a budget price for something which may well be on pretty close measure to something i just cant justify the price of, im planning on doing exactly the same thing.

Looking around, it seems this is probably the daddy or as good as any other:
http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model...
Its £130 in the UK (www.savastore.com) and Newegg have it in for $220 or $175 OEM (dont think ive ever seen Mobo's going OEM before!)

Its a touch over what i'd wanted to spend, but not out of my budget, and considering the cost of the CPU is at least 1/3 what i thought i'd be paying, bring it on!

Im glad i spotted it a few hours ago too, it means i can justify spending slightly more on the other aspects i'll be buying as everything else is stuck on the old technology (s478, AGP & DDR1 etc) so I can happily justify paying for the extra X on the end of a new Gfx card (either 79 or x19) and know i've saved a bundle on the CPU aspect.
May 10, 2006 7:05:00 PM

Heh, I'm in the same boat as you. I bet we have comprable current setups. Keep me apprised to what you choose.

Somban
Related resources
May 10, 2006 7:23:53 PM

sure, no problem :) 

im currently looking over the options for cooling, i'm pretty set on the Asus P5WD2-E Premium at the moment. Not having a case ready (nor will i for a couple of weeks, unless i pay £10 more and find someone with them in stock) and the size of the cooler is a concern, but im getting the Thermaltake Armor case and its a big enough thing so im not expecting there to be height issues.

Out of interest, are you 'downgrading to upgrade' your rig?
Im going from the s478 3.0ghz which is guess is partially a backwards step, and im pretty sure you cant buy this CPU for £79.99 hehe (£119 @ scan.co.uk) but i want a dual core CPU as i tend to have a fair amount of programs running on my machine (Dual screen... its just too tempting to have everything open!) and if i can get it into the 3.8-4.0ghz area and keep it nice and happy, then that'll do me just fine, i'll get 12-24 months from that, i cant say my current CPU struggles to be fair.

I've already got an Enermax 600wt PSU so juice wont be a problem there, only other things im looking at are Mobo Cooling & Memory (probably 2gb Corsair TwinX PC2-6400 /800mhz)
May 10, 2006 8:02:39 PM

I went a little cheap on the mobo for my build ECS I know they had problems with quality in the past but this bourd seems pretty good and its got all the OCing options and so far so good after a week of 24 hour use (other then reboots for patches and installs) I have my 805D @ 3.6 on the stock cooler I havent tried to OC more becouse of the cooling it gets a little hot under load.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.as...

was 68$ USD after a 10$ rebate so its SLI on the cheap lol
May 11, 2006 3:57:38 AM

Paul - I'm also going from p478 3.0. I think this will be quite an upgrade eventhough I'll be keeping about the same clock speed. I also upgrade in the 12-24 month range. I think this will be a good purchase cause I can justify dumping a bit more into the video card due to the relatively low price of the cpu.

Somban
May 11, 2006 8:52:48 AM

yeah, thats what i was doing, until i somehow decided that seeing as i was saving £200 on the CPU i'd start throwing money around!

Ordered:
Asus P5WD2-E Premium Mobo (the link i listed earlier was for premium, not -E version)
2gb Geil Ultra @ DDR2-800
MSI X1900 XTX
TTake Armor (black)
£30 worth of Optx lighting (special offer, so bought cos its too expensive to justify normally)

Havent bought the CPU yet and im already running out of cash!
Annoyingly i kinda spent upto my daily limit on the debit card and im not gonna be back till Saturday so the other bits like the CPU i wont get till Tuesday at the earliest.
It looks like i'll be going with the Zalman CNPS9500 with the stupid blue LEDs in there which im going to get angry at while the rest of my PC has red lighting in there! Also waiting for Akasa Amber fans to come in stock, good price while very effective and quiet, no LEDs in them thank god! :D  :roll:
May 11, 2006 9:50:18 AM

But what mobo(and ram) would be good for a cheap setup,I can't afford that much right now..
Any simple guides out there about 775 chipsets,there's far too many?
Which cheap ram still does a decent job?
Got a nice thermaltake case that should easily handle heat,just shame about the noise it makes..
Any advice be handy!
Ta,Simon.
May 11, 2006 12:43:09 PM

The great thing about the 805 is that it's FSB is reduced to 533MHz - and ALL 775 boards are made for 800MHz FSB at least - so pretty much any mobo can handle a decent OC - the "enthusiast" boards can just go further past 800. When OCed to 800, the 2.66/533 D-805 is running at 4.0GHz, which will be more than enough for most cooling setups (and certainly for the stock HSF) - THG had to use water cooling - now tell me what the point of buying a cheapo chip is if you use $100's of water cooling on it :?:

The real choice is between a DDR2/PCIe setup (e.g. P5WD2 etc) and the older DDR/AGP (with the 865PE chipset - the P5P800-SE is the way to go, and it's not too expensive either - which is why I am seriously considering replacing my Northy 2.4B with it even though I'm getting a new Conroe-based comp and money spent now is effectively a waste)

Try the Wikipedia entry for "Intel Chipsets" or something, that will have more info than you can poke a stick at
May 11, 2006 5:36:33 PM

Thanks Benny,That'd save me the price of a graphics card,though maybe if I sold my AIW9800Pro the money would pay for a PCI-e that's just as fast(I don't use the extended features any more).
Ta,Simon.
May 14, 2006 7:41:51 AM

Abit IL8

Based in 945P it will suport your 805 CPU. Anc it will be far cheaper than any other board. (if you are looking for bang for buck)

Best thing.... Abit MBs are quite good for OC, with loads of options.
May 14, 2006 8:31:49 AM

Anyone know of a socket 775 motherboard that supports a Pentium D 805, has DDR RAM (so i don't have to buy new stuff), uses a 975x chipset (so i can upgrade to Conroe later), has PCI-e and has SATA II ?
May 14, 2006 9:56:48 AM

Quote:
Anyone know of a socket 775 motherboard that supports a Pentium D 805, has DDR RAM (so i don't have to buy new stuff), uses a 975x chipset (so i can upgrade to Conroe later), has PCI-e and has SATA II ?

I do not believe such an animal exists.

You will be able to get less expensive S939's that will use your current DDR soon enough :-D
May 14, 2006 10:08:49 AM

You're right, i'll just stick with my Athlon 3700 for now and upgrade to duel core later, just out of interest - what's the best Athlon X2 to get ? (off topic i know but ... meh)
May 14, 2006 11:38:48 PM

Quote:
You're right, i'll just stick with my Athlon 3700 for now and upgrade to duel core later, just out of interest - what's the best Athlon X2 to get ? (off topic i know but ... meh)

If you do not plan to OC:
Price/performance wise probably the X2 3800

If you plan to OC:
The Opteron 165 Dual Core is probably your best bet

With the release of AM2 in 9 days, the release of con-roe[TM] over the Summer and 65nm AMDs on the way it's probably a good idea to wait and see what happens :-D

The AM2 release may not affect prices much but the Intel release should push prices lower and the 65nm AMD release further still.

Good luck :-D
May 16, 2006 2:32:54 AM

regarded the DDR ram it is backwards compatible as far as i know and DDR2 will work in a DDR1 slot...
May 16, 2006 2:33:36 AM

Don't get your hopes up. Some 805s can't go too high. I was unlucky enough to get one of them.
Quote:
The CPU we purchased for testing shows an internal voltage setting of 1.3375 V.

The voltage level you see on your Pentium D 805 must be the same or lower for you to attain the same overclocking result we achieved or do better.
May 16, 2006 5:26:50 AM

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up. Some 805s can't go too high. I was unlucky enough to get one of them.
The CPU we purchased for testing shows an internal voltage setting of 1.3375 V.

The voltage level you see on your Pentium D 805 must be the same or lower for you to attain the same overclocking result we achieved or do better.

I'm just hoping for 3.8 Ghz =/

but no really, does anyone know if the P5ND2-SLI is a decent MB for this?
May 16, 2006 5:57:26 AM

Quote:
regarded the DDR ram it is backwards compatible as far as i know and DDR2 will work in a DDR1 slot...

I'm sorry you have been misinformed.

DDR2 will not work in DDR1 slots

DDR2 and DDR1 are not electrically or physically compatible!

DDR1 DIMMs have 184pins and run at about 2.5V DC

DDR2 DIMMs have 240pins and run at about 1.9 - 2.1V DC

Even if you could plug 240pin DDR2 DIMMs into 184pin DDR1 slots the extra voltage would fry them.
May 16, 2006 6:37:35 AM

Quote:

Hi, I bought this very same board a couple of days ago and it works fine(so far). It lacks a few features of the deluxe model (like extra USB ports, firewire, and an external SATA connector), but the BIOS seems to give me seperate control over FSB, PCI-E, Memory speeds etc.

I'm currently at 190MHz fsb and (touch wood) everything seems stable. I'm cooling on air at the moment using a Vanessa L Type cooler. With the case closed, the temp seems to bounce between 44-45 degrees at idle and raises to 54 when I run PC Mark 2005.

I'm very happy with the cooler as it came with fittings for several different board/CPU types. Prior to buying this board I was using it on an Asus P4P800SE board with a Prescot 3.2E processor. The temperature with this new CPU seems pretty much identical to the prescot when running at 4GHz. It seems a heck of a lot faster than the prescot though.

I'm new to the forum so I'll have to read up on what results others are having with temperatures. For me the results I'm getting seem quite good, but it's not a particularly hot day today.
May 16, 2006 4:56:38 PM

Quote:

Hi, I bought this very same board a couple of days ago and it works fine(so far). It lacks a few features of the deluxe model (like extra USB ports, firewire, and an external SATA connector), but the BIOS seems to give me seperate control over FSB, PCI-E, Memory speeds etc.

I'm currently at 190MHz fsb and (touch wood) everything seems stable. I'm cooling on air at the moment using a Vanessa L Type cooler. With the case closed, the temp seems to bounce between 44-45 degrees at idle and raises to 54 when I run PC Mark 2005.

I'm very happy with the cooler as it came with fittings for several different board/CPU types. Prior to buying this board I was using it on an Asus P4P800SE board with a Prescot 3.2E processor. The temperature with this new CPU seems pretty much identical to the prescot when running at 4GHz. It seems a heck of a lot faster than the prescot though.

I'm new to the forum so I'll have to read up on what results others are having with temperatures. For me the results I'm getting seem quite good, but it's not a particularly hot day today.

very nice, haha i'm in a very similar situation. I currently have a Asus P4P800SE w/ a Prescot 3.2 Processor as well. Would you say it is worth upgrading to the 805 and OCing it with this board? My Prescott just isn't cutting it for quake 4 and my current geforce 6800 just isn't cutting it either so this is a chance for me to up to PCI-express x16. If so i'm gonna jump straight on it. :D  thanks!

also, i'm looking for 2GB of memory if anyone see's anything worth buying hah

On the flipside does anyone think it would be more wise to upgrade to a conroe ready MB instead and are there any on the market as of now?
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Intel_D975XBX_Motherboar...
Supposedly Currently newegg is shipping the Rev 304 required. too bad newegg isnt the cheapest.
May 16, 2006 6:45:08 PM

are you sure the P5WDG2-WS is conroe compatible? I was under the impression only the 2 intel boards were and only one with a mod.
May 18, 2006 2:01:11 PM

Hello,

I am not looking for overclocking the 805.
Can you please suggest a good motherboard which will run the 805 at a good speed.

I heard that ASUS P5LD2 (945 G ) has memory addressing problems.
I also heard that the 945G based motherboards can't address the full 4GB memory.
Is it true?

Please suggest a good motherboard.

Anybody has used Intel D945GNT seried motherboard?
May 18, 2006 3:16:25 PM

Quote:
Paul - I'm also going from p478 3.0. I think this will be quite an upgrade eventhough I'll be keeping about the same clock speed. I also upgrade in the 12-24 month range. I think this will be a good purchase cause I can justify dumping a bit more into the video card due to the relatively low price of the cpu.

Somban

I think upgrading from a P478 3.0 to a Socket 775 Pentium D 805 is a HORRIBLE idea... that's almost a lateral "upgrade" and it's made even worse if the board you buy isn't Conroe compatible... yes, I have a dual-core laptop and a dual-core desktop at home and I love them both, but that just doesn't seem to be an upgrade that is worth the money... will it be faster? Sure, a little... but christ at what cost?!?
May 18, 2006 3:42:46 PM

Quote:

Somban

I think upgrading from a P478 3.0 to a Socket 775 Pentium D 805 is a HORRIBLE idea... that's almost a lateral "upgrade" and it's made even worse if the board you buy isn't Conroe compatible... yes, I have a dual-core laptop and a dual-core desktop at home and I love them both, but that just doesn't seem to be an upgrade that is worth the money... will it be faster? Sure, a little... but christ at what cost?!?

I agree, it would cost a fortune and performance may actually degrade for some apps rather than improve.

Do not buy into the hype wait a little while for the new batch of CPUs to hit the market.
May 18, 2006 4:10:08 PM

Amen brother! As far a performance drop... it sounds like you're going to be OC'n the 805 so odds are it'll clock higher than your existing P4 so I wouldn't really expect a performance drop if that's the case... still... unless you're using multithreaded applications (or just have a ton of spyware running) I'm not sure you'd be able to tell the difference between the two processors... you'd TELL yousrelf you could sense a difference, but that would just the logical side of your brain trying to help you rationalize that purchase.

Either aim higher or don't upgrade just yet.
May 18, 2006 9:51:40 PM

wait a second, I have a socket 478 P4 3.2 Ghz prescott and I asked this exact same question and almost everyone told me to upgrade to the 805 becuse I have the worst processor ever?!
May 19, 2006 12:53:51 AM

I've gone from s478 3.0ghz to the 805, theres a couple of reasons behind it, and they seem to have been ignored.

1 - Costs.
Exactly how much is a semi decent Conroe/AM2 chip going to cost? $400 did you say? I think i'll pass thanks.

2 - Multi-tasking.
Maybe its a 0.4ghz step back at standard speeds, but even with stock cooling and running a single application, im going to expecting 3.4-3.8ghz if i want to let the juices flow.

3 - The future.
At the moment, 95% of people with a s478 chip in there machine are like myself, currently stuck with AGP graphics, DDR memory, and the fantastic s478 cpu range to chose from. Taking this supposedly expensive and pointless upgrade means i dont waste £300 on a CPU which right now is teetering on the edge of the next phase of CPUs, instead it means maybe i waste £80 on a cr*p CPU, £150 on a short-lived Mobo (is the Asus P5WD2's future compatable? not arsed really, wanted an AMD tbh!) but the PCI-E card will be fine, the 2gb DDR2-800 will be fine.

4 - Worth in 6 months.
In 6 months time, if i decide to upgrade, say i throw that D805 straight in the bin, thats £80 binned. You wouldnt lose that little selling a decent chip 2nd hand if it was only 1 month old!

Lets be honest, it might be a budget chip, and it might not be the fastest thing the worlds seen and we may well be on the edge of CPU greatness of which the world has never seen before.... but i cant afford to pay for all that, a decent mobo to justify the CPU, decent memory to partner it, and a decent GFX card to go kick some ass while gaming.
For me, this little overclocking secret came at a perfect time (to the day by chance), any upgrade was going to be expensive, just going with a new GFX card meant buying a new Mobo, and who'd spend £300/$500 on decent card while chugging along with a s478 as the workhorse!

If i was on an PCI-E board already, then maybe i'd have reconsidered things, but throwing £50/$80 on a bargin basement s478 mobo just to upgrade GFX, and then getting another Mobo when i get a new CPU months later.... its equally wasteful.

For myself, im running dual screen, and before that i had the taskbar doubled up and filled with apps all running away, now with the temptation of 2 screens to fill, i'll have Photoshop running on one side, DW on the other, Outlook brought up every few minutes answering emails, and browser windows popping up to check coding progress. So DC has been needed for a while, and the fact that TH posted this peice has meant that i've been able to purchase ALL the items i wanted without having to budget for things, good quality memory, x1900XTX, TTask Armor case, new HDs to switch to Raid5, and a capable CPU in the middle running its little socks off. Maybe it doesnt have a long lifespan, but then what does in the computing world these days??
May 19, 2006 12:59:32 AM

Quote:
I've gone from s478 3.0ghz to the 805, theres a couple of reasons behind it, and they seem to have been ignored.

1 - Costs.
Exactly how much is a semi decent Conroe/AM2 chip going to cost? $400 did you say? I think i'll pass thanks.

2 - Multi-tasking.
Maybe its a 0.4ghz step back at standard speeds, but even with stock cooling and running a single application, im going to expecting 3.4-3.8ghz if i want to let the juices flow.

3 - The future.
At the moment, 95% of people with a s478 chip in there machine are like myself, currently stuck with AGP graphics, DDR memory, and the fantastic s478 cpu range to chose from. Taking this supposedly expensive and pointless upgrade means i dont waste £300 on a CPU which right now is teetering on the edge of the next phase of CPUs, instead it means maybe i waste £80 on a cr*p CPU, £150 on a short-lived Mobo (is the Asus P5WD2's future compatable? not arsed really, wanted an AMD tbh!) but the PCI-E card will be fine, the 2gb DDR2-800 will be fine.

4 - Worth in 6 months.
In 6 months time, if i decide to upgrade, say i throw that D805 straight in the bin, thats £80 binned. You wouldnt lose that little selling a decent chip 2nd hand if it was only 1 month old!

Lets be honest, it might be a budget chip, and it might not be the fastest thing the worlds seen and we may well be on the edge of CPU greatness of which the world has never seen before.... but i cant afford to pay for all that, a decent mobo to justify the CPU, decent memory to partner it, and a decent GFX card to go kick some ass while gaming.
For me, this little overclocking secret came at a perfect time (to the day by chance), any upgrade was going to be expensive, just going with a new GFX card meant buying a new Mobo, and who'd spend £300/$500 on decent card while chugging along with a s478 as the workhorse!

If i was on an PCI-E board already, then maybe i'd have reconsidered things, but throwing £50/$80 on a bargin basement s478 mobo just to upgrade GFX, and then getting another Mobo when i get a new CPU months later.... its equally wasteful.

For myself, im running dual screen, and before that i had the taskbar doubled up and filled with apps all running away, now with the temptation of 2 screens to fill, i'll have Photoshop running on one side, DW on the other, Outlook brought up every few minutes answering emails, and browser windows popping up to check coding progress. So DC has been needed for a while, and the fact that TH posted this peice has meant that i've been able to purchase ALL the items i wanted without having to budget for things, good quality memory, x1900XTX, TTask Armor case, new HDs to switch to Raid5, and a capable CPU in the middle running its little socks off. Maybe it doesnt have a long lifespan, but then what does in the computing world these days??

Thanks for the perspective. I'm still on the fence about this. I think my current concern is with waiting for DX10 cards. I was planning on getting a 7900GT and calculating all the costs I reached a tottal of around 600-700 dollars for all the components I'd need to make the siwtch. I would indeed be going from 1 GB of DDR 400mhz ram to 2GB of DDR2 667mhz. Not to mention the heat problems with the prescott. I'm sure I would ge tthe same idle temps of my prescott (49-55 deg) in the new system. In addition I just won an Antec P180 case which I have yet to use. but the whole reliability of the overclock and the DX10 cards in the future have me wondering if I should wait for conroe.
May 19, 2006 1:25:16 AM

Problem is if you get an 805 you will have to spend at least $200 on a good motherboard and a small fortune on DDR2-667 which barely performs any better than DDR-400 and there is no way to tell if your shinny new board is going to support any of the new CPUs even if it is a 975X.

So your costs would be:

$236+ 975X board

$172 on 2GB DDR2-675 PC2-5400

$130 805

$200+ PCI-Express VGA

$738 Total for hardware assuming the rest of your parts will be able handle the 805's power requirements and the new VGA

$100+ for a PSU if they can't and you're up to $838+

$60+ for a Zalman cooler or better

or

$200-$600 for H2O or other extreme cooling

Total $1038 - $1438 if you don't use air, $898 if you do

Now add an extra $20-$120 / mo in energy costs ( 805 + VGA + AC ) depending on how often you run it and if you OC or not and you can see the 805 is not as good a deal as you might think
May 19, 2006 1:52:00 AM

So your saying for the difference of roughly $750 to $900 i could have the same kit but with a Conroe or something?

Baring in mind that of the 805 items, $360 was spent on the actual items were talking about here, the CPU and the mobo to stick it in. for an extra $150 ($510) i could have a decent Mobo and an entry level Conroe/AM2 system?
I know what the US prices are like, and im only too aware of the UK prices, and neither of are likely to be able to handle the cost of an entry level Conroe/Am2 with even a budget Mobo. So what, jack it up another $100?
Then i dont really want a $200 GFX, i was kinda thinking of something better than my current card, so add another $250... i just dont have all this money to have everything just perfect.

I need something i can work with 8-16 hours a day and on the rare occasion i get to have a play, something capable in the likes of BF2 and whatever else makes an appearance in 2006.

I've already spent a fortune on an X-Fi Fat, Enermax 600 PSU and a few basic things like decent quality fans to replace the ones in the Armor which arrived today (as good as the standards probably are, i dont want blue - thats dealt with in another thread though!) and i'd left myself with the final 4 peices (+ case) needed, the Mobo, CPU, Ram and GFX and those need to fit into a budget, and this has done nicely.

Maybe theres better CPUs coming soon and had i waited and spent another $200-300 i could have had something naturally as fast as the 805 can go, but my income doesnt allow me to do that, i get *tiny* amounts each month barely covering CC bills, and when it rains it pours, i'd been paid for a job the day of the report, and that cheque wasnt going to cover exactly what i wanted. I could have bought the x1900xt instead of wasting $50 on an 'x' and i could have bought 'value' grade memory, and i could have bought a bog standard mobo and whenever the new chips arrived in the UK with an absolutely shocking pricetag on them, maybe i could have afforded one, i dont have a set wage so i cant save $100-200 from each to make up the difference.

I guess there were 2 choices, skimp on everything to get a good CPU, or clock the cr*p out of a budget CPU more than capable of doing work on it and when i get the chance to do some gaming, ive got the gear to back it up and CPUs are playing less and less of a part as the days go by.

What ive 'wasted' money on cost £100/$190 and that wouldnt even get me the AMD x2 3800+ chip let alone something that i was aiming to get (4400+ onwards).

The daftest thing is, i dunno if anyone else making this little step backwards has noticed, but right now the s478 3.0ghz is about 50% more expensive than the D805 2.66ghz. The chip im running costs about as much as i actually wanted to spend on a new processor!! so thats the sort of pricing i had in my head for a CPU, but obviously the market disagrees with what i can get for that much, and i had to look to spend more... until the D 805 anyway.
May 19, 2006 3:00:47 AM

Quote:
So your saying for the difference of roughly $750 to $900 i could have the same kit but with a Conroe or something?

Baring in mind that of the 805 items, $360 was spent on the actual items were talking about here, the CPU and the mobo to stick it in. for an extra $150 ($510) i could have a decent Mobo and an entry level Conroe/AM2 system?
I know what the US prices are like, and im only too aware of the UK prices, and neither of are likely to be able to handle the cost of an entry level Conroe/Am2 with even a budget Mobo. So what, jack it up another $100?
Then i dont really want a $200 GFX, i was kinda thinking of something better than my current card, so add another $250... i just dont have all this money to have everything just perfect.

I need something i can work with 8-16 hours a day and on the rare occasion i get to have a play, something capable in the likes of BF2 and whatever else makes an appearance in 2006.

I've already spent a fortune on an X-Fi Fat, Enermax 600 PSU and a few basic things like decent quality fans to replace the ones in the Armor which arrived today (as good as the standards probably are, i dont want blue - thats dealt with in another thread though!) and i'd left myself with the final 4 peices (+ case) needed, the Mobo, CPU, Ram and GFX and those need to fit into a budget, and this has done nicely.

Maybe theres better CPUs coming soon and had i waited and spent another $200-300 i could have had something naturally as fast as the 805 can go, but my income doesnt allow me to do that, i get *tiny* amounts each month barely covering CC bills, and when it rains it pours, i'd been paid for a job the day of the report, and that cheque wasnt going to cover exactly what i wanted. I could have bought the x1900xt instead of wasting $50 on an 'x' and i could have bought 'value' grade memory, and i could have bought a bog standard mobo and whenever the new chips arrived in the UK with an absolutely shocking pricetag on them, maybe i could have afforded one, i dont have a set wage so i cant save $100-200 from each to make up the difference.

I guess there were 2 choices, skimp on everything to get a good CPU, or clock the cr*p out of a budget CPU more than capable of doing work on it and when i get the chance to do some gaming, ive got the gear to back it up and CPUs are playing less and less of a part as the days go by.

What ive 'wasted' money on cost £100/$190 and that wouldnt even get me the AMD x2 3800+ chip let alone something that i was aiming to get (4400+ onwards).

The daftest thing is, i dunno if anyone else making this little step backwards has noticed, but right now the s478 3.0ghz is about 50% more expensive than the D805 2.66ghz. The chip im running costs about as much as i actually wanted to spend on a new processor!! so thats the sort of pricing i had in my head for a CPU, but obviously the market disagrees with what i can get for that much, and i had to look to spend more... until the D 805 anyway.

My point is the 805 gives the illusion of being a good deal. It is not as good a deal as people might think!

Do not buy the hype!
May 19, 2006 4:25:41 PM

Quote:

My point is the 805 gives the illusion of being a good deal. It is not as good a deal as people might think!

Do not buy the hype!

Now you people are just tugging me from both sides :) . I see what you mean, but those benchmarks @3.8 Ghz on the article were not too shabby. I think my main cause for concern is that Quake 4 runs choppy on my PC. with dual core I could take advantage of multithreading as well as upgrade my 6800 OC to something PCI express.
May 19, 2006 5:42:12 PM

Linux_0,

i'm going to try this with an inexpensive motherboard and see how it works out... then we'll really see if it's gonna be more cost effective than buying a more expensive faster chip. here's the rig i'm gonna put together (all from newegg):

parts dependant on CPU:
$129 - Pentium D 805
$ 90 - ASUS P5ND2-SLI
$101 - CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
$ 64 - ZALMAN CNPS9500
$384

stuff i'm getting regardless of CPU:
$ 50 - ePOWER EP-500XP ATX12V/ EPS12V 500W Power Supply
$174 - Tyris T701DB Black 17" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor
$490 - SAPPHIRE 100150 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB
$714

note that i needed a new PSU anyway. my old one is only 350W + it's causing other problems. maybe i should go with 600W? dunno about that yet. I saw someone else in this thread said they had this mobo and it worked fine for OC'ing the 805. So, assuming this whole thing works out and i can OC to 3.8 (my goal), then wouldn't you say that the performance I'll be getting is a "good deal"? i'm not going to be able to get a better chip /board/memory combo for $384 anywhere. and if i'm wrong, i'd really like to know.
May 19, 2006 7:29:09 PM

Quote:
Linux_0,

i'm going to try this with an inexpensive motherboard and see how it works out... then we'll really see if it's gonna be more cost effective than buying a more expensive faster chip. here's the rig i'm gonna put together (all from newegg):

parts dependant on CPU:
$129 - Pentium D 805
$ 90 - ASUS P5ND2-SLI
$101 - CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
$ 64 - ZALMAN CNPS9500
$384

stuff i'm getting regardless of CPU:
$ 50 - ePOWER EP-500XP ATX12V/ EPS12V 500W Power Supply
$174 - Tyris T701DB Black 17" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor
$490 - SAPPHIRE 100150 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB
$714

note that i needed a new PSU anyway. my old one is only 350W + it's causing other problems. maybe i should go with 600W? dunno about that yet. I saw someone else in this thread said they had this mobo and it worked fine for OC'ing the 805. So, assuming this whole thing works out and i can OC to 3.8 (my goal), then wouldn't you say that the performance I'll be getting is a "good deal"? i'm not going to be able to get a better chip /board/memory combo for $384 anywhere. and if i'm wrong, i'd really like to know.

Over time the 805 could cost you thousands of $ to run in energy and cooling costs alone.

It is an obsolete CPU based on a terrible arch (P4). If you must go Intel at least wait for con-roe[TM].
May 19, 2006 7:51:01 PM

Quote:
Over time the 805 could cost you thousands of $ to run in energy and cooling costs alone.

hmmm... if this is in fact true, i'll definately reconsider this decision. anyone else have any thoughts on the amount of energy needed to run this CPU OC'd?
May 19, 2006 8:02:17 PM

Quote:

hmmm... if this is in fact true, i'll definately reconsider this decision. anyone else have any thoughts on the amount of energy needed to run this CPU OC'd?

Please have a look here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_core...

The system consumes a full 475W @4.1 GHz and about 400W @3.8GHz

and these numbers are conservative in my opinion and do not include overhead.

If you need to invest in a water cooling setup to cool the 805 you have to add at least another $200 - $600 to the acquisition cost.

Your energy costs will be almost double that of any other system so your electric bill would increase significantly.

Plus when your system components are consuming that much power you will be dissipating huge amounts of heat so you will likely have to add an AC unit to the room which will further increase your energy and cooling costs.
May 19, 2006 8:30:59 PM

it doesn't seem like that much of an increase to me... here's a quick calculation i came up with

At idling:

D805 @ 2.66 GHz = .17143 Kw/h * 24 hours in a day * 365 days a year * $0.0855/kw (avg. for Florida) = $128.40

D805 @ 3.80 Ghz = .22568 * 24 * 365 * $0.0855 = $163.40

that's about 35 bucks a year extra. that's idling of course, but it's also assuming the CPU is running 24/7/365 (which mine does not). That's also based on comparing this processor overclocked to itself running at regular speed. how much power does a nicer, more expensive chip consume? i'm guessing more than this one does at 2.66.
May 19, 2006 9:21:49 PM

Quote:
it doesn't seem like that much of an increase to me... here's a quick calculation i came up with

At idling:

D805 @ 2.66 GHz = .17143 Kw/h * 24 hours in a day * 365 days a year * $0.0855/kw (avg. for Florida) = $128.40

D805 @ 3.80 Ghz = .22568 * 24 * 365 * $0.0855 = $163.40

that's about 35 bucks a year extra. that's idling of course, but it's also assuming the CPU is running 24/7/365 (which mine does not). That's also based on comparing this processor overclocked to itself running at regular speed. how much power does a nicer, more expensive chip consume? i'm guessing more than this one does at 2.66.

indeed, I think most people buying this system will be OCing this at max 3.8 Ghz rather than above. If so the power jump is not that great....
May 19, 2006 10:43:54 PM

i did a little more research on the wattage. i found this extreme PSU calculator here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

i plugged in all the info of my new PC i'm building and compared the suggested wattage of the Pentium D 805 and the AMD Athlon X2 4800+ and came up with these numbers:

X2 (at default speed) - 368 W
D805 OC'd at 3.806 and 1.5V - 406 W

so plugging those numbers into my equation above you get a difference per year of $28.46

now, let's compare these prices:
D805 running on the "high end" P5WD2-E Premium - $358
Athlon X2 4800+ (CPU only)- $632

i REALLY don't think power consumption is even an issue here (as far as cost)
May 19, 2006 11:35:43 PM

Quote:
i did a little more research on the wattage. i found this extreme PSU calculator here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

i plugged in all the info of my new PC i'm building and compared the suggested wattage of the Pentium D 805 and the AMD Athlon X2 4800+ and came up with these numbers:

X2 (at default speed) - 368 W
D805 OC'd at 3.806 and 1.5V - 406 W

so plugging those numbers into my equation above you get a difference per year of $28.46

now, let's compare these prices:
D805 running on the "high end" P5WD2-E Premium - $358
Athlon X2 4800+ (CPU only)- $632

i REALLY don't think power consumption is even an issue here (as far as cost)

That is not correct! Actual power consumption is more like 700-900W depending on the efficiency of the PSU.

0.7 * 24 * 365 * 0.0855 = $524.2860

to

0.9 * 24 * 365 * 0.0855 = $674.0820

plus AC and it starts to add up quickly
May 20, 2006 12:07:21 AM

Quote:

That is not correct! Actual power consumption is more like 700-900W depending on the efficiency of the PSU.

Whoa.... glad my PSU is rated at 85% :D  Anyway no matter what its not that bad all things considered the whole "It cost too much in electricity" is way overblown if some one doesnt have a few extra bucks a month to spend on electricity then a computer isnt realy what they are worried about... More likely they would be worried about the best bang for there buck with $2.56 at Burger King...
May 20, 2006 12:43:20 AM

so my question is how much does a 3.2Ghz Prescott suck? I'd assume it'd be just as much considering the temps....
May 20, 2006 1:15:12 AM

Quote:

to

ok, maybe you're missing my point here. you keep saying that this OC'd chip consumes tons of power, but what I'm trying to explain to you is that the difference between the 805 OC'd and the high end chips (i.e. the x2 4800) isn't a big difference. if in fact the power consumption is more depending on the efficiency of the PSU, that goes for ALL CPUs, not just the 805.

i showed in my post above that the difference between the 805 and the X2 is only 38W which translated to about 29 dollars. even if you DOUBLE those numbers, it's still a miniscule ~$58 difference. you are very much exaggerating the power consumption differences here. even if the numbers were tripled (unrealistic), it's a difference of about 90 bucks a YEAR. that doesn't come close to "thousands" that you mentioned above. unless you keep the thing for 10+ years, heh.
May 20, 2006 1:31:47 AM

Quote:

to

ok, maybe you're missing my point here. you keep saying that this OC'd chip consumes tons of power, but what I'm trying to explain to you is that the difference between the 805 OC'd and the high end chips (i.e. the x2 4800) isn't a big difference. if in fact the power consumption is more depending on the efficiency of the PSU, that goes for ALL CPUs, not just the 805.

i showed in my post above that the difference between the 805 and the X2 is only 38W which translated to about 29 dollars. even if you DOUBLE those numbers, it's still a miniscule ~$58 difference. you are very much exaggerating the power consumption differences here. even if the numbers were tripled (unrealistic), it's a difference of about 90 bucks a YEAR. that doesn't come close to "thousands" that you mentioned above. unless you keep the thing for 10+ years, heh.

OC'ing to 4.1 or above almost doubles power consumption and heat dissipation.

The cooling bill will be higher than the power bill for the CPU.
May 20, 2006 1:50:55 AM

ok man. i give up. i completely disagree with you, and i feel i've proved my point here, and that's good enough for me to purchase this chip and enjoy my inexpensive high performance. thanks for trying to help though.
May 20, 2006 1:59:34 AM

Quote:
ok man. i give up. i completely disagree with you, and i feel i've proved my point here, and that's good enough for me to purchase this chip and enjoy my inexpensive high performance. thanks for trying to help though.

If you are an Intel person you will be better served by a 65nm con-roe[TM].

If you are an AMD person you will be better served by a 65nm AMD.

If you are a performance fan wait and see which is better.

The 805 is greatly over hyped.
May 21, 2006 8:42:42 AM

paulc2k,

I'm also going from a 3.0/800/HT Prescott OC'd to 3.6 (20%). But I'm going to a D940. The main problem with the D805 is heat! Slow it down to lower the heat and the performance drops radically. The 3.2 D940 runs stock right up there with the AMD 64x2 4400+ and the Opteron 175. That's pretty good performance without a lot of heat issues. I've been hearing temps of 60C idle and 69C while encoding which is way too hot. Yes, it will run like that, but for how long. I'm sure that the heat won't do the other componants any good either. Room temperature has a lot to do with it as well I actually read a post where some guy claimed temps of 31C to 47C. Yea sure! with a vapochill compressor unit or liquid nitrogen, maybe!

Happy Computering
May 21, 2006 9:18:05 AM

PaulC2K,

I found an Asus MB that not only has 4x/8/x AGP but uses DDR 400 memory. It was critical to my new build because I only had $375 to spare for a CPU & MB. Check this one out!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

It has great overclocking and memory timing abilities and a 16x PCIe slot as wellas the AGP. Be warned, it only runs at 4X. I have AGP anyway (an XFX5200) and 2 Gigs of premium memory so that's why I went that direction. I have everything else I need. It should run great with the D940 Pressler I just ordered. I plan to replace this MB and go to DDR2 and a PCIe 7900GT extreme Edition when my finances improve and use it for a computer to sell, maybe with a D805 in it.

By the way, Ignore the reviews. The people complaining about it couldn't find their behind with both hands let alone no what their doing when building a computer. Read them, some of them are rediculous!

happy Computering
theonejrs
!