New Mac Minis Due to be Announced During Apple Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

oh joy they are going to update the mac mini, just what i was waiting for

what other computer costs twice as much and gives you half the hardware

at least it comes with osx and not windows 8 ;)

G

jbx007 thinks hardware is all you get when you buy an Apple

you get cheap OS upgrades

The price advantage of a Windows machine disappears at the first upgrade

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jbx007[/nom]oh joy they are going to update the mac mini, just what i was waiting forwhat other computer costs twice as much and gives you half the hardwareat least it comes with osx and not windows 8[/citation]
It may come with osx but can it run Crysis? No. Oh, I guess there's "bootcamp".

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]One time someone gave me a mac mini...I stripped the hard drive out and tossed it in the trash...[/citation]
If it was new, you should have sold it. Could have bought an entire desktop for the price.

G

I bought a Mac Mini in late-2005, and it is still doing all that I bought it for: managing my media, and general end-user computing.
Admittedly, it did have an issue with the display, it was an easy fix after taking it apart and checking the ribbon connector. After that, whenever the same issue occurred, I could always fix it with a head-butt - seriously.
The most carefree computer I have ever had; Worth ever New Taiwan Dollar I paid for it.
I'd sooner buy a 2nd-hand Mac than buy a new PC (but I don't usually tell anyone that).

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]It may come with osx but can it run Crysis? No. Oh, I guess there's "bootcamp".[/citation]
Why would you care about Crysis? You don't buy one of these to play games.

Having said that, I've been impressed with Intel's HD4000 graphics chippery (MacBook Retina with Nvidia GPU forced off). It's a lot faster than I expected, pretty much qualifies as a basic discreet card. Maybe half as fast as the GT650M in the same laptop.

This is only relevant assuming the new Mac Mini CPUs are Ivy Bridge parts, of course.

G

i was thinking it over and you know it's smart for apple to introduce new computers this fall just around the time that microsoft releases windows 8

in fact i think that windows 8 will be apples best selling point!

i would venture to say that apple should gain some amount of market share as over the coming months people buy new pcs and upgrade existing ones and see windows 8 in all it's epic fail.

although i'm not an financial anything i would say over the coming year it is still a good idea to short microsoft and buy apple stock

hopefully this will result in left overs from the last century like ballmer who have been depressing microsoft stock prices like for a decade finally being put to pasture.

and thats a good thing for both microsoft and the rest of us who use pcs

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Wow, that thing still comes with 2GB RAM as a base? Mountain Lion is janky as anything on that little even for casual use. The iMac seems like such a better value than the Mini, it needs to at least get a quad core and 4GB as a base.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I like my Mini but it is a slightly older one (last DVD drive generation) with the DVD drive. I use it for all my old legacy PC games, run them on it under XP in a Bootcamp partition, works great.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]One time someone gave me a mac mini...I stripped the hard drive out and tossed it in the trash...[/citation]
Dunkoff, look it up.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]N[/nom]jbx007 thinks hardware is all you get when you buy an Appleyou get cheap OS upgradesThe price advantage of a Windows machine disappears at the first upgrade[/citation]

If by cheap upgrades you mean things that esentially amount to Service Packs that you have to pay for... yea OSX is way cheaper than Windows and its free Service Packs.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]N[/nom]you get cheap OS upgrades[/citation]

You get a small OS update every year for a price, Windows waits a few years for a bigger update. And Windows 8 is moving to a cheaper price anyways.

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Actually the spelling is wrong.The correct German is 'Dummkopf".[/citation]

I think you need to google dunkoff as well as it means something totally different to dummkopf you arschloch haha.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Sure, the $1199 iMac is a bit more computer [plus a built-in 21" display] than the $999 Mac Mini -- but if you are going to plug it into your TV as a media server and not use it as a desktop computer, then maybe you sacrifice some power for to have that little box in t=your entertainment center?

Tack on, that even the low-end dual-core i5 for $599 is more than enough for media center type duties, so in that case do you really want to spend twice as much for a display you don't need and horsepower you won't use?

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Sure, the $1199 iMac is a bit more computer [plus a built-in 21" display] than the $999 Mac Mini -- but if you are going to plug it into your TV as a media server and not use it as a desktop computer, then maybe you sacrifice some power for to have that little box in t=your entertainment center?Tack on, that even the low-end dual-core i5 for $599 is more than enough for media center type duties, so in that case do you really want to spend twice as much for a display you don't need and horsepower you won't use?[/citation]

Even a media center would benefit from more than 2GB RAM on Mountain Lion, even a media center would benefit from an included freaking keyboard and mouse, talk about nickel and diming. The imac, with better hardware and that high end IPS display, manages to include those. It's gouging whichever way you cut it.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
My single-core Atom CPU netbook with 1GB of RAM has no problem outputting video to a TV, so I'm pretty sure the i5 with 2 GB of RAM will have no trouble. Sure 4Gb would be better, you can either pay Apple $100 for that or get it for $40 online and install it yourself.

I'm not saying that it is some great bargain; you can do a mini ITX build for probably $300-400 [don't forget to buy your OS license :)], but I'm also not going to say that it is a bargain to spend $600 more to get an extra 2GB RAM and a faster CPU that typically won't be needed and a display you don't need [and may actually be a negative if you are trying to put this in an entertainment center and have limited space].

I agree that it'd be really nice if Apple could toss in a keyboard and mouse :)

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
With a wireless keyboard and mouse and upgraded to 4GB of RAM, the current Mac Mini comes out to $767; so we're still talking $432 extra to get a faster CPU [that you may or may not need] and a 21" TFT [not IPS] non-removable display [that you might not want].

Status
Not open for further replies.