Mobo for the Pentium D 805

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
For those who haven't read the article on the frontpage... this seems to be a great deal in processors and I'm basing my new rig around it. What would you recommend for a motherboard? Keep in mind it needs to have overclocking potential.

Somban

PaulC2K

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I was planning on waiting for the AM2 chips, but having read that review and knowing i can pay a budget price for something which may well be on pretty close measure to something i just cant justify the price of, im planning on doing exactly the same thing.

Looking around, it seems this is probably the daddy or as good as any other:
http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=981&modelmenu=1
Its £130 in the UK (www.savastore.com) and Newegg have it in for $220 or $175 OEM (dont think ive ever seen Mobo's going OEM before!)

Its a touch over what i'd wanted to spend, but not out of my budget, and considering the cost of the CPU is at least 1/3 what i thought i'd be paying, bring it on!

Im glad i spotted it a few hours ago too, it means i can justify spending slightly more on the other aspects i'll be buying as everything else is stuck on the old technology (s478, AGP & DDR1 etc) so I can happily justify paying for the extra X on the end of a new Gfx card (either 79 or x19) and know i've saved a bundle on the CPU aspect.

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Heh, I'm in the same boat as you. I bet we have comprable current setups. Keep me apprised to what you choose.

Somban

PaulC2K

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
sure, no problem :)

im currently looking over the options for cooling, i'm pretty set on the Asus P5WD2-E Premium at the moment. Not having a case ready (nor will i for a couple of weeks, unless i pay £10 more and find someone with them in stock) and the size of the cooler is a concern, but im getting the Thermaltake Armor case and its a big enough thing so im not expecting there to be height issues.

Out of interest, are you 'downgrading to upgrade' your rig?
Im going from the s478 3.0ghz which is guess is partially a backwards step, and im pretty sure you cant buy this CPU for £79.99 hehe (£119 @ scan.co.uk) but i want a dual core CPU as i tend to have a fair amount of programs running on my machine (Dual screen... its just too tempting to have everything open!) and if i can get it into the 3.8-4.0ghz area and keep it nice and happy, then that'll do me just fine, i'll get 12-24 months from that, i cant say my current CPU struggles to be fair.

I've already got an Enermax 600wt PSU so juice wont be a problem there, only other things im looking at are Mobo Cooling & Memory (probably 2gb Corsair TwinX PC2-6400 /800mhz)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I went a little cheap on the mobo for my build ECS I know they had problems with quality in the past but this bourd seems pretty good and its got all the OCing options and so far so good after a week of 24 hour use (other then reboots for patches and installs) I have my 805D @ 3.6 on the stock cooler I havent tried to OC more becouse of the cooling it gets a little hot under load.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?CategoryID=1&TypeID=32&DetailID=584&MenuID=16&LanID=9

was 68$ USD after a 10$ rebate so its SLI on the cheap lol

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Paul - I'm also going from p478 3.0. I think this will be quite an upgrade eventhough I'll be keeping about the same clock speed. I also upgrade in the 12-24 month range. I think this will be a good purchase cause I can justify dumping a bit more into the video card due to the relatively low price of the cpu.

Somban

PaulC2K

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
yeah, thats what i was doing, until i somehow decided that seeing as i was saving £200 on the CPU i'd start throwing money around!

Ordered:
Asus P5WD2-E Premium Mobo (the link i listed earlier was for premium, not -E version)
2gb Geil Ultra @ DDR2-800
MSI X1900 XTX
TTake Armor (black)
£30 worth of Optx lighting (special offer, so bought cos its too expensive to justify normally)

Havent bought the CPU yet and im already running out of cash!
Annoyingly i kinda spent upto my daily limit on the debit card and im not gonna be back till Saturday so the other bits like the CPU i wont get till Tuesday at the earliest.
It looks like i'll be going with the Zalman CNPS9500 with the stupid blue LEDs in there which im going to get angry at while the rest of my PC has red lighting in there! Also waiting for Akasa Amber fans to come in stock, good price while very effective and quiet, no LEDs in them thank god! :D :roll:

chiipaschips

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
But what mobo(and ram) would be good for a cheap setup,I can't afford that much right now..
Any simple guides out there about 775 chipsets,there's far too many?
Which cheap ram still does a decent job?
Got a nice thermaltake case that should easily handle heat,just shame about the noise it makes..
Any advice be handy!
Ta,Simon.

bennyg55

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
The great thing about the 805 is that it's FSB is reduced to 533MHz - and ALL 775 boards are made for 800MHz FSB at least - so pretty much any mobo can handle a decent OC - the "enthusiast" boards can just go further past 800. When OCed to 800, the 2.66/533 D-805 is running at 4.0GHz, which will be more than enough for most cooling setups (and certainly for the stock HSF) - THG had to use water cooling - now tell me what the point of buying a cheapo chip is if you use $100's of water cooling on it :?:

The real choice is between a DDR2/PCIe setup (e.g. P5WD2 etc) and the older DDR/AGP (with the 865PE chipset - the P5P800-SE is the way to go, and it's not too expensive either - which is why I am seriously considering replacing my Northy 2.4B with it even though I'm getting a new Conroe-based comp and money spent now is effectively a waste)

Try the Wikipedia entry for "Intel Chipsets" or something, that will have more info than you can poke a stick at

chiipaschips

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Thanks Benny,That'd save me the price of a graphics card,though maybe if I sold my AIW9800Pro the money would pay for a PCI-e that's just as fast(I don't use the extended features any more).
Ta,Simon.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Abit IL8

Based in 945P it will suport your 805 CPU. Anc it will be far cheaper than any other board. (if you are looking for bang for buck)

Best thing.... Abit MBs are quite good for OC, with loads of options.

sprite

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Anyone know of a socket 775 motherboard that supports a Pentium D 805, has DDR RAM (so i don't have to buy new stuff), uses a 975x chipset (so i can upgrade to Conroe later), has PCI-e and has SATA II ?

linux_0

Splendid
Anyone know of a socket 775 motherboard that supports a Pentium D 805, has DDR RAM (so i don't have to buy new stuff), uses a 975x chipset (so i can upgrade to Conroe later), has PCI-e and has SATA II ?

I do not believe such an animal exists.

You will be able to get less expensive S939's that will use your current DDR soon enough :-D

sprite

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
You're right, i'll just stick with my Athlon 3700 for now and upgrade to duel core later, just out of interest - what's the best Athlon X2 to get ? (off topic i know but ... meh)

linux_0

Splendid
You're right, i'll just stick with my Athlon 3700 for now and upgrade to duel core later, just out of interest - what's the best Athlon X2 to get ? (off topic i know but ... meh)

If you do not plan to OC:
Price/performance wise probably the X2 3800

If you plan to OC:
The Opteron 165 Dual Core is probably your best bet

With the release of AM2 in 9 days, the release of con-roe[TM] over the Summer and 65nm AMDs on the way it's probably a good idea to wait and see what happens :-D

The AM2 release may not affect prices much but the Intel release should push prices lower and the 65nm AMD release further still.

Good luck :-D

guyinyourattic37

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Don't get your hopes up. Some 805s can't go too high. I was unlucky enough to get one of them.
The CPU we purchased for testing shows an internal voltage setting of 1.3375 V.

The voltage level you see on your Pentium D 805 must be the same or lower for you to attain the same overclocking result we achieved or do better.

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Don't get your hopes up. Some 805s can't go too high. I was unlucky enough to get one of them.
The CPU we purchased for testing shows an internal voltage setting of 1.3375 V.

The voltage level you see on your Pentium D 805 must be the same or lower for you to attain the same overclocking result we achieved or do better.

I'm just hoping for 3.8 Ghz =/

but no really, does anyone know if the P5ND2-SLI is a decent MB for this?

linux_0

Splendid
regarded the DDR ram it is backwards compatible as far as i know and DDR2 will work in a DDR1 slot...

I'm sorry you have been misinformed.

DDR2 will not work in DDR1 slots

DDR2 and DDR1 are not electrically or physically compatible!

DDR1 DIMMs have 184pins and run at about 2.5V DC

DDR2 DIMMs have 240pins and run at about 1.9 - 2.1V DC

Even if you could plug 240pin DDR2 DIMMs into 184pin DDR1 slots the extra voltage would fry them.

craigspc

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

Hi, I bought this very same board a couple of days ago and it works fine(so far). It lacks a few features of the deluxe model (like extra USB ports, firewire, and an external SATA connector), but the BIOS seems to give me seperate control over FSB, PCI-E, Memory speeds etc.

I'm currently at 190MHz fsb and (touch wood) everything seems stable. I'm cooling on air at the moment using a Vanessa L Type cooler. With the case closed, the temp seems to bounce between 44-45 degrees at idle and raises to 54 when I run PC Mark 2005.

I'm very happy with the cooler as it came with fittings for several different board/CPU types. Prior to buying this board I was using it on an Asus P4P800SE board with a Prescot 3.2E processor. The temperature with this new CPU seems pretty much identical to the prescot when running at 4GHz. It seems a heck of a lot faster than the prescot though.

I'm new to the forum so I'll have to read up on what results others are having with temperatures. For me the results I'm getting seem quite good, but it's not a particularly hot day today.

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006

Hi, I bought this very same board a couple of days ago and it works fine(so far). It lacks a few features of the deluxe model (like extra USB ports, firewire, and an external SATA connector), but the BIOS seems to give me seperate control over FSB, PCI-E, Memory speeds etc.

I'm currently at 190MHz fsb and (touch wood) everything seems stable. I'm cooling on air at the moment using a Vanessa L Type cooler. With the case closed, the temp seems to bounce between 44-45 degrees at idle and raises to 54 when I run PC Mark 2005.

I'm very happy with the cooler as it came with fittings for several different board/CPU types. Prior to buying this board I was using it on an Asus P4P800SE board with a Prescot 3.2E processor. The temperature with this new CPU seems pretty much identical to the prescot when running at 4GHz. It seems a heck of a lot faster than the prescot though.

I'm new to the forum so I'll have to read up on what results others are having with temperatures. For me the results I'm getting seem quite good, but it's not a particularly hot day today.

very nice, haha i'm in a very similar situation. I currently have a Asus P4P800SE w/ a Prescot 3.2 Processor as well. Would you say it is worth upgrading to the 805 and OCing it with this board? My Prescott just isn't cutting it for quake 4 and my current geforce 6800 just isn't cutting it either so this is a chance for me to up to PCI-express x16. If so i'm gonna jump straight on it. :D thanks!

also, i'm looking for 2GB of memory if anyone see's anything worth buying hah

On the flipside does anyone think it would be more wise to upgrade to a conroe ready MB instead and are there any on the market as of now?
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Intel_D975XBX_Motherboard,__16029938
Supposedly Currently newegg is shipping the Rev 304 required. too bad newegg isnt the cheapest.

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
are you sure the P5WDG2-WS is conroe compatible? I was under the impression only the 2 intel boards were and only one with a mod.

stackoverflow

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Hello,

I am not looking for overclocking the 805.
Can you please suggest a good motherboard which will run the 805 at a good speed.

I heard that ASUS P5LD2 (945 G ) has memory addressing problems.
I also heard that the 945G based motherboards can't address the full 4GB memory.
Is it true?

Please suggest a good motherboard.

Anybody has used Intel D945GNT seried motherboard?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Paul - I'm also going from p478 3.0. I think this will be quite an upgrade eventhough I'll be keeping about the same clock speed. I also upgrade in the 12-24 month range. I think this will be a good purchase cause I can justify dumping a bit more into the video card due to the relatively low price of the cpu.

Somban

I think upgrading from a P478 3.0 to a Socket 775 Pentium D 805 is a HORRIBLE idea... that's almost a lateral "upgrade" and it's made even worse if the board you buy isn't Conroe compatible... yes, I have a dual-core laptop and a dual-core desktop at home and I love them both, but that just doesn't seem to be an upgrade that is worth the money... will it be faster? Sure, a little... but christ at what cost?!?