x0o

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Hi! Really need help with this, ive looked for help in a few other forums, but ive got my hopes up for tomshardware.

Ive just put one of my "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HDD (6y160p0)" - disks into a "Techsolo TMF-3560" external storage case. The harddrive is jumpered as master, but i get the same problem when setting it to "cable select" and "slave".

When i connect the case to my Acer 5024WLMi with usb 2.0 i get this error message:
"Found new hardware
A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."
After that nothing happens. The device manager keeps updating, but doesent find or install anything. Cant find it in "Disk management" either.

Both my mp3-player and my usb-mouse connect without any problems.
I use Windows XP Professional Corporate, SP2 with all the updates. I tried my external drive on my machine with win2003ent, and it worked just fine. But i get the same problem on my third computer also using xp pro corp sp2.

Ive googled this problem for a long time now and found that a number of people have the exact same problem with sp2. Lots of problems but no answers.

Anyone? Give it a shot!

edit: Tried it in another computer with xp pro now, and it worked fine there ):

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 IrDA Fast Infrared Port OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCSI/RAID Host Controller OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 17 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK
IRQ 17 SoftV90 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP OK
IRQ 18 ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 OK
IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 20 Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller OK
IRQ 20 Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller OK
IRQ 20 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 22 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC OK

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
XP Pro Corporate editon is NOT the same thing as XP Pro.
It lack many drivers and hardware supportn (and many other things) in order to achieve lower memory footprint.

I tried the that device with standard XP Pro and worked fine, can you please post the exact build revision of you OS?

x0o

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
did the one you try it on have sp2 installed?
Yes it does.

XP Pro Corporate editon is NOT the same thing as XP Pro.
It lack many drivers and hardware supportn (and many other things) in order to achieve lower memory footprint.
Wow, that was news for me!

can you please post the exact build revision of you OS?
Sure: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.051019-1519)

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
First of all I'm correctimg my previous post: I do have a Corporate edition XP Pro.

Exact build of your's, 2600.
But on my system it works... are you sure you haven't installed "strange" USB that can have corrupted the standard Mass Storage drivers?

x0o

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
First of all I'm correctimg my previous post: I do have a Corporate edition XP Pro.

Exact build of your's, 2600.
But on my system it works... are you sure you haven't installed "strange" USB that can have corrupted the standard Mass Storage drivers?
Yes, im sure.. :/

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi! Really need help with this, ive looked for help in a few other forums, but ive got my hopes up for tomshardware.

Ive just put one of my "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HDD (6y160p0)" - disks into a "Techsolo TMF-3560" external storage case. The harddrive is jumpered as master, but i get the same problem when setting it to "cable select" and "slave".

When i connect the case to my Acer 5024WLMi with usb 2.0 i get this error message:
"Found new hardware
A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."
After that nothing happens. The device manager keeps updating, but doesent find or install anything. Cant find it in "Disk management" either.

Both my mp3-player and my usb-mouse connect without any problems.
I use Windows XP Professional Corporate, SP2 with all the updates. I tried my external drive on my machine with win2003ent, and it worked just fine. But i get the same problem on my third computer also using xp pro corp sp2.

Ive googled this problem for a long time now and found that a number of people have the exact same problem with sp2. Lots of problems but no answers.

Anyone? Give it a shot!

edit: Tried it in another computer with xp pro now, and it worked fine there ):

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 IrDA Fast Infrared Port OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCSI/RAID Host Controller OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 17 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK
IRQ 17 SoftV90 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP OK
IRQ 18 ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 OK
IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 20 Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller OK
IRQ 20 Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller OK
IRQ 20 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 22 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC OK

Goto the case makers website and install the driver they use.
The only other thing that comes to mind is some cases won't let you format a drive....you may need to format the drive in the computer case first.

ikaz

Distinguished
You should also look at the device manager and see if there are any question marks under USB drivers. It could be using 1.1 usb default drive which maybe ok for your mp3 player and mouse but the HD enclosure may want a 2.0 driver.

Also make sure there are no new drivers for your Mobo. The only other thing I think could be a problem is if its trying to install the wrong driver for that device. I had a similar problem with a friends phone that you could hook up to the PC via usb. It would auto setup it up with the incorrect driver. I had to delete the INf file from the windows directory then when it couldn't find the driver it would ask for the location of the driver. At that point I would point it to the correct driver it would copy it into the windows directory and then the phone would work correctly.

x0o

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Goto the case makers website and install the driver they use.
The only other thing that comes to mind is some cases won't let you format a drive....you may need to format the drive in the computer case first.
They dont offer any drivers for xp, just for 98. The drive is already formatted, ntfs.. Any other ideas?

You should also look at the device manager and see if there are any question marks under USB drivers. It could be using 1.1 usb default drive which maybe ok for your mp3 player and mouse but the HD enclosure may want a 2.0 driver.
There are no question marks under any category. :/ How do i check if its using usb 1.1? And how do i get the usb 2.0 driver?

Also make sure there are no new drivers for your Mobo. The only other thing I think could be a problem is if its trying to install the wrong driver for that device. I had a similar problem with a friends phone that you could hook up to the PC via usb. It would auto setup it up with the incorrect driver. I had to delete the INf file from the windows directory then when it couldn't find the driver it would ask for the location of the driver. At that point I would point it to the correct driver it would copy it into the windows directory and then the phone would work correctly.
Ill check for mobo-drivers, but im quite sure i have the newest ones already :/ And i cant delete any inf's because i dont have any to replace them with?

x0o

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Hi! Solved it by diabling usb 2 support, and used usb 1.1 instead! XP sp2 still has usb2-bugs.. :lol: